ESPN 'eyes Premier League rights'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN 'eyes Premier League rights'

Premiership games have massive interest worldwide.
    US sports cable network ESPN is "absolutely interested" in buying the UK rights to broadcast Premier League football, its president has said.
    The comments by George Bodenheimer to the Financial Times signal efforts by the network to boost its European audience, analysts say.

BSkyB and Setanta hold the UK rights to show live Premier League games until the end of the 2009/10 season.

The duo paid a record £1.7bn for the three-season contract.

BSkyB is paying about £4.8m per game and Setanta £2.8m under the deal.

The league also agreed a new £625m deal for overseas television rights, swelling the coffers of Premier League clubs.

'Top product'

Mr Bodenheimer described the league as "fabulous property" for a broadcaster to have.

"We're going to work on getting as local as we can. We want to deliver product that is relevant in each country," he told the FT.

"It's a country-by-country approach. We want to be investors wherever the top sports product is."

ESPN currently reaches about 10 million homes in Europe, but winning rights to the Premier League would encourage a much bigger take up, observers say.

It would be likely to face tough competition - with both BSkyB and Setanta seeing football as a key asset in winning and retaining subscribers.

Disney-owned ESPN has been on a spending spree, recently boosting its online sports presence by buying cricket website Cricinfo and rugby site Scrum.com.

In the US it has long-term deals to broadcast the country's three key sports - American football, baseball and basketball.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I hope them get the rights from all FSC and mek Sportsmax Fk Off!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lionpaw View Post
      I hope them get the rights from all FSC and mek Sportsmax Fk Off!!
      Why? I hope they DON'T get it. I like a channel DEDICATED to football.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
        Why? I hope they DON'T get it. I like a channel DEDICATED to football.
        ESPN-International is dedicated to football.

Comment

This works well for you who de a yard but bad us abroad, ESPN Intl is not on many cable networks here and even if they put some games on regular ESPN we still have fi go deal wid the yankee commentators and all the graphics them throw up pon the screen and block you view.

I hope is stays on FSC.

Comment

At this point I get it on FSC .... personally I wish FSC could bid for the Champions League too. These jokers don't understand the importance of football. Same way after Brazil won the 02 WC, I had to switch to Univision to see the trophy presentation. What was ESPN showing? 4 clowns that was to discuss some meaningless sport.

FSC all the way.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

yeah because ESPNInt'l carries La Liga.....I want it all!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                yeah because ESPNInt'l carries La Liga.....I want it all!
                Get GOLTV!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  At this point I get it on FSC .... personally I wish FSC could bid for the Champions League too. These jokers don't understand the importance of football. Same way after Brazil won the 02 WC, I had to switch to Univision to see the trophy presentation. What was ESPN showing? 4 clowns that was to discuss some meaningless sport.

FSC all the way.
                  Mi don, ESPN Int'l dont use American Commentators, yuh mad? Di kinda football wha play pon ESPN-I too big fi the yanks fi understand. I listen to the great Tommy Smith who does commentary on La Liga(best league in the world without a doubt) games. I'm not that much of an EPL fan but I would love to get to see Bibi in action and Claude Davis giving away goals.

Comment

I hope it don't happen. Too much commercials.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yeah, they are bound to screw it up!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                      X