X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach: Aussies will qualify for World Cup

Soccer: Aussies will qualify for World Cup claims new coach

8:43AM Friday December 07, 2007

SYDNEY - Moments after being unveiled as the new Socceroos coach, Dutchman Pim Verbeek pronounced that Australia would qualify for the 2010 soccer World Cup.
    Australia have been drawn in a "group of death" alongside China, Iraq and Qatar for their first World Cup qualifying campaign through Asia, in what is been touted the most difficult passage since losing to powerhouse Argentina in the last stage of 1994.
    But Verbeek, who guided South Korea to the semifinals of this year's Asian Cup, was positive Australia would be in South Africa in 2010.
    "I promise that we will do everything to succeed and I am 100 per cent convinced that we will succeed and that we will go to the World Cup and we will have a good (tournament) over there also," Verbeek said yesterday via video hook-up from Singapore, where he had met with Football Federation Australia officials.
    "It's a major challenge, it's a big challenge, and I am really looking forward to coming to Australia and to learn about the A-League, the Australian football players over there."

Verbeek will base himself in Australia and will have two months to familiarise himself with the A-League players before the World Cup qualifiers begin on February 6 against Qatar.
    The man he replaced, caretaker coach Graham Arnold, will return to assistant while fellow Dutchman Rob Baan, who has also filled in a caretaker capacity, will remain heavily involved with the national side.
    A former assistant to Dick Advocaat, who turned down the Socceroos post at the last minute last month, Verbeek also worked under previous Socceroos coach Guus Hiddink in 2002.
    The 51-year-old's most noteworthy achievement in 25 years of coaching was guiding South Korea to the Asian Cup semifinals this year.
    He has also coached Sparta Rotterdam, Feyenoord Rotterdam and Fortuna Sittard in the Dutch league.
    While his pedigree is not as impressive as Frenchman Phillippe Troussier, who was the other front-runner for the job, FFA chairman Frank Lowy said it was a "major, major plus", that Verbeek would base himself in Australia.
    Lowy was also encouraged by Verbeek's extensive knowledge of Asia, which "is our home turf", and said 10 to 15 candidates had been considered but Verbeek stood out because he was the "most compatible" with the Australian side.
    "I think it's an understatement that I'm relieved," added Lowy, referring to the marathon process involved in finding a long-term replacement to Hiddink.
    The appointment continues Lowy's love affair with the Dutch style of football, having previously appointed Hiddink and Baan, and also aiming for Advocaat.
    But the multi-millionaire businessman hoped Verbeek would not be too stringent on embedding the attacking, flowing "Dutch philosophy" into the Australian psyche, saying it was time the Socceroos invented a style they could call their own.
    - AAP
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

its about time Australia has to "work" to get to the WC finals. They had a free pass that virtually got them out of the Oceania Group they were in for so long.

I'm happy that they were forced into joining the Asia Confederate this cycle where they will play Japan, South Korea, Iran etc.

Comment

Australia is a good side anyway. I think they will qualify.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Warlord View Post
        its about time Australia has to "work" to get to the WC finals. They had a free pass that virtually got them out of the Oceania Group they were in for so long.

I'm happy that they were forced into joining the Asia Confederate this cycle where they will play Japan, South Korea, Iran etc.
        Actually Warlord Australlia was not forced to join the Asian confederate they joined voluntarily. After their failure to qualify for the 2002 WC they lobbied FIFA to allow them to join another fed because the competition in Oceania was not good enough to prepare them to qualify for the WC. They made the conscious decision to find a more competitive situation.

I am in the minority here and had extensive conversations with Lazie on the topic but I have always believed that if FIFA designates Oceania a region then they should get at least 1 automatic slot. I had never agreed with the idea that the winner of a region should have to play a play-off spot with another confed. Afterall this is the WC and we should have all regions represented. Even if that region is as weak as Oceania. - T.K.
        No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

yeah but how many wc have they been to in recent years? they are tired of winning oceania and then having to play off aginst a south american powerhouse......

what will now happen to oceania? will vanuatu or solomon isles or the kiwis be making regular trips to the big dance?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

i agree with that tk.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
            X