X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challengers ready to pounce

Challengers ready to pounce

(FIFA.com) Friday 7 December 2007

With the possible exception of Real Madrid, who face a taxing trip to the Basque country and Athletic Bilbao's 'Cathedral of football', the leaders in Europe's big five leagues will be expected to consolidate their positions in a weekend devoid of any notable top-of-the-table clashes.

Arsenal stumbled during the week away to Newcastle United and return to the north east knowing they have something of a reputation for wilting at northern venues, but they will nevertheless be expected to return from struggling Middlesbrough with maximum points.

However, should the Gunners, Real, Inter Milan, Lyon or Bayern Munich slip up, there are no shortage of eager challengers well placed to take full advantage as the always-crucial festive period looms large on the horizon.

Premier League: Chasing pack yearn upset
    Arsenal dropped points in that 1-1 draw away to Newcastle, but the Riverside stadium is a happy hunting ground for the Gunners and with Emmanuel Adebayor thriving, they will expect nothing less than three points from their trip to Middlesbrough.

Manchester United and Chelsea, four and six points off the pace respectively, will be waiting to capitalise on any stumble. The Red Devils welcome basement side Derby County to Old Trafford on Sunday, while the Blues will be out to keep their successful run going when they host struggling Sunderland.

Big game: Middlesbrough-Arsenal, Sunday 9 December, 14:30 CET

The question: Having won their last three games, scoring nine goals without reply, can fourth-placed Liverpool extend their undefeated start to the season at Reading?

The quote: "I'm really pleased at the moment because we are creating chances, scoring goals, not conceding and we're winning games," Rafa Benitez, Liverpool manager, feeling confident ahead of the trip to Reading.

La Liga: Basque examination for Real
    Four points clear at the top, Real Madrid face a test this weekend as their three closest rivals host teams they are expected to overcome. Los Meregues travel to Athletic Bilbao, who have lost just once at home this season and are high on confidence following a 3-0 win at Valencia.

Barcelona take on struggling Deportivo at Camp Nou, with Ronaldinho pushing for a recall and Samuel Eto'o back at Frank Rijkaard's disposal. Third-placed Villarreal, level on points with Barca and four shy of Real, entertain second-bottom Real Betis, while Atletico Madrid look to inflict defeat on mid-table Getafe.

The big game: Athletic Bilbao-Real Madrid, Saturday 8 December, 22:00
    CET

The question: Can Sevilla, winless in over a month, revive their hopes of a European place at home to Murcia?

The quote: "I've been told here in Spain that there are three important arenas: the Bernabeu, the Camp Nou, and San Mames. The players have told me that the fans are very enthusiastic and that it's a difficult place. But I'm looking forward to it. Let's enjoy the Cathedral," Real Madrid defender Pepe looks forward to the trip to Bilbao.

Serie A: Inter expect as rivals face tests
    Alvaro Recoba started ten successive seasons as an Inter Milan player. Now, after beginning his first campaign in Europe away from the San Siro, Torino's on-loan Uruguayan is hoping to put one over on his owners upon his return to the stadium.

Roma, three points back in second, will be hoping the 31-year-old can help cause an upset. With Rodrigo Taddei in a rich vein of form, Luciano Spalletti's side will visit Livorno, who are unbeaten since a trip to Parma in late-October. For their part, Juventus can ill-afford to slip up at home to sixth-placed Atalanta, who are coming off a Ferreira Pinto-inspired 5-1 reverse of Napoli.

The big game: Juventus-Atalanta, Sunday 8 December, 15:00 CET

The question: Fourth-placed Udinese may have home advantage and rest three slots above their weekend adversaries, but with Antonio Cassano and Claudio Bellucci at the top of their game, will they have enough to deny Sampdoria a return from the Sunday evening game?

The quote: "In the ten years I was at Inter I was never rude and I think that the fans will greet me. I'm hoping to score and then we will see if I celebrate or not," Torino's Alvaro Recoba ponders his options ahead of returning to face his employers.

Bundesliga: Hannover host Werder
    With their lead at the top having been eroded to a solitary point and a rift between Willy Sagnol and Ottmar Hitzfeld hitting the headlines, Bayern Munich will be boosted by the return of Basitian Schweinsteiger for the visit of struggling MSV Duisburg. The most intriguing match of the weekend, however, sees Hannover 96, in seventh, playing hosts to second-placed Werder Bremen on Saturday afternoon, with Bayern's nearest challengers aiming to capitalise on the feelgood factor that has followed successive wins over Real Madrid and Hamburg.

Hannover, however, harbour big ambitions and have spent accordingly, only this week bolstering their bid for a UEFA Cup place by agreeing a deal to sign Bayern's French defender Valerien Ismael in the new year.

Elsewhere, third-placed Hamburger SV will be hopeful of avoiding a slip-up against Energie Cottbus, Schalke travel to Eintracht Frankfurt, while Bayer Leverkusen, the Bundesliga's in-form side, will aim to continue their fine recent momentum against Hansa Rostock.

The question: Will fourth-placed Bayer Leverkusen be able to clinch a fifth consecutive Bundesliga win to heap even more pressure on the top three?

The big game: Hannover 96-Werder Bremen, Saturday 8 December, 15:30
    The quote: "We have nothing to lose and everything to win. We are full of respect but we're not scared. I have beaten Munich quite often as a player," MSV Duisburg coach Rudi Bommer in bullish form ahead of the trip to the Allianz Arena.

Ligue 1: Southern rivals lock horns
    Lyon had hoped to have the weekend off, but with the French authorities having rejected their plea for a postponement, the reigning champions and league leaders will hope to consolidate their five-point cushion at the top of Ligue 1 by emerging unscathed from the trip to mid-table Caen. Further south, meanwhile, something will have to give when in-form rivals Marseille and Monaco - both unbeaten in four matches - go head-to-head at the Velodrome.

Djibril Cisse is on the verge of yet another comeback and could return to the home side's line-up alongside eight-goal Mamadou Niang, but it is likely that key playmaker Samir Nasri will not be risked due to fears that he could aggravate a niggling ankle injury ahead of the impending do-or-die UEFA Champions League showdown with Liverpool.

The question: Which of the in-form strikers on show at the Velodrome can shoot their side to victory: Frederic Piquionne, Jan Koller, Mamadou Niang or comeback kid Djibril Cisse?

The big game: Marseille-Monaco, Saturday 8 December, 15:00

The quote: "We only wanted to be on a level playing field with Rangers. We wanted a little gift from the French league in the way the Scottish league have helped Rangers - but they said no," Lyon's Alain Perrin is not a happy coach after his team's request for a postponement was turned down.

Elsewhere
    Galatasaray have made a fine start to the 2007/08 Turkcell Super League. However, the leaders' unbeaten start to the season will be given its fiercest examination on Sunday when Karl-Heinz Feldkamp takes his charges to third-placed Fenerbahce. Victory would lift Zico's defending champions to within one point of their arch-rivals, while a draw would suit Sivasspor, who sit one point off the pace ahead of the visit of Denizlispor.

It will not be the only big derby played on the old continent. Zurich will command the attention of the watching world on 17 December when it hosts the 17th FIFA World Player Gala, but first it will stage one of Europe's oldest derbies. Second-placed FC Zurich need the points to stay in touch with Basel, whom they trail by six points. Grasshoppers, meanwhile, may be out of the title picture but they have the matter of pride and a 100th victory in the 110-year-old Stadtderby to play for.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X