X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin back at Stoke

Austin back at Stoke

By Nodley Wright, Freelance Writer

Jamaica's Rudolph Austin (right) fends off Shawn Martin Henriquez (left) and Ronald Cerritos Flores of El Salvador during their international friendly at the National Stadium on November 18. Jamaica won 3-0. - Ricardo Makyn

National utility player Rudolph Austin departed the island on Thursday for England, a day after his impressive showing in the second of two friendly internationals against Central American opposition at the National Stadium.

The 21-year-old will be training with Championship team Stoke City, already the home club of compatriots Ricardo Fuller, the club's leading scorer and midfielder/defender Demar Phillips. It will be the second time that Austin will be training with the club in the hope of gaining a contract.

Rave reviews
    Austin, a former standout for Clarendon College in the daCosta Cup football competition earned rave reviews for his displays in the defensive midfield position in Jamaica's two games against El Salvador and Guatemala. In the first he scored a screamer out of nothing from about 40 yards to open the scoring in his country's 3-0 win.

"I will be training with them this time for a month. The plan is for the club to reapply for a work permit when the transfer window re-opens in January. If that fails then I will go to another club in Belgium or somewhere else in Europe until I earn more national caps and will be able to secure a work permit," Austin told the Star.

"The fact that I am going back now shows that they really want me on their books and do not want to take any risks by having me remain in Jamaica and playing in the Cash Plus Premier League and possibly get injured. They want me up here training with them where they can monitor me," added the player who is currently on the books of Portmore United.

Just before the closing of the international transfer window on September 1, Stoke failed to secure a work permit for Austin after an impressive two-week trial period with the club along with Phillips. Then the home office ruled that he had not secured enough caps for the national team.

"It's a big disappointment. The case was thrust upon us and so we didn't have time to prepare for it," Stoke's assistant manager, Dave Kemp was quoted as saying at the time.
    "He's trained brilliantly and been very impressive. He's fully fit now and back in the Jamaican national team, but because of the injury he missed three Gold Cup qualifying games and so didn't meet the necessary criteria for being considered a regular international.

"He will be very disappointed, but we will keep tabs on him and hopefully we can do something in the future.

"I believe we can re-apply for a permit in 12 months," Kemp added then.
    In the meantime Austin said that securing a place in the starting line-up with a close to the strongest Jamaican team available was the realisation of a dream. Having got a taste of action among the big boys Austin said there is no looking back. "I think it is only up from here right now. The first game I was really proud of the way I played, the way I tackled, covered ground and especially the goal. The second game was a little bit different, but I think I did reasonably well and besides it is a learning process. It will not always be smooth," he offered.
    Last edited by Karl; November 27, 2007, 08:38 AM.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

mmmm?
    Realist! Realised he played crap in the second game and said it!

Full Respeck to the young man! With such an attitude that compliments his talents...he should go far!
    Wish him all the very best.

Aside: His performance in the first game was not bad....and, his goal was fabulous!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

First Bolton, then Preston & Now Stoke City......Anywhere he better get ah signing quick cos in England,the Jonny Foreigner is da enemy within.
      It would be good to be there when da gates of Zion are closed ......... Chalice

Comment

Can he get a work permit with our ranking?
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

yes he can, that was explained a long time ago...come on Tilla
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Guess I am suffering from a Karl moment. Care to remind me how?
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I recall the previous Gen Sec explaining that it was not cut and dried that countries falling out of the top 70 on the FIFA list cant get contracts.

Cant recall the details now but ask yourself this, I am sure Stoke is aware that we are not in the top 70 why would they waste time in taking the youth there if they know he cant sign?

Or are they trying to 'butter him up' so when we get back in the top 70 he will be leaning towards them as we are sure there will be other suitors coming his way.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

It's average ranking over 2 yrs I think. So because we were in the top 50 not too long ago, our average ranking over the months are holdin up.

Comment

Memba say the english were the ones who ran up in Ethiopia and have most of the artifacts in their museums and the english them travel the world searching and robbing people graves

They know what is happening and they know it is coming from us.

Its just that we didn't know and a long time dem a try kill we prophets but now that the "secret" is out if you can't beat them then join them

Dem know say we are the FORMULA so its everyman for himself as the gold rush is on to get Jamaican talent.

Its not like I am some big genius or something, I am just reciting what is already written. The first shall be last and the last first and in the end it will just be like the beginning so mi deh yah a sip the water from the book of life and a spiritually uplift the masses www.myspace.com/cdfreakmusic nah sell nothing so it isn't advertising and if anything Shatta do more free ad for this site and give more free advice than anyone so should I then not be able to post a link to my myspace when people like Zeppo are allowed to continue around here unmolested?

Don't tell mi say the man dem a carry belly because mi finally do what unnu ask mi fi do and that is stop think mi know and go seek knowledge

So now that mi a seek it from the Book of Life it seems some man would rather harden dem heart and ignore the search for the truth
                  for fear of being wrong and then having to be corrected

Yet dem tell mi say dem read proverbs and a the book of life a dem guide

That leads me to one logical conclusion and that is we don't think we can live the way the bible prescribe that we live.
                  We no longer BELIEVE so mek me go dig up some PROOF cause dem say seeing is believing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuBpD...eature=related

deh yah a try make sense out of nonsense

dem say seek and yee shall find

Chief Servant to the Streets

Now the white folks a run out pon dem because dem finally realised that they are being tricked

respect dem time a come man and dem can't stop it so dem money a run go Jamaica fi control we but its game over fi dem

Comment

Wha all a dat affi do wid Rudi Austin goin to Stoke?

Comment

Shatta: And how does this affect the price of rice in China?

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                        Shatta: And how does this affect the price of rice in China?
                        Him ago say summ'n like dem put Rudi Austin picture pon di rice bag dem and because Rudi a the best black player, it become a commodity in China so the price rise pon "Rudi Austin" rice.

Comment

Parables my lord, those to whom it is directed get it.

Inside information to those in the know, memba when Granny used to talk to us in parables? Well a so the thing set up.

I have to move with what is given to me.

True Garveyites will know and understand what "man won't know himself until his back is against the wall" means.

This has more to do with us as a collective than Austin as an individual

He is just a manifestation of what is happening

Anyway the book of life told me that the Isrealites would be the first to reject what I have to say so as usual its all going to form

respect

Comment

The search is on to unearth the next Black Pearl and Whitmore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx6IG...eature=related

If not for the memories of the fallen soldiers www.myspace.com/cdfreakmusic I don't know how I would manage to carry on.

track 2

This is for my fallen soldiers we miss you(Garvey, Martin Luther King
                            (Malcolm X, Walter Rodney etc

Real real soldiers

gone pon the battlefield
                            life is so real

although you are gone
                            we are with you and nah give up the fight

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s_uq...eature=related

Top coaches give instructions to our youngsters via distance learning technology developed by our very own Northern Caribbean University alums who took second place in the Microsoft software competition

http://www.microsoft.com/westindies/jamaica/

Giving both sets of youths a chance to elevate and giving the youths in the ghetto a positive news to look up to

Any objections? Karl I don't hear you?

Jawge wah you say? Assassin are you there? What about you Barry?

then again why bother ask as the answer is already written in the book of life so mek me gwaan read and see wah a gwaan

deh yah a do the daddy day care thing as mi patiently build the thing

nah rush nothing a early warm, the man dem just rock and come in

Chief Servant to the streets

Comment

Working...
                              X