X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fight did Rafa no good

Gillett gives backing to Benitez

Benitez has had disagreements with Liverpool's owners

Liverpool co-owner George Gillett has given his full support to Reds manager Rafael Benitez after clear-the-air talks with the Spaniard on Sunday.
    Benitez met with Gillett and co-owner Tom Hicks hours after Sunday's 1-0 defeat by Manchester United at Anfield.
    Gillett told the Liverpool Echo: "Rafa is the one we want as manager further on, and we have faith in him.
    "I've been married over 40 years and have first-hand knowledge about how to solve an argument."
    The talks had been planned for several weeks after the trio had a highly-publicised row over the American tycoons' transfer policy, casting doubt over Benitez's position.
    606: DEBATE

It will take a mammoth effort for Benitez to finally realise the dream of bringing the title back to Liverpool

BBC Sport's Phil McNulty

Gillett, who was speaking at a meeting of the Liverpool Former Players' Association, added: "This wasn't supposed to happen, but it has happened, and now the focus has to be on finding a common platform to continue our co-operation."
    However, the American hinted that a decision has yet to be made on Liverpool's transfer policy in the January transfer window.
    "The transfer window opens soon and we might use the option that gives us, or we might not," Gillett added.
    "Liverpool is a great club. We are well aware that we have something very valuable in our hands."
    Earlier, Liverpool had insisted the talks between Benitez and the club's American owners on Sunday were "amicable" and "constructive".
    "A meeting was held which was wide ranging and positive," said a statement on Liverpool's official website.
    "The discussions were amicable and constructive. All those present are united in their desire to bring further success to the club."
    Hicks and Gillett were at Anfield to watch United deliver a vital blow to their title rivals, thanks to Carlos Tevez's first-half winner.
    Liverpool are now nine points adrift of United and 10 behind leaders Arsenal in the title race, albeit with a game in hand on both. About the game, Benitez said: "We had our chances and didn't take them. They had just one and that was the difference. "In the second half we saw they were compact, working hard in defence, trying to play the counter. In the second half we had two or three chances and for me, that was the difference."
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

here is the question. Is this why Jose held out of the England job. Its seems he things that there is another high profile job on the horizon. I dont think its Barca as Johan makes the decision there and I dont see Jose football as attractive to Johan. Really I am surprised he did not want the England job.

Comment

Real Madrid or Milan. Remember Portugal job a go open up soon too.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        Real Madrid or Milan. Remember Portugal job a go open up soon too.
        My money is on AC Milan. Sass, how you come up with Real Madrid?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

All well them fire coaches very often and I heard his name been mention with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            All well them fire coaches very often and I heard his name been mention with them.
            The current coach have Real looking better than last year .. when they won the league. For the type of football Jose coach he is better off going to Germany, Italy or Liverpool ... hehehe Xcuse ... whey yuh deh?
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
            X