Men's Soccer Standout O'Brian White Announces Plan To Stay F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's Soccer Standout O'Brian White Announces Plan To Stay F

Men's Soccer Standout O'Brian White Announces Plan To Stay For Senior Season

STORRS, Conn. (December 14, 2007) - University of Connecticut junior forward O'Brian White (Scarborough, Ontario) officially announced today that he will return to UConn for his senior season with the men's soccer team in the fall of 2008, forgoing any professional opportunities at this time.

"I am excited to return to UConn for my senior season," said White. "I am looking forward to graduating from the University and giving the team everything I have in my senior season. We accomplished so much this year, but fell a step short of reaching the College Cup and I want another chance to reach college soccer's ultimate event with my teammates. Even though we are losing four incredible players from this year’s team (Chukwudi Chijindu, Ryan Cordeiro, Julius James and Louis Jones), I think next year's team has a lot of potential and I look forward to the opportunity to lead our team to the College Cup. Following my senior season, I will then begin to explore my opportunities of playing professional soccer."

Said head coach Ray Reid: "O'Brian was a tremendous part of our success this season and we are fortunate to have him back for another year. He was one of the most dominant forwards in the country as a junior and it is our mutual hope that he will be even stronger as a senior. We have high expectations for him as a player and for our team as a whole next year."

A 2007 MAC Hermann Trophy semifinalist, White wrapped up his junior season as the NCAA leader in scoring with 23 goals and seven assists for 53 points. He was named the BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Year and First Team All-BIG EAST after earning conference Player of the Week five times this season. White had multi-goal efforts on seven occasions, including three hat tricks, becoming the first player in UConn history to tally back-to-back hat tricks, as well as three in a career. He now holds the UConn record for single-season goals, bypassing the mark set by Joe Morrone, Jr., 28 years ago. White is eighth all-time at UConn with 101 career points (40g, 21a).
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

O'Brian White Named Finalist For Men's Soccer MAC Hermann Trophy

ST. LOUIS, Mo. (December 14, 2007) - University of Connecticut junior forward O'Brian White (Scarborough, Ontario) has been named a finalist for the 2007 Missouri Athletic Club (M.A.C.) Hermann Trophy, the most prestigious individual award in intercollegiate soccer. The trophy is presented annually to the top male and female Division I soccer player in the United States. The award is the official National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Player of the Year award for Division I competition.

White is joined by Notre Dame's Joseph Lapira, the 2006 Hermann Trophy winner, and Patrick Nyarko of Virginia Tech.

The announcement will be carried live on ESPNews at 7 p.m. (ET) Friday, Jan. 11 from the Missouri Athletic Club in St. Louis.

White, who just hours ago announced his plans to forgo professional soccer for another year, leads all NCAA Division I men's scorers in points with 53 and goals with 23, including six in postseason play. He also notched seven assists on the season. White was selected as the BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Year and was also a unanimous choice on the all-conference first team after earning conference Player of the Week honors five times this season.

He had seven multi-goal efforts this season, including three hat tricks. White became the first player in UConn history to tally back-to-back hat tricks, as well as three in a career. He now holds the UConn record for goals in a season, bypassing the mark set by Joe Morrone, Jr. in 1979. White is eighth all-time at UConn with 101 career points (40g, 21a).

Two former Huskies earned MAC Player of the Year honors during their playing careers at UConn. Morrone was the 1980 recipient after guiding his team to the NCAA Quarterfinals, while Chris Gbandi took home the trophy in 2000 following UConn's second NCAA national championship.

The winners are determined by voting among NSCAA Division I member coaches and will be announced at a banquet in St. Louis, Mo., hosted by the Missouri Athletic Club this on Jan 11, where they will be presented with the prestigious crystal soccer ball which has come to symbolize the highest individual achievement in intercollegiate soccer.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Who is this yout sass ?

Comment

Former Jamaican youth international. I think he played at the under 20 level, he lives in Canada.

Lighting up the college curcuit bigtime. He plays beside Akeem Priestly.

I don't know if going back to college is the wisest footballing idea cause I can see Toronto a line up fi him, but a hope it work out fi him.

Watch for UCONN next year with both him and Akeem been senior, they had another Jamaican youth last year but him mess up bigtime.

Comment

#7 O'Brian White
          Sophomore/Forward
          Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
          Lester B. Pearson

As a Sophomore (2006): Played and started in all 19 games ... Led the team in scoring with seven goals, six assists and 20 points ... Tallied more game-winning goals than any other player, capturing victories over Rutgers (9/8), Providence (10/3) and Seton Hall (10/7) ... Earned at least one point in nine games, including a career high-tying five vs. Yale (9/27) off two goals and an assist ... Averaged 85 minutes per game off a total of 1,610 minutes of action ... Named to All-BIG EAST and All-Northeast First Teams.
          As a Freshman (2005): Named BIG EAST Rookie of the Year, in addition to being placed on the All-BIG EAST Second Team ... Earned conference Rookie of the Week honors during the week of Oct. 24, after scoring two goals against Pittsburgh (10/19) ... Led the Huskies in scoring with 28 points off shared team highs of 10 goals and eight assists ... Started and played in 20 games, averaging 73 minutes in those games.

Prior to UConn:
          Varsity soccer player at Lester B. Pearson High School in Toronto, Canada ... Named MVP of squad in 2004 and 2005 ... Played with U-15, U-17 and U-20 Jamaican National teams in the World Cup qualifying games ... Also played cricket.

Personal: Majoring in communication science ... Born December 14, 1985.
          White's Career Statistics
          YearGamesStartsShotsGoalsAssistsPoints20052121541082820061919587620Career4040112171448

Comment

From the Forum's Archives

Obrian White-under-17 squad Number Worn: Seven (7)
            Place of Birth: Ocho Rios
            Schools Attended: Ocho Rios High, Parry Town Primary
            Club(s) Represented: Hill Stars (St. Ann Division 1)
            International Debut: Nov. 2000 vs Grenada
            International Goals: 1

Most memorable football moment:
            Winning the Hampshire Davis U16 Trophy with Hill Stars.
            Most embarrassing football moment:
            Best football attribute: Passing the ball.
            Football achievements: Won U16 trophy with Hill Stars in 2000. Won the trophy for leading goal scorer.
            Favourites:
            Favourite Club: Black Stars
            Favourite Coach: Selvin Rose
            Favourite International Player: Zidane
            Favourite Reggae Boy: Theodore Whitmore
            Favourite U17 Reggae Boy: Richard Mcallum
            Favourite U20 Reggae Boy: Sean Frasier
            Favourite Pastime/Hobby: Reading/Playing Cricket
            Favourite Artist/Song: Beenie Man/Chi Chi Man by TOK
            Favourite Female Personality: Barbara Gloudon (Talk Show Host)
            Mentor: Family

This artice has been viewed 10312 times.
            www search for Obrian White
            Fact File: Obrian WhiteALIASSachooDOBSaturday, December 14, 1985POSITIONMidfieldCAPS1
            "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Good youth. I think he is still in the Jamaica Program when they are active. Lives in toronto and moves in the same circle as Richard West and dem youth deh, but a very humble youth.

Comment

Richard West in also in Tornoto?

Comment

I think so. Was last summer dont know if he when back to play npl but he sort of lives here. Nice youth too.

Comment

ok. thanks.

Comment

Confusing, because there is another Richard West in the CPPL right now! Check the player lists at the end of this article:

Portmore's Cousins dreams of joining 'big Boyz'
                      ...Spectacular goal leads club past Tivoli in CPPL round finalHOWARD WALKER, Observer staff reporter walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com
                      Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Tivoli Gardens' Oraine Simpson (left), juggles the ball ahead of Portmore United's Wolry Wolfe during their end-of-round final at the Harbour View Mini-Stadium on Sunday night. Portmore won 1-0. (Photo: Karl McLarty)
                      National Under-20 captain Ricardo Cousins has a plan. It's a simple one. He wants to continue scoring goals and hopes that his exploits on the field will woo the new technical director of Jamaica's football, Brazilian Rene Simoes.
                      This young man's plan, if properly executed, could see him representing the senior national team in the World Cup qualifying campaign, and hopefully the World Cup Finals in South Africa in 2010. That's his dream.
                      But if Simoes saw the spectacular goal Cousins scored against Tivoli Gardens for first round honours in the Cash Plus Premier League End-of-Round final on Sunday, the Brazilian may be tempted to have a look at the dimunitive dynamo.
                      Cousins, operating in a young midfield consisting of Mario Swaby, Eric Vernon and Wolry Wolfe, dominated their more seasoned opponents and it was not surprising when he found the winner in the 70th minute - the only goal of the match.
                      Tivoli Gardens committed a foul just outside the 18-yard box. Cousins delicately placed the ball. Wolfe was there lining up, but it was clear who would take the kick and what a kick it was.
                      In the first half he tried to curve a shot that sailed over the crossbar, but this time he went for raw power and goalkeeper Edsel Scott, known for his agility, had no chance as the scud-like shot flew past him and nestled into the net. It was a tremendous shot worthy of winning any Cup final.
                      Cousins, who led Jamaica to their historic silver medal at the Pan Am Games in July where they lost 1-2 to Ecuador, said he is just focused on impressing the new technical director.
                      Said Cousins: "My thought and motivation is that Rene Simoes will be here so I have to put myself in a position where he can look at me and give me a chance, so I am working on it.
                      "I am in great form now and I will continue to work hard," said Cousins, who has scored six goals in the last six games.
                      Portmore United walked away with the winning prize of $250,000, while Tivoli Gardens pocketed $150,000 for their losing effort.
                      The game, played in front of a decent size crowd and watched by Carlos Hill, the top man at sponsors Cash Plus Limited, in cool conditions on a soggy field, never really lived up to the billing of a Cup final, but it was a hard-fought battle to the end.
                      The lusty Portmore United through Swaby, Wolfe, Vernon, Cousins, Steven Morrissey, and Carlos Barrett took control early, but it was Tivoli who got the first real chance of the game.
                      In the 16th minute, striker Roberto Fletcher got behind Anthony Modeste, but watched his goal-bound lob miracuously saved by international goalkeeper Shawn Sawyers.
                      In the 37th minute, Portmore's Morrissey was sent clear, but he chipped wide of the advancing goalkeeper and the goal with teammate Carlos Barrett begging for the ball.
                      The half ended 0-0, but the teams came out with more intensity in the second period and once again Sawyers had to be at his brilliant best to deny Tivoli from opening the scoring.
                      Oraine Simpson dipped his shoulders and turned inside a defender and with the goal at his mercy, saw his fierce shot with goal written all over it, gobbled up by Sawyers. Minutes later, Portmore found the winner courtesy of a tremendous free kick from Cousins and went on to hold the advantage easily to the end.
                      Teams: Portmore United - Shawn Sawyers, Anthony Modeste, Adrian Mitchell, Tyrone Sawyers, Adrian Reid, Eric Vernon, Ricardo Cousins, Mario Swaby (Fabian Davis 78th), Wolry Wolfe, Steven Morrissey (Kevin Deerr 69th), Carlos Barrett.
                      Subs not used: Sean Giveans, Anthony Bennett, Garth Boota, Duwayne Kerr.
                      Booked: Davis (76th)
                      Tivoli Gardens - Edsel Scott, Oraine Simpson, Dwight Heron, Victor Thompson, Christopher Jackson, Damion Gordon, Denroy Gordon, Craig Stewart, Jermaine Taylor (Jermaine Gray 78th), Roberto Fletcher, Horace Howell.
                      Subs not used: Damion Crooks, Navion Boyd, Kimarley McDonald, Richard West, Jameel Thompson.
                      Booked: Jackson (20th), Stewart (31st), Howell (40th), Fletcher (ejected 89th).
                      Referee: Dave Peterkin
                      Assistant Referees: Stephen Brown, Mark Sullivan.
                      Fourth Official: Lwein Purser
                      Match Commissary: Horace Lewis

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                      X