A critical look at our forwards To take us to Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Warlord View Post

I would much rather look to Bennet and Shelton as options. They are alot younger and can learn and adapt quicker. The thing is what we need our strikers to learn most is to have better positioning in the box.
    Fuller and Shelton are often in good position and usually get many, many chances in each match.

The problem is they would receive more chances if they were properly taught "give and you shall receive" - i.e. pass the ball more often/involve your teammates and "you shall receive" even more 'set-ups' on goal.

The only conclusion I have drawn over the years is not enough - that could be none ever done - drawn up and executed exercises on the matter of getting free for shot on goal...and, the taking of shots as the 'end-activity' on those exercises.

Truth is there is another possibility; the exercises are done but the players are dumb --- 'ead tuff'!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
      Bennet is a lot younger than FULLER? You learn something new every day
      okay he's only a year younger but i still think he is a better option to Fuller.

Comment

Originally posted by Warlord View Post
        okay he's only a year younger but i still think he is a better option to Fuller.
        Because he scored once in the Gold Cup? Fuller is one of if not the best striker in the Championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post

Fuller is one of if not the best striker in the Championship.
          Bricktop,

I agree with you that he is but is he good on the international level? How many years did Fuller play in the premiership and why couldn't he cut it there?

Championship football is a lot different to Premiership and international football. I can give you a list of championship players who were a bust in the premiership or international football for that matter.

Comment

I would start with Fuller & Marlon King. Shelton needs playing time to be sharp in qualifying. Onandi Lowe's international career ended sometime ago, we need fi figet bout him.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
              Fuller & Shelton cannot be blooded in this campaign to get the chemistry right, We tried that with 2 campaigns witn Fuller ! we cannot do the same with Shelton .We need to play those that have an innate ability to play a one touch ball game,its the hallmark of a pure striker.
              Interesting analysis, although very flawed. Right now King and Fuller are our two best fowards ....period! King is a better finisher, but Fuller is the better creator..both shoud start as they can compliment each other.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                Fuller doesnt offer versatility as a Forward, he hasnt done it before i cannot see it happeniing now .

What we need is an attacking midfielder to spray passes to these individuals or run through any open space with pace.Fuller or J.J , lets face it a Forward line up with Fuller is predictable in Concacaf they have played against it for 2 campaigns.

Onandi will grab his chance if offered Brick ..chuss me!
                Man, I hope you are not a coach because your analyst suggest that you have a very limited understanding of football and the forward position. If you watched many of the full team boyz game you would have noticed that Fuller was involved in many (if not most) of our goals and created many more chances that were not converted. Look at Marlon Kings' goals and opportunities and you will see that Fuller was the architect behind many of them. You need a guy like Fuller to break down a defence and mek them nervous, this in turn creates more space and opportunity for our other forwards because of the focus Fuller commands. All of you who said he was a flop in the prem. seemed to have forgot that he has just now fully recovered from his previous knee injury. He couldn't pass a fitness test until recently. I'm looking forward to big things form him and King along with our other up and coming forwards.

Comment

We should try Fuller and Jermaine Johnston up front in a few practice games.

Comment

Very limited ? so i guess my understanding is as limited as the prem managers ? its simple if you dont produce as a Forward you find the bench.It doesnt matter how many assist your are involved in does it ?

If you are seeking credit for being an assistant as a Forward , apply for the midfield or wingers position.Its a point most coaches take except for the JOKE C.B.

Why was Fuller traded from his respective clubs when his goal scoring efforts went dry? I am sure he was assisting like crazy in alot of goals?

Dont use his knee as an excuse ,his good knee didnt help him before , he was a flop when he recovered and was traded. or sold .

I will give you an analysis by the MEX coach when they needed goals from thier Forwrads, one goal for every 3 games .Not an assist a goal.

DO YOU GET IT ! We have been through this a milllion times with Fuller , he has cost us a campaign some would argue two, with his lack of goals.I can make a case against Fuller that every assist on goal he cost us 2 golas with his poor finishing.

DO YOU GET ! its the only wat to Africa , you need to have as you say (( very limited understanding of football and the forward position))

Kissteeth!We are not going to Africa with Fuller as our starting striker just write it off.
                    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Like I said, you have very limited knowledge of forwards. You need to check out how many starting forwards in the prem. have not scored or scored only 1 goal but are still in the starting lineup. Alan Smith from Newcastle, and Kevin Davies from Bolton are examples. Fuller was traded from Preston to the prem. Fuller was traded from Portsm. to Southampton because Rednapp was fired from Portsm. and went to Southampton. When a manager like Harry wants a player like Fuller it should tell you something. When Harry was fired from Southampton the new manager wanted his own forwards. Still, Fuller was their leading goal scorer for the second half of the season. Fuller's knee had to be drained after every game until close to the end of last year. If we were to apply the metric of 1 goal every 3 games for prem fowards over 90 % of them would lose their jobs. Fowards need service and our midfield has been lacking in that dept. for a very long time.

Peace

Comment

If Harry was not fired from the managers job Fuller would still be there. None of Portsmouth Fowards would have prospered in the lone striker positon he was asked to play. Yakubu said flat out that he would not play that role. Right now we don't have enough eveidence to say he can't cut it in the prem.

Comment

Working...
                        X