• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simoes set for comeback

Simoes set for comeback
    published: Friday | November 30, 2007

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

Simoes
    Brazilian Rene Simoes, the man responsible for steering Jamaica to a historic berth in the 1998 World Cup, looks to have packed his bags for an anticipated return to the island, where it is assumed he will take charge of the Reggae Boyz as they bid for an appearance in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"I am going to a place that needs me, where I was always valued, respected and learned to admire them as a race, as a people and as a country," Simoes, 54, said in a goodbye letter to fans of Brazilian local league Serie B club Curitiba, posted online by Curitiba publication Gazetta Do Pova yesterday.

LOYALTY FROM JFF
    "Complicity, loyalty has always been what I had from the President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) and its secretary-general," Simoes, the heavily moustached coach, best remembered for his animated forays up and down the sidelines clad in a 'Jesus Saves' T-shirt, continued.

"(It) is this that I always search for in my work, people who recognise the value of the work and in the future, who can be strong in losses and say we are going forward. Visionaries," he said.

Simoes, dubbed 'the little magician' by local fans of the , recently led Curitiba to the Serie B title and promotion to the Brazilian.

Not immediately available
    Since being reappointed unopposed as JFF president earlier this month, there has been speculation that Captain Horace Burrell, who brought Simoes on board for the first time in October 1994, would once again look in that direction for guidance.

Days after being in office, the new administration terminated the contract of Serbian Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic, who had signed a four-year contract with the then Crenston Boxhill-led administration in November of last year.

The Brazilian, who has also had stints with Trinidad and Tobago's Soca Warriors, Honduras, the Brazil women's teams and the Iran Under-23 team, was, however, not immediately available, having still been bound by contractual ties to his Brazilian club.
    Last edited by Karl; November 30, 2007, 10:41 AM.
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

And bringing one of his peeps

Brazilian named as support staff to Simoes
    Friday, 30 November 2007
    RJR Sports has learnt that one of the supporting staff to the Brazilian Rene Simoes, when he returns as national technical director, will be his countryman and physical trainer, Glydistan Ananias.

Ananias had replaced Alfredo Montesso in 1999 after Jamaica's historic appearance at the World Cup finals in France.

The Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) will next week make public the deal with Simoes.

Comment

Working...
    X