X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veron to DC United

D.C. United on verge of big signing

Posted: Thursday November 29, 2007 09:39AM ET

Goal.com has received word that Argentine midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron will sign with D.C. United when his contract with Estudiantes de la Plata ends in December. Veron would be the biggest signing by the club since Marco Etcheverry came aboard in 1996.

Juan Sebastian Veron , Daniel Garcia/Getty Images
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

MLS just can't resist, just making the league a washup player league.
    This is certainly not the way to go.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Veron would be the biggest signing by the club since Marco Etcheverry came aboard in 1996

that is a diss to beckham, all 250 million of him!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

by the club (DC United)

Comment

en punto jawge. i overlooked that.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Still, there must be a start in developing the MLS. Veron (the field marshall... i'm nuh partial) will sell seats at RFK and away .

Consider too that the MLS is expanding into new clubs. That will bring not ongle brand name tyiad legs--but top players in their prime.

Chusssssss mi.
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Hl yuh nuh waan some ah
              di skill cole talk up top? Nuh fraid man; step inna di fiyah

Comment

King Jawge..seems like you know me well...

I saw the thread-- and kept away from it like the poxxx.

I don't fight battles that I cannot win.

(Hope all is well with you).
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Sass bwoy, yuh nuh easy. Nuh wha' day yah yuh de call fi Pepe as age nuh supposin fi matter if di player still have it? Well, Veron was born March 9th, 1975 and Goodison was born November, 1972. Veron is still playing in a league far higher than any Goodison has played in his lifetime as a player. Veron recently represented his country in the Copa America and is a general for his side Estuidantes. All of a sudden him mash up?
                  Talk bout double standards. . .
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Tilla you are talking about one balla who is playing for Jamaica national side, one balla. The fact is over the last 4 years Jamaica have tried all the others and nothing work so go back fi the old stallion.

In the MLS case is different, they have been buying and putting publicity on nothing but ballas who have no more than two years left. From paying 200 million to becks, to wash up Denielson, the middlesburgh defender with the white hair, trying to get Zizzou and now Veron.

It nah go work and it will backfire. How much a them players either teams in the MLS Cup had? Concentrate and building the overall product and don't go the route of the North American Soccer League.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Suh, yuh nuh tink Veron can have anything to offer at age 32, hile still a candidate for his Argentina national side and a major player with one of the top clubs in Argentina. Remember, it was back troubles which almost ended his career at Man U and then Chelsea before he went home, saw his own doctors and recovered.

One thing you have to understand with the MLS. THey are trying to get the big names to come here to get the crowd. I am sure when they have a good follwing, they will launch out and get the young bucks.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I don't really see a problem.

MLS has been signing a few people in the low thirties who will definitely increase the attendance of the league. Only a few folks have been signed. They stilll maitaining their farin limit.

I think Veron would have been a netter fit at NY/NJ, but I guess they might try for Ronaldo one more time.

Comment

This is an abolute jackass move by DC United. We have no outside mid-fielders, no center backs, and one rhatid forward and we decide to waste our designated player money on a flipping def. central mid-fielder? I want to know who is the flipping genius that thought this through. I mean crap, def central mid is only our strongest position on the team. God forbid we actually use our designated player money on a position where we need someone. This is just flat out stupid. I could not be anymore ticked by this move.

Signing just for signings sake. - T.K.
                          No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

He has a lot to offer but I am looking on the overall short term thinking of the league.

Comment

No not NJ/NY because Dane may have to sit or transfer. You can only have so much international players.

Comment

Working...
                              X