Walters quietly boosting his superb résumé

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walters quietly boosting his superb résumé

Sometimes in my mind there is a wavering on where to put a post. What is it I am trying to convey and for whom? For me the following is about our football - and is aimed at our the JFF leaders.

------------

Walters quietly boosting his superb résumé
    published: Friday | December 14, 2007

Richard Bryan, Freelance Writer

Jackie Walters ... the doyen of schoolboy football coaches. - File

DELAYED AGAIN until tomorrow, the daCosta Cup finalists last tasted action on December 1, disconcerting to say the least, for some, but not so for Jackie Walters, coach of the Glenmuir team.

In more ways than one, he is the dean of schoolboy coaching, and is largely unfazed by the situation.
    "I guess I suppose there's some anxiety for the players as they want to get it done but I am OK, it's not a problem. We'll be ready," Walters told The Gleaner yesterday.

Attention to details
    This cool and measured acceptance of circumstances beyond his control is symp-tomatic of how he generally approaches his tasks.
    But don't be fooled. At 58, he sits on a chair at games, giving the impression his mind is elsewhere. He might be casual but certainly not careless.

He pays strict attention to detail, which he transfers as confidence to his charges, as he allows them to feel they are are never totally behind, regardless of the state of a contest.

Down 2-0 against Munro at STETHS and on the verge of elimination, most felt the contest was over and that Munro were virtually assured of advancing to the semis. All around the blue and yellow of Munro shone brightly and the crowd was in a frenzy.

Few were paying attention as Walters made two attacking changes and, before anyone realised, the game was 2-2 and ending that way, and as his players and the team's fans went wild. Walters simply smiled wryly as if nothing spectacular had happened.

Three days later, he turned up at Jarrett Park before a crowd consumed in the red of Cornwall. Walters spoiled that party with an exciting 3-2 extra-time win.

Slew of success
    His involvement in schoolboy football dates back to the late 1970s and is littered with successes.
    Since guiding Camperdown to Manning Cup glory in 1978-79, he has won titles in every decade since, a unique achievement among his peers.
    The decade of the '80s was not fruitful but still included a Walker Cup victory in 1988.

At the turn of the 1990s, he effected a successful transition from urban to rural football by deciding to take charge of Clarendon College, a former great which had not tasted success since the heyday of Lennie 'Teacher' Hyde.

A 12-year drought was quickly broken with three daCosta Cup titles, one Olivier Shield and a Ben Francis Cup.

Next stop, Glenmuir, a school which up to then had only known how to land the Ben Francis Cup.

THE SECRET
    In four years, he has won the daCosta Cup thrice, Oliver Shield twice and, of course, no surprise, the Ben Francis title.

How does he do this?
    "It's simple," he says. "It's instilling confidence in your players. Letting them believe that they are not inferior and they can get the job done. That you are never out of a contest."

Based on what has happened this season, the prognosis is that his opponents tomorrow, Garvey Maceo, are the favourites to win but nowhere does that thought strike Walters.
    "They beat us in the early round, but this is a final. We have to step up to the plate. There is nothing more to it than that," he said.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

you means superb recruiting skills.

Comment

still have to coach the players...
      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Nobody can beat garveo maceo overage players just like vere's overage players in the past. Some school teams a tek drugs before matches in the past especially in the west and clarendon.

Comment

Whe yu call drugs? The green stuff? Gatorade?

Comment

Working...
          X