• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two note-worthy results from the NPL

St Georges hammer Boys' Town
    published: Monday | December 3, 2007

Gareth Davis Sr., Freelance Writer

A second-half brace from Denroy Dennis gave home team St. Georges Sports Club of Portland a 3-0 victory over Boys' Town in the Cash Plus Premier League match at Lynch Park yesterday.

Earlier, Omar Henderson, who was substituted late in the second half due to injury, had given St. Georges the lead in the 14th minute.

St. Georges enjoyed the better run of play during the first half and created numerous chances. Had captain Damion 'Boy Boy' Harwood converted the two scoring opportunities which came his way, the scoreline could have been far different.

The second half saw St. Georges picking up their game and they scored again when Dennis, after receiving a through pass, fired from close range and beat the goalkeeper as St. Georges went up 2-0 in the 49th minute.

The second goal virtually took the sting out of the Red Brigades and the third goal came in the 84th minute when a corner kick from off the left flank found the un-marked Dennis, who nodded home for a 3-0 victory.
    St. Georges coach, Donovan Duckie, praised his team.

"We lifted our game today which ensured us victory. We still have our eyes set on qualifying for the end-of-round final it is a tall order. But should the two top teams suffer any setbacks, our slim chance could expand."

Price, noting his team had lost all hope of making the end-of-round final, said: "We now have to focus on the bigger picture ahead, which is to win the Premier League."

St Georges - 3
    Omar Henderson 14th Denroy Dennis 49th, 84th

Boys' Town - 0

------------and, in the clash between current JFF Interim Coach Whitmore's Seba and former JFF Coach Downswell's Reno

Reno ambush Seba in Montego Bay
    published: Monday | December 3, 2007

Adrian Frater, News Editor

Reno's Ricardo Scott (left) dribbles around Seba United's Anthowe Dawkins during yesterday's NPL game between the two teams at Jarrett Park. Reno won the game 2-1. - Adrian Frater photo

Western Bureau:
    Reno FC threw the proverbial monkey wrench into Seba United's bid for a place in the upcoming end-of-round final in the Cash Plus Permier League when they surprised the Montego Bay team 2-1 in their western derby at Jarrett Park, in Montego Bay, yesterday.

In a game, which was lacking in real excitement, the Reno team scored courtesy of a goal in each half by Nicholi Findlayson, who turned in a pretty decent performance. Seba United's lone goal came courtesy of a late penalty from the boot of veteran Norman Foster.

"We saw Seba United's last game and we went home and developed a plan to nullify their strength that worked well, as we were able to keep the ball away from the three players they had in attack," said Reno's coach Aaron Lawrence. "What went well for us today was that the team played to instructions."

Reno took the lead in the 24th minute as Findlayson wrong-footed defender Scion McNeish and then fired in off the body of another defender, making the score 1-0 and silencing the home crowd.

In second-half play, Reno continued to look the more purposeful of the two teams and it paid off for them in the 51st minute. A free-kick taken from 25 yards was relayed to the alert Findlayson and his shot flew past goalkeeper Gavine Barrett, making the score 2-0.

In the latter stages of the game, Seba United's coach, Theodore Whitmore, introduced himself into the game in a bid to give the team more energy. However, the opportunities that came their way were few and far between as the Reno backline defended stoutly.

Seba's lifeline
    Seba United got a lifeline in the 86th minute when they were awarded a penalty after Reno's Obrian Woodbine handled the ball inside the goal area. Goalkeeper Taylor had no answer to Foster's well-placed penalty, which made the score 2-1. The score was unchanged at the final whistle.

"We did not play well today because our usual energy was missing," said Whitmore. "We needed these points to advance our mid-season final bid, but it never happened for us today."

Seba - 1
    Norman Foster 86th

Reno - 2
    Nicholi Findlayson 24th, 51st
    Last edited by Karl; December 3, 2007, 10:20 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Good to see Denroy Dennis playing and scoring some good goals. He was Colour top scorer who left Titchfield two years ago.

He came to Georges and took a little while to settle but he is now putting them in.

Georges going from strenght to strenght, what more can I say? When last a new team has been this impressive?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      Good to see Denroy Dennis playing and scoring some good goals. He was Colour top scorer who left Titchfield two years ago.

He came to Georges and took a little while to settle but he is now putting them in.

Georges going from strenght to strenght, what more can I say? When last a new team has been this impressive?
      Cannot remember any?
      Unless you mention House of Dread's entry in the KSAFA Major League competition!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I think Port Morant also did well in the NPL but its been a while.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          I think Port Morant also did well in the NPL but its been a while.
          You are right.
          I forgot about them!
          Shady Pines moment!

...and, damn I also forgot about Sandy Bay of Hanover (In the All-Island League forerunner to Cigeratte Co. Of Jamaica All-Island League and the Wray and Nephew All-island League). They came in 2nd...I think.

Comment

Why do J'can mewspapers always say "Brace" ?

What the hell does that mean ? why not just say a goal ?

So sick and tired of the "brace" "well traved Bora" "augurs well"....come up with something new or just say in plain english.

Comment

a brace is means they scored 2 goals in the game and is not just jamaican newspapers that is generally accepted in sports journalism..i heard it used on skysports about david bentleys 2 goals against ...whoever they played this weekend.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

But when we ready fi ride it, chuss mi...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Have you ever heard an interview with most Jamaican coaches? All Westmoreland coaches talk the same way, some a little more coherent than the others, they all sound like WD and every sentence must have 'as it relates to..."
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

same way police give evidence in court....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

LOL...prezackly
                      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                      X