Freddy Adu short no r@#@@##........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freddy Adu short no r@#@@##........

U.S. Team on Adu’s Mind, Even in Portugal function getSharePasskey() { return 'ex=1354510800&en=52a8a31891f4b278&ei=5124';}funct ion getShareURL() { return encodeURIComponent('http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/04/sports/soccer/04soccer.html');}function getShareHeadline() { return encodeURIComponent('U.S. Team on Adu’s Mind, Even in Portugal');}function getShareDescription() { return encodeURIComponent('The education of the American soccer player, Freddy Adu, continues in Portugal, where he is finding that everyone is a good player and that no one’s place is guaranteed.');}function getShareKeywords() { return encodeURIComponent('Soccer,Athletics and Sports,Portugal,Benfica,Freddy Adu');}function getShareSection() { return encodeURIComponent('sports');}function getShareSectionDisplay() { return encodeURIComponent('Extra Time');}function getShareSubSection() { return encodeURIComponent('soccer');}function getShareByline() { return encodeURIComponent('By JACK BELL');}function getSharePubdate() { return encodeURIComponent('December 4, 2007');}
    writePost();

By JACK BELL
    Published: December 4, 2007
    The education of an American soccer player, Freddy Adu, continues in Portugal.
    Skip to next paragraph Paulo Duarte/Associated Press
    Freddy Adu, left, says he is happy playing, even sporadically, for Benfica in Portugal.

News and features from around the world of soccer and the Web.
    Go to the Goal Blog »

More on Soccer

Enlarge This Image
    Red Bull New York
    The design for Red Bull Park, the Red Bulls’ new stadium in Harrison, N.J., was released last week. It is to be ready in 2009.

“The first thing about being in Europe is that you would not survive at a place like this unless you pay attention to every single detail and work hard every day,” Adu said last week in a telephone interview from Lisbon, where he plays for Benfica. “It is a very competitive environment, and everyone is a good player. No one’s place is guaranteed. You have to come to work every day, and that’s what makes you a better player — constant competition.”
    Adu left the relative comfort and security of Real Salt Lake and Major League Soccer in August on a $2 million transfer to Benfica, perhaps the most successful club in Portugal. But he has played sporadically. He became the youngest American to play in the European Champions League on Oct. 24, against visiting Glasgow Celtic. Benfica has been eliminated from the Champions League and is in second place in the Portuguese league.
    “It doesn’t matter whether I play 2, 5, 30 or 90 minutes, I’m still going to go out there with the same mentality,” Adu said. “Hopefully I’ll get in the starting 11 sooner rather than later. But right now, I’m happy with my development.”
    Adu, who turned 18 in June, said his adjustment to a new country had not been without pitfalls. “At first, I was not sure about it,” he said. “But I realized that I have to grow up sometime. I made the jump to Europe, something I wanted to do, and now I couldn’t be happier.
    “I’ve had to grow up out of necessity. I live here by myself. In America, it was like I was in a bubble — everything was there for me. Now it’s just about being a man.”
    Adu was with the United States national team recently, starting in a 1-0 victory against South Africa on Nov. 17 in Johannesburg. He said he hoped to remain an integral part of Coach Bob Bradley’s plans for next year’s World Cup qualifying matches and, ultimately, take another trip to South Africa for the 2010 tournament.
    “I would be disappointed if I’m not on that team,” he said. “I really, really want to achieve that goal and will do whatever it takes. I’m going to work hard and do whatever Bob asks me to do.”
    M.L.S.
    The Red Bulls released a new design last week for their long-delayed new stadium, which will be built in Harrison, N.J.
    Red Bull Park, which is expected to be completed in 2009 at a cost of about $200 million, will have a seating capacity of 25,189 for soccer. The seats in the lower bowl will be only 21 feet from the sideline, and a translucent polycarbonate and aluminum roof will cover all the seats while leaving the grass playing surface exposed to the elements.
    The stadium was supposed to be built in partnership with the Anschutz Entertainment Group, which sold the club to Austrian-based Red Bull before the 2006 season. But disagreements over the cost and amenities (AEG wanted a permanent stage in one end zone) led Red Bull to purchase AEG’s 50 percent stake last month.
    Construction is expected to begin before the end of the year, the Red Bulls said.
    ¶The Red Bulls will open the 2008 season March 29 against the new San Jose team. They will then play at home April 5 against the Columbus Crew.
    ¶Add the Pan-Pacific Championship to a growing number of tournaments M.L.S. teams are involved in before, during and after the seven-month regular season. The new event, to be played Feb. 20 and 23 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, will feature teams from M.L.S. (Houston Dynamo and Los Angeles Galaxy), Japan (Gamba Osaka) and Australia (champion of the A-League). The Galaxy will play Gamba Osaka in the opener of a doubleheader, followed by a game between Houston and the Australian club. Another doubleheader three days later will feature a third-place and championship match.
    M.I.S.L.
    Pelé, the honorary captain, and more than 13,000 fans attended the home debut of the New Jersey Ironmen of the Major Indoor Soccer League on Saturday night at the new Prudential Center in Newark. Pelé, who played for the Cosmos 30 years ago, usually commands a hefty appearance fee and will probably not be back; it is impossible to know how many fans will return.
    “It was a great crowd, we hope they all come back, but you never know,” Ironmen goalkeeper Tony Meola said after the game. “But it was great having Pelé here. The guys were like kids in the locker room before the game — getting autographs, having Pelé sign jerseys. That’s why the guys were late for pregame introductions.”
    The Ironmen are operated by Jeff Vanderbeek, who is also the chairman and managing partner of the Prudential Center’s other tenant, the Devils. Mayor Cory A. Booker of Newark; M.I.S.L. Commissioner Steve Ryan; and Sunil Gulati, the president of U.S. Soccer, also attended.
    Notes
    ¶Officials at UEFA, soccer’s European governing body, confirmed a report in the German magazine Der Spiegel that they were investigating whether 15 matches might have been fixed as part of a betting scheme. William Gaillard, UEFA’s director of communications, said that the matches under suspicion were mostly minor ones played in Eastern Europe.
    ¶In Peru, Efrain Viafara, a midfielder for Sport Ancash, created an uproar when he used his buttocks to trap the ball. His bit of unorthodox skill was interpreted as a mocking act by Universitario players, who chased Viafara. Fans began to fight in the stands, then poured onto the field before the referee abandoned the game.

das how him get away wid the under 15 crap!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

You should see when he was 18!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

How old are you Mosiah?

Word is you hid your age-paper too when you were doing the common entrance....

Leave Freddy the PHENOM alone!!!!
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

a fight start fi dis... soccer fans can gwaan ignorant an awful bwoy...

Peru, Efrain Viafara, a midfielder for Sport Ancash, created an uproar when he used his buttocks to trap the ball. His bit of unorthodox skill was interpreted as a mocking act by Universitario players, who chased Viafara. Fans began to fight in the stands, then poured onto the field before the referee abandoned the game.
          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
            a fight start fi dis... soccer fans can gwaan ignorant an awful bwoy...

Peru, Efrain Viafara, a midfielder for Sport Ancash, created an uproar when he used his buttocks to trap the ball. His bit of unorthodox skill was interpreted as a mocking act by Universitario players, who chased Viafara. Fans began to fight in the stands, then poured onto the field before the referee abandoned the game.
            That type of control is bragging. The first person I saw do it was Feddermop vs Seba. I've tried it a few times, if a player misjudge the bounce of the ball, he will surely feel it as he is going to be cramped after the ball hit the balls.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

thats why only skilled players should attempt it... why did you try...
              'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                thats why only skilled players should attempt it... why did you try...
                Hey ... as a teen I thought I was that skilled. The 2nd time I got cramped, I realized that such a play wasn't necessary, so I kept it simple.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yes, because they didn't want 9 year olds to take it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yuh still have a high pitched voice?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                      That type of control is bragging. The first person I saw do it was Feddermop vs Seba. I've tried it a few times, if a player misjudge the bounce of the ball, he will surely feel it as he is going to be cramped after the ball hit the balls.
                      My first time seeing was Mark Coburn from Liganeau during training for the NPL, I tried and was successfull many times but yes it can be painfull if the excecution is poor.

Comment

so that's why. spoke to Lazie last week and I was wondering why his wife kept picking up the phone!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                        X