X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason Roberts gives foundation to new view of football

Jason Roberts gives foundation to new view of football
    By PETER FERGUSON
    Jason Roberts had not realised quite how far the public perception of Premier League footballers had fallen until he rolled up at a 10th birthday party for a friendly question-and-answer session.

"The first question," he says with a smile, "was: 'Have you got a criminal record?', and the second was: 'How much money do you get?' My answer to the second one obviously wasn't good enough, because then he said: 'Seriously, how much money do you get?'"

{R}

Perhaps that anecdote provides a snapshot of the way we have come to view our Saturday afternoon heroes, but the persistent kid picked the wrong target when he zeroed in on the 29-year-old Blackburn striker. For Jason Roberts is in grave danger of giving footballers a good name.
    Roberts simply does not fit the stereotype � any stereotype. He is tough centre forward who expects to give and take the knocks, a style that has seen him battle from non-league obscurity at Hayes to the European stage with Rovers.

Yet if you live in a certain part of Cheshire, you might spot him out walking wife Carly's toy poodles, as did his team-mate Robbie Savage one day: "He just loved it. I bet Sav's got a big dog called Tyson."
    Roberts grew up in Stonebridge � "rough, just down the road from Wembley" � and regrets not studying harder. Yet he is articulate and keeps a bust of Mao Tse Tung, reminder of his love of modern history.
    He and Carly, who expects their first child in February, share a dream home and, as a £3million signing for Rovers from Wigan, he does earn a salary that reflects his value to the club.

Yet far from embracing the bling and booze luxury lifestyle of popular image, he spends most of his spare time working on the charity that he launched himself.
    The Jason Roberts Foundation aims to use football to help youngsters in the Caribbean � specifically Grenada, for whom he has won around 25 international caps � as well as the UK.

He said: "I've been very lucky. I grew up with a big, strong, loving family around me � my grandma still lights a candle for me every Sunday, and tells me � and I had three uncles who all played football.
    "Cyrille Regis played for England, Dave Regis played for Notts County in the top flight and my uncle Otis Roberts played in Belgium and Hong Kong, including a famous friendly with England.
    "I had to have the desire and ambition for football, of course, but they all gave me that little push.

"I always thought that if I played for Grenada and got to the top, I could make a difference over and above playing for the country. One of the things that inspired me was Football in the Community.
    "As a player you do presentations and stuff, but I was seeing the things they were doing that were changing people's lives, really enthusing young people and giving them an opportunity.

"The scheme Kickz went into a bad neighbourhood with the balls, goals and a couple of coaches and they found that crime went down in that area because the kids had something to focus on.
    "I wanted to give something back. In Grenada there is no structure for people with ability in sports. I understand that's not a priority, but it's something we can help with. Sport can change people's lives.
    "We did a free soccer school in Stonebridge for kids who get suspended and expelled. We found they would open up a lot more to us than to their teachers, because we came from the same environment.
    "Mentor is a big word, but it was good to be able to talk to them, give them a different take on things."

A family member, Olympic athlete John Regis' nephew Adam, died earlier this year after being stabbed in east London at 15 years old. Roberts said: "I didn't know Adam well, but it was still a big shock.
    "What's happening in London and England, the emergence of gangs, comes into what we're doing. Some kids are aspiring to the wrong things. Sport shows them another, better way to earn respect."

Now approaching 30 � "a mid-life crisis for a footballer," he jokes � Roberts remains ambitious to help establish Blackburn among England's elite as well as to fire Grenada into their first World Cup finals.
    "If Jamaica and Trinidad can do it, there's no reason why we can't. We can certainly give them a run for their money. We were knocked out by the United States last time; I scored but we lost 3-2 in Grenada."

He added: "Mark Hughes at Blackburn is the ultimate professional. He leaves nothing to chance, and most of the time you see that on the pitch. We had a blip on Wednesday against Villa, but we'll react in the right way.
    "It's a very talented squad. Outside the top four, there's another league, and we want to be top of that."

Roberts, meanwhile, hosts a gala dinner on Tuesday in Manchester to boost Foundation funds, where football guests will include Rio Ferdinand, the centre half he considers his toughest opponent.
    He said: "Footballers have a negative image, but most want to give something back. They just don't talk about it. We'll have an auction and some fun. I hope we'll raise awareness as well as money."
    Last edited by Karl; December 3, 2007, 01:52 PM.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Nice post, sah!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X