Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Keep the academy in St Bess'

"Keep the academy in St Bess'
    President of the St Elizabeth Football Association comes out against mooted movePAUL A REID, Observer West Writer
    reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, January 03, 2008

MALVERN, St Elizabeth
    Courtney Brown, president of the St Elizabeth Football Association, wants the Jamaica Football Federation's (JFF) academy and training centre to remain in Malvern.

Brown, who was part of the delegation that toured the facilities recently, said he hoped the JFF's executive would take the decision to keep their 3.5-acre facility and would lobby to that end.

A decision on the site for the FIFA-funded academy was to have been made last week, but was deferred until the end of January by which time a review committee is expected to make further reports.

At a recent site inspection by a high -profile team from the JFF, two senior members of the JFF's administration came out against the academy remaining at its present location in the hills of St Elizabeth, directly across from Munro College where the practice fields are to be located.

Former JFF president Lincoln 'Happy' Sutherland and Howard McIntosh, Chairman of the JFF's Technical Committee gave the project thumbs down after the tour with Sutherland, saying the facility was more in keeping with a "boot camp" as opposed to an academy.

On the other side, two other members of the JFF, Academy Committee chairman Carvel Stewart and second vice-president Bruce Gaynor of the St James Football Association, gave their approval.

Debate over the location of the academy has increased since the return of the Horace Burrell-led administration which has promised to "re-examine the issue of the location" of the facility.

The facility, which is being built with funds from FIFA under the Goal Project programme, has so far cost in the region of $35 million.

After the tour, Brown, who was reported to have given a scathing report on the project two months ago, calling it "a waste of FIFA's money", told the Observer West that the location of the academy in the parish would mean a boost for the sport there.

In addition to attracting more sponsorship, he said, the young players would also benefit from the presence of national players and coaches being there.

"An academy in the parish would generate more sponsorship from within the parish and to the parish. Our biggest sponsor now is Wray and Nephew (through Appleton Rum) and despite their main operations being in the parish we have to communicate with the Kingston office for our sponsorship," he said.

Seeking to clarify reports carried in the Observer West recently that he was visiting the facilities for the first time during the tour, Brown said, "It was not the first time I have gone to the property but it was the first time I was meeting the contractor and given a detailed tour of the facilities."

His first impression, he said, was that as a "St Elizabeth man I have always welcomed the idea of the academy being here and I will always welcome it. It has been my personal view that since it has been started and having reached so far and having such great potential it should be allowed to remain here, it should not be moved anywhere else."

Brown said, "If another location is then identified, we should go for a second academy but by all means this one should remain."

There were still some concerns, he said, over some aspects of the facility, the size of some of the areas and the long time it was taking to get it finished.

He said, "My opinion is that the kitchen is still too small, but the dining area, now that we know that there is a patio addition, I am satisfied with the explanation."

Brown said he was "deeply concerned with the length of time it is taking to complete the project- this new administration should have come into office to see a finished product, then we would not be having this discussion."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

sometimes if you follow people feeling you will think different. It goes to show that Burrell is not the dictator that they make him out to be. People on the panel have different opinions and that is good.

I was thinking Brown would have to be foolish not to want the academy in St.Bess. I hope they solve the problems and move ahead. Only other argument is where is the next academy?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Why don't they (we) complete the venture at Malvern then use it solely as a Youth Academy.

I think the JFF could make a distinction between the youth academy and a national training center for the senior team.

Since The Captain is concerned about taking the national squad that far for game preparation, then a nearby site (GC Foster, Sligo Ville or even Portmore) could be considered as a designated NTC spot for the senior team. There is no hard and fast rule stipulating that both entities (Youth Academy and National Training Center) MUST be at the same location.
      "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Good argument Farmah.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I'm curious to hear The Prof's views on the Academy issue.
          "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

me too. I think he would support it. The isolation, and the abiltiy to teach youngsters.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Prof may decide to take side with his employers. He may want to be on their good side, so he may hold his view until he has had a chance to see the locations. Then he may weigh his thoughts as to what he thinks his bosses want. He may not want to rock the boat too much.
              Last edited by Tilla; January 5, 2008, 02:52 PM.
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

True!

Comment

I don't think so. Simoes is all about his job. You see he held no bone for the Iranian?

He said if them try and pick one member of his side then he doesn't want the job anymore. He may not have the influence and final say but I gurantee you that he is going put his weight one way or another. You notice on his return he said he wanted to be in control of EVERY team?

Comment

Farmer I think that is exactly what going to happen but Mo and company may not like that.

Burrell is a politician and a businessman more than a dictator.

Comment

There is no doubt that the prof may feel that team selection should be his responsibility. He may not feel the same way about where to put the academy, although he just might, especially when you consider that he it could directly affect his job.

Comment

Sass, when you are being paid US$600,000/yearly common sense dictates that you think long and wisely before you publicly oppose your boss. Yes, the Prof has shown in his previous stints to be a man of his own doing. However, I think that on this trip (and especially re the Academy issue) he will have a closed-door meeting with the Captain before he comments.

And I would bet that both himself and the Captain will eventually have
                        similiar views on the issue.
                        Last edited by Farmah; January 5, 2008, 03:04 PM.

Comment

The prof will do the wise and judicious thing in the situation. Don't expect him to go out and start making a case as to where the academy should be which may be at conflict with the wishes of his bosses.

Comment

I think he will be persuasive in his argument which can only force Burrell to listen and if others do the same the academy might just stay same place.

Comment

da bredda ya a real idiat!

Comment

Working...
                              X