X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long overdue: Halliman looking forward to national duties

Halliman looking forward to national duties
    published: Saturday | January 5, 2008

Anthony Minott/[COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Freelance[/COLOR][/COLOR] Photographer
    Coach Halliman (right) smiles with Bridgeport High coach Anthony Patrick after both schools advanced to the Manning Cup final in 2006.
    Glenroy Sinclair, Assignment Coordinator
    More than a decade ago, he was given the task to qualify the national Under-17 team for the 1995 Youth World Cup Finals.
    Although the national team defeated Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) finals, they lost to Canada in the play-offs, thus failing to [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]cement[/COLOR][/COLOR] a place in the finals.
    But after many successful years at Excelsior High, Kingston Technical and Calabar High, nurturing and developing talent at the Manning Cup level, coach Lebert Halliman has once again been drafted into the national football programme - this time under the stewardship of Captain Horace Burrell, president of the [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR] Football Federation (JFF).
    He will be working alongside the Brazilian, Professor René Simoes, who is scheduled to arrive in the island today to take up the job of technical director of the national programme.
    "I am not sure what exactly will be my role," said Hailliman, who has worked with Simoes in the past.
    The other members of the national youth programme are Patrick 'Jackie' Walters, Dr. Dean Weatherly, John Green and former JFF president, Tony James, who is chairman of the youth committee.
    Developing talent
    Reports are that they will be responsible for scouting and developing talent at that level.
    "I am happy to be a part of the youth programme," said Halliman, who got his first lien on the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) Malta Under-16 title last month. This was after Excelsior defeated Kingston College 2-1 in the finals.
    Both Halliman and Jackie Walters are easily the two most successful schoolboy coaches. With the assistance of the late David 'Wagga' Hunt, they went close to qualifying the Under-17 team for the Youth World Cup in 1991.
    "We were undefeated in the CFU championship, without conceding a goal," said Halliman.
    The tall, dark-complexioned coach, who customarily [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]sports[/COLOR][/COLOR] a half smile when in the best of moods, shot to fame in 1987 when St. Andrew Technical High stunned the football [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]fraternity[/COLOR][/COLOR] by slamming the overwhelming favourites, Excelsior, 6-1, for Halliman to win the Manning Cup title for the first time.
    Since that sweet victory, he has moved to Kingston Technical, where he won the Walker Cup, a title they later lost after he found out, then reported that one of his players had exceeded the age limit for competitors. He later went to Calabar High, before settling down at his alma mater (Excelsior), which he guided to three of the past five Manning Cup finals, winning in the 2004-05 season.
    Undoubtedly one of the most disciplined schoolboy coaches, Halliman believes Jamaica has the talent and with more pride, discipline and committment, the team can reach places. "With an experienced president like Captain Burrell, I think we will be a force to reckon with in CONCACAF where youth football is concerned," said Halliman, who was recently honoured by the Excelsior Past Students' Association's Miami chapter for his achievements.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Congrats to Leebert!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

2nd dat ....!
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
      X