X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFF gives in to PLCA

JFF gives in to PLCA

By André Lowe

The Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) is in the process of giving up its majority claim to the $9 million National Premier League (NPL) television rights earnings to the newly formed Premier League Club’s Association (PLCA).

Contrary to reports, which surfaced in other sections of the media, the JFF under previous agreements had received 60 per cent of the fee, which stood at $15 million last season, while the participating clubs share the remaining 40 per cent among themselves.

In the wake of several developments, primarily a sharp decrease in the amount paid over by the RJR Communication Group for exclusive rights, the JFF has decided to reverse the take and afford the NPL clubs 60 per cent of the figure that now stands at $9 million.

The RJR Group currently enjoys exclusive television rights to broadcast NPL games on its Television Jamaica (TVJ) brand, but was however refused these rights for radio broadcasting. This led to the reduction in the fee paid over by the organisation to the league administrators, as PLCA officials seek to broaden the reach of the league.

The group currently airs approximately 35 live matches out of 200.

The PLCA is chaired by former Prime Minister Edward Seaga and comprises an executive from each of the 12 NPL teams. It was authorised by the JFF to negotiate and manage the sponsorship of the league, resulting in Cash Plus’ $150 million over three years deal.

First vice-president of the JFF Dale Spencer confirmed that the JFF was in fact giving up the “bigger cut” as opposed to seeking it. He pointed out that the organisation recognised the importance of the clubs and wanted to provide a better situation for them.

“Under current arrangements we (JFF) receive the larger portion of the funds that come in from TV rights. We were determined to tilt the balance towards what we believe would be a more equitable position for the clubs. Things are not exactly finalised as yet as it is still before the board,” said Spencer.

Bigger split
    While highlighting that a bigger split would have been “ideal” for the PLCA, vice chairman Carvel Stewart welcomed the move by the JFF, stating that it augers well to the welfare of the clubs.

With regards to the ground floor of the JFF’s New Kingston secretariat, a consensus is yet to be finalised and reports reaching the Sunday Herald is that the federation has declared an asking price of $250,000 per month, which the PLCA has since labeled as excessive.

The PLCA had offered to pay the former JFF administration $150,000 per year for the 2,100 square feet space, a proposal which was squarely rejected and passed on to the incoming team. Real estate quotations show that similar units are being rented in the area for upwards of $120,000 per month.

Spencer could not confirm or deny the reports of an established asking price.

In a telephone interview, he said, “I am aware that a proposal was made to the previous administration and at this stage we are in the process of looking over the details. It will have to be fully assessed and appraised. We will be in a better position to know how to move forward.”
    PLCA vice-chairman Carvel Stewart claimed no knowledge of an asking price but underlined that his organisation would not be able to meet such a figure.

“As far as I can tell nothing has been finalised as yet. I was off the island for a while so maybe they (JFF) has spoken to somebody else but in any event that figure is far more than what we are prepared to pay,” said Stewart.

Stewart in the meantime hinted at the formation of a NPL players/coaches association in the near future.

He declared, “I am a strong advocate for such a body and would defiantly welcome a move like that as it would protect and forward the welfare of the league’s players and coaches. Under the right leadership it can be very effective. It is definitely necessary.”
    GO BACK
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Way to go if true
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

the queston is, with the uncertainities surrounding cash plus, what will become of their 150 million sponsorship over the coming years...
      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Well them better make sure them get some money upfront, just in case.

Hopefully they will still be around.

Comment

So what is Cash Plus paying for if their product isn't on TV or on the internet?

Seaga ran away with what he thought was the entire formula and like him no know say man nah go stop war him until him repent or acknowledge his wrongs.

Now look deh! A simple thing like putting the NPL games on the WORLDWIDE

Comment

So what is Cash Plus paying for if their product isn't on TV or on the internet?

Seaga ran away with what he thought was the entire formula and like him no know say man nah go stop war him until him repent or acknowledge his wrongs.

Now look deh! A simple thing like putting the NPL games on the WORLDWIDE web eludes dem brain because dem heart no clean and dem nah move right.

Thats w

Comment

Now look deh! A simple thing like putting the NPL games on the WORLDWIDE web eludes dem brain because dem heart no clean and dem nah move right.

Thats why when dem go egypt dem can't understand how the pyramids were built and dem say a slave build

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaInD...eature=related

sorry about the multiple posts but a this mi a show them say a yah so the players dem ago take a trip fi bolster dem beliefs

IF a guy don't like it then two words Asafa Powell

IF you heart no clean you nah go get the blessings from the father
                we have fi clean up our hearts and come.

Everything a pop dung and dem soon have fi come crawl back to the table because it was all written

In other words mi give them 10% of the formula and dem run with it but a just rope fi heng themselves as the other 90% deh yah si dung pon

Comment

Working...
                X