Stoke 3 West Brom 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoke 3 West Brom 1

HAT-TRICK hero Ricardo Fuller insists he is a fighter not a quitter — as West Brom found to their cost.

WIZARD POTTER ... Stoke hero Ricardo Fuller fires in his second

Potters hotshot Fuller was rejected by Albion as a raw 21-year-old.

And the Jamaican hitman showed them what they missed as he destroyed Tony Mowbray’s high-fliers to put Stoke in line for a shot at the Premier League.

Fuller had a trial for West Brom’s reserves six years ago.

He scored three goals but the club sent him back to the Caribbean as he was not considered the finished article.

But Fuller, 28, looks it now. He has 11 goals to his name this season as well as a new contract extension keeping him at Stoke until 2011.

And he has helped guide the Potters to fourth in the Championship thanks to a seven-game unbeaten run.

Fuller said: “The West Brom trial is not so important now as it was way back. But I’ve had a lot of bad luck with injuries in my career and it’s a good job I’m not a quitter.

“If I was then I wouldn’t be doing what I am today.

“I’m a fighter and I will continue to fight.”

Fuller admits his new deal gives him the security he craves after joining his sixth English club 18 months ago.

And the result is clear with five goals in two matches.

He added: “Happiness and comfort are two of the most important things in a footballer’s life.

“If I’m settled then I’ve got less to worry about. It means I can concentrate 150 per cent on my job.

“Money is important, but it’s not everything. Coming to Stoke was all about faith and I never doubted it would come off. I don’t play football to live, I live to play football.”

Albion had plenty of the match but found stubborn Stoke a tough nut to crack and paid for some bad defending.

Baggies boss Mowbray was clearly unimpressed with City’s spoiling tactics but his side did not look like ending their dismal 25-year run without a win at Stoke.

When striker Roman Bednar was denied by keeper Steve Simonsen, having finally opened Albion’s account with a 72nd-minute header, it was clear the jinx would continue.

Fuller said: “I have no idea why West Brom never seem to win against us. We’re moving up the table and we want to get out of this league.”

Fuller opened the scoring after five minutes from Mama Sidibe’s pass.

He grabbed his second in the 38th minute with an angled drive and cut inside to complete a superb third senior hat-trick on 66 minutes.

West Brom keeper Dean Kiely said: “I’ve played against him before and he’s formidable.

“We imposed ourselves in the second half but we had already dug ourselves into a hole. We coughed and spluttered as a team.

“Ourselves, Watford and Charlton could all make cases for being 10 points clear.

“But we are going into the Christmas programme with everything tight. This is a massive time.”

SUN STAR MAN

RICARDO FULLER (Stoke). Deadly accurate finishing.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran
Working...
X