Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can’t fool me, JFF - Observer West column

You can’t fool me, JFF

Istarted having serious stomach cramps on Tuesday, five minutes out of Santa Cruz on my way to Malvern to cover the Jamaica Football Federation’s site inspection of the national academy and training centre under construction.
    We turned around quickly and just made it to a restaurant in the town… luckily I won that race.
    That quick diversion set me up for what was to take place later in Malvern.
    It confirmed what I believe, that minds had already been made up before even seeing the property, and the trip was nothing more than a day trip to the country.
    I am willing to bet any money that a ‘unanimous decision’ has already been taken to move the academy back from St Elizabeth to Portmore. In my mind, this move has nothing to do with the national interest.
    Like Tuesday’s trip, the discussions on the academy at the December 22 meeting will be a waste of time, but will be carried out nevertheless to show that there were some discussions on the matter.
    I do agree with the JFF’s Technical Committee Chairman Howard McIntosh that there are fundamental questions that must be asked about the academy. These questions, however, are applicable to any site that the JFF chooses.
    I don’t buy the JFF president’s view of what the academy should be. He envisions a facility in or near a major population centre where outsiders will have access on any given day.
    This, he contends, is what pertains in Trinidad. My question is, why are we using examples from a country like Trinidad whose football culture is not superior to ours? Why don’t we look to countries with established football cultures to see how they do things and use them to set our parameters? Countries like Holland, France, Germany, Brazil and England are good examples.
    I have had the opportunity to see the academies of two of England's oldest clubs, Arsenal and Tottenham Hot Spurs, two clubs based in the greater North London area, and none of their academies were based in the more populous areas. Rather, they were in secluded areas, far from the maddening crowd.
    My biggest disappointment on Tuesday was the admission by the St Elizabeth FA Courtney Brown that it was the first time he had been on the property to get a first-hand view of what was there.
    This is the same Courtney Brown who less than two months ago heaped scorn on the facilities in Malvern calling it a waste of FIFA’s money.
    He told me he had “driven past it” but had never gone there.
    So which story is true, the one in October or the one now?
    Football delegates in St Elizabeth must demand an honest answer from their president, whom they elected to represent them at the higher levels.
    One would have thought Brown would be at the front of the line campaigning for the academy to be located in his parish where no doubt they would gain tremendous benefits.
    Sadly, however, this is the kind of representation we have received from the FA presidents in the previous Burrell-led JFF administrations, and it seems to be the type we’re going to have to get used to again.

YEAH, RIGHT. Carvel Stewart, the JFF
    •s Director of the academy project (left) shows some of the plans for the academy being built at Malvern to some members of the touring party on Tuesday. In the background at left is Courtney Brown president of the St Elizabeth Football Association. /Photo: Paul Reid
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

There goes your ticket! And don't even think about them donuts!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Sickman: Why don’t we look to countries with established football cultures to see how they do things and use them to set our parameters? Countries like Holland, France, Germany, Brazil and England are good examples.
      Mek sense, and we should look to countries that have a superior football culture than ours for academy examples.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Sicko I believe the reference to T&T had to do with the center of excellence...which, was built by FIFA. From all indications, its a one of a kind in CONCACAF, first class amenities.
        President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Maybe it is but I cant see this as an example we need to follow- I am envisioning a great complex built in Portmore with a massive auditorium which given Burrell's scope and explanation could be used for weddings and symposiums (symposia?)

I can see a youth team being in camp and preparing for a serious tournament and having to contend with a wedding party going late into the night for example or a Jehovah Witness Convention taking place when they want the place to themslevs.
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
            Maybe it is but I cant see this as an example we need to follow- I am envisioning a great complex built in Portmore with a massive auditorium which given Burrell's scope and explanation could be used for weddings and symposiums (symposia?)

I can see a youth team being in camp and preparing for a serious tournament and having to contend with a wedding party going late into the night for example or a Jehovah Witness Convention taking place when they want the place to themslevs.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

That's my thinking too! The Centre of Excellence in T&T is probably a very fine place but it might be more akin to the Jacob Javits Centre than to my idea of a football academy. So again, maybe we need to define what it is we want.

I took a look at the website for the CoE and I can't find one dorm up to now. They have a hotel and conference rooms galore.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

My sentiments exactly! Seems ludicrous if that's what we want our academy to be!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                  You can’t fool me, JFF

Istarted having serious stomach cramps on Tuesday, five minutes out of Santa Cruz on my way to Malvern to cover the Jamaica Football Federation’s site inspection of the national academy and training centre under construction.
                  We turned around quickly and just made it to a restaurant in the town… luckily I won that race.
                  That quick diversion set me up for what was to take place later in Malvern.
                  It confirmed what I believe, that minds had already been made up before even seeing the property, and the trip was nothing more than a day trip to the country.
                  I had to come back to this - Imagine stomach cramps confirmed that minds were already made up!

Great logical thinking or 'unmitigated crap(ing)?!

I am willing to bet any money that a ‘unanimous decision’ has already been taken to move the academy back from St Elizabeth to Portmore. In my mind, this move has nothing to do with the national interest.

Like Tuesday’s trip, the discussions on the academy at the December 22 meeting will be a waste of time, but will be carried out nevertheless to show that there were some discussions on the matter.
                  So 'betting' then the emphatic "like Tuesday's trip...".

I do agree with the JFF’s Technical Committee Chairman Howard McIntosh that there are fundamental questions that must be asked about the academy. These questions, however, are applicable to any site that the JFF chooses.
                  We are all wondering what are the "fundamental questions" you have agreed with Howard McIntosh on?

I don’t buy the JFF president’s view of what the academy should be. He envisions a facility in or near a major population centre where outsiders will have access on any given day.

This, he contends, is what pertains in Trinidad. My question is, why are we using examples from a country like Trinidad whose football culture is not superior to ours? Why don’t we look to countries with established football cultures to see how they do things and use them to set our parameters? Countries like Holland, France, Germany, Brazil and England are good examples.

I have had the opportunity to see the academies of two of England's oldest clubs, Arsenal and Tottenham Hot Spurs, two clubs based in the greater North London area, and none of their academies were based in the more populous areas. Rather, they were in secluded areas, far from the maddening crowd.
                  OK!
                  Although unlike you I have not an idea where those two academies are located and whether or not in Jamaica parlance 'dem deh a bush' or in areas less populated that 'the greater London area' but in areas that are vastly more populated than Portmore with which you are fixated.

My biggest disappointment on Tuesday was the admission by the St Elizabeth FA Courtney Brown that it was the first time he had been on the property to get a first-hand view of what was there.

This is the same Courtney Brown who less than two months ago heaped scorn on the facilities in Malvern calling it a waste of FIFA’s money.
                  He told me he had “driven past it” but had never gone there.
                  So which story is true, the one in October or the one now?
                  ...but, the stories are not one and the same? So why the which is true...when you know for a fact that he was at and on the premises with you?

Football delegates in St Elizabeth must demand an honest answer from their president, whom they elected to represent them at the higher levels.
                  One would have thought Brown would be at the front of the line campaigning for the academy to be located in his parish where no doubt they would gain tremendous benefits.

Sadly, however, this is the kind of representation we have received from the FA presidents in the previous Burrell-led JFF administrations, and it seems to be the type we’re going to have to get used to again.

Damn biases can make for the doing of strange things!
                  Damn?
                  Last edited by Karl; December 14, 2007, 10:10 AM.
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl - yuh have a nerve talking about "biases can make for the doing of strange things"!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      Karl - yuh have a nerve talking about "biases can make for the doing of strange things"!
                      Mosiah: You know and the entire board knows...my bias is moving the academy!

You also know why - It makes sense!

Comment

I am searching all the post made by King Klown Karl and all now I cant see a single point..maybe it is my biases...
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

Sick OH Sick OH

King Klown Karl .....This is just plain insolence....please go sit in the corner until Your Dad come home.
                          "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

What you see is what you get- this man has recklessly eroded whatever credibility he ever had over the past few months with a series of idiotic rambling that would fit perfectly in a mad house.
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

I have a thing for coconut Macaroons, not donuts- ha ha ha
                              Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                              X