Finishing a superb 17-pass move ...Only Arsenal can stop us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing a superb 17-pass move ...Only Arsenal can stop us

Things will balance out by New years, a point seperates the top 5 except Arsenal leading by 3 .

GERRARD INSPIRES EMPHATIC WIN

Anyone who questioned how Steven Gerrard would respond to the disappointment of England's Euro 2008 exit should have known better.

The skipper's sixth goal in seven games set Liverpool on their way to a thoroughly deserved 3-0 win in Newcastle on Saturday lunchtime.

His first-half thunderbolt was as good as anything we've seen from the number eight in recent years.

Add to that two assists for Dirk Kuyt and Ryan Babel in the second half, and you've got yourself an emphatic full stop on a week Gerrard and many of his club colleagues would rather forget.

The result was rarely in doubt. Liverpool dominated possession from start to finish. It was almost as if they were playing at home, with the hosts resorting to the kind of counter-attacking football we're used to seeing from the likes of Birmingham and Portsmouth at Anfield.

The game's first real opportunity came on eight minutes when Fernando Torres was fouled on the edge of the box. It was the same spot from which Gerrard bulged the net against Arsenal a few weeks ago but, though he hit the target, the skipper's effort never seriously troubled Shay Given's goal.

Minutes later Torres skipped past a defender as he does, only to be thwarted by a last-gasp tackle from Habib Beye.

Gerrard gave another indication of what was to come when he stung Given's hands on 20 minutes after cutting inside and launching a fierce effort from 30 yards. Inspired, Carragher tried his luck from distance. The outcome was predictable.

Then came the opener. We've seen some special goals from men in red this season, and many of them from the captain, but Gerrard's 27th minute free-kick was a match for any of them. The ball was rolled sideways by the impressive Lucas, who was making his first league start since arriving from Gremio in the summer. Then, smack. Given needn't have bothered moving.

You'd think the goal would rouse Sam Allardyce's men, but no. The increasingly restless Toon Army had to wait 37 minutes for a decent attempt at Pepe Reina's goal. Alan Smith was the protagonist with a driving volley which went narrowly wide.

Torres should then have made it 2-0 to the visitors when Given went AWOL, but, confronted with an open goal 25 yards out, the Spaniard hit the post.

Replays showed the Newcastle stopper deserved to see red for handling outside the box seconds earlier, yet there were still 22 men on the pitch as the second half got underway.

Unfortunately for the majority of St James's Park, 11 of them had their heads in their hands within a minute. Gerrard's corner was nothing to write home about, but a lack of any sort of marking allowed Sami Hyypia to flick on before Kuyt shinned home his third league goal of the campaign.

Torres hit narrowly wide on 60 minutes after more calamitous defending, and the Spanish hitman wriggled his way into another goalscoring position shortly after. This time he was denied by the feet of Given.

Rafa Benitez swapped Harry Kewell for Babel on 58 minutes, and it was the Dutchman who made it game, set and match by finishing a superb 17-pass move in which Gerrard was again instrumental.

All that was missing was a Torres goal. It wasn't for want of trying: three times he found himself through after Liverpool's third, but it just wasn't his day.

Kuyt could have bagged his second before making way for John Arne Riise with a quarter of an hour remaining.

Benitez shuffled his pack once more on 80 minutes by introducing Peter Crouch. The departing Gerrard was roundly booed by the home faithful. You'd think they'd have better things to worry about after their side's abject display.

As for Liverpool, it's now 13 league games unbeaten this season - something the Merseysiders have not achieved since 1990-91.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Raging Benitez lifts the lid on Liverpool unrest
    By STEPHEN DAVIES - More by this author »

Last updated at 22:49pm on 24th November 2007

Comments

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez wore a satisfied smile after the 3-0 victory over Newcastle as he set off back to Merseyside having lifted the lid on his difference of opinion with owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

The Spaniard was yesterday told to concentrate on the players he already has after voicing his frustration over the club's transfer policy approaching the January window, but after seeing his players deliver once again, he stated his case publicly.

Scroll down to read more:

Steven Gerrard celebrates his stunning strike that gave Liverpool a first-half lead

Read more...

Allardyce under fire as Liverpool brush aside Newcastle
    Newcastle fans' abuse does not faze Liverpool skipper Gerrard
    Liverpool bosses tell Benitez to stop whingeing and start winning
    Stop asking for money and coach - Hicks' blast to Liverpool boss Benitez
    Benitez considers leaving Liverpool if owners don't spend big
    Is Liverpool boss Benitez already considering life away from Anfield?

Benitez, who pointed to the £26million he has brought back into the club in the last year, said: "It is clear Mr Hicks wants the best for the club and we want the best for the club.

Rafa Benitez and Sam Allardyce could both be on the brink of the sack after a Liverpool side inspired by Steven Gerrard humiliated Newcastle at St James' Park.

For the second successive home match, Newcastle were abject, with their fans chanting "You don't know what you are doing" and "Big Sam for England" after barely an hour. The fury that greeted the final whistle after the team failed to muster a single shot on target will not have gone unnoticed by grim-faced owner Mike Ashley.

But Liverpool's emphatic victory, which maintained their unbeaten start to the Premier League season, might not be enough to keep Benitez in his job as he again hit out at American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett over his lack of spending power in the January transfer window.

Less than 24 hours after Hicks had told the Spaniard to "quit talking about new players and coach those he has already",the Spanish manager made no attempt to clear up speculation about his future, pointedly noting the Americans' lack of knowledge about the transfer system in England compared with "draft" used in the USA.

"We want the best for the club, and because we have been here for a long time, we know what passion means in football in Europe," said Benitez, after goals by Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt and Ryan Babel earned Liverpool three points. "We know what the transfer window market means, we know what it means to sign free — and I insist free — players now. I was not asking to spend money.

"They know the manager needs to manage the squad and prepare the squad for this year and for the future. Mr Hicks wants the best for the club, me too,and because I have three years' experience at this club, I know its passion. I know football in Europe — it is not a draft, so you need to sign players, or talk with agents now."

Benitez's comments will be seen by many as a suicide note.Even his attire, a track suit instead of his normal shirt and tie,was a reminder that he is unhappy at being regarded as "just as a coach".

Benitez, who is frustrated at the club failing to sign off a £17 million deal to buy on-loan Javier Mascherano, will be told in three weeks by his American bosses that there will be no money for new players and he must sell to make the Argentine's stay at Anfield permanent.

But he is clearly not in the mood to stay quiet. "I have been here for three years and I like this club," he said.

"I will do my best to win games for my supporters, and I think (Mr Hicks) will try to do the same.

"We had a meeting the day of the Arsenal game and it was really, really positive. After that, something changed. I tried to explain my ideas, but they said: 'Rafa, keep focusing on coaching and training because Rick Parry will be in charge of buying and selling players'. So now I will wait and maybe we will lose some targets, but I will try to do my best.

"From Istanbul to Cardiff or Monaco, we have won a lot of trophies and watched a lot of supporters travel with us, so they know what this club means to me. If we do our job properly, they will understand, and I am sure Mr Hicks wants the best for the club.

"I didn't talk about money. It was the opposite, to bring money back — we have brought £26 million back this year. I am trying to do the best as a manager for my club to bring money back to spend some money on better players, and you can see the value of the squad.

"I think they will understand this. But they say now Rick Parry is in charge of signing and selling players at this moment, so OK, we will see."

If Benitez's problems are off the pitch, Allardyce's are most certainly on it. Appointed by the previous regime rather than current owner Ashley, the former Bolton boss, who has ruled himself out of the England job, watched Newcastle slump to another heavy home defeat, following a 4-1 reverse against Portsmouth.

His side have now taken only one point out of 12, and although Ashley has given his support already this season, Allardyce knows he faces an uphill task.

"I have never quite found myself in this predicament before," said the manager.

"But I have dealt with some difficult situations and this one is a good challenge.

"You roll your sleeves up and you get on with your job. You know what's right and you know what's wrong and you get it put right. Hopefully, that starts at Blackburn next week."
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
    X