A Holostic Look at Rafa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Holostic Look at Rafa

Please note that Rafa's 'tantrum' has consisted of largely cryptic, vague comments given at a press conference.

Whilst "maybe I would take the England job someday, who knows? I'm serious" can certainly be justifiably seen as a veiled attack, it is hardly the same as 'washing dirty linen in public'.

Mourinho made FAR more baltant comments regarding his lack of transfer backing. Comments that were, although justified, somewhat less so than what Rafa SEEMS to be saying, on the grounds that Rafa isn't asking for players to be brought in to cover positions where he's forced world class players out of the club via a refusal to play them in their preferred position, ever, after having made blatant attacks on them in public, IE Gallas.

Similarly, whilst I agree taht even these veiled attacks are somewhat wrong, I would also like to point out that:

a) Rafa did not personally make not just assurances but PROMISES that he would be handed a very competitive budget, both before and after the take over.

b) Neither has Rafa EVER publicly criticised ANY member of the clubs heirarchy by name, unlike the Liverpool director who was forced to resign due to public criticism of Rafa.

c) No manager since the Boot Room days has achieved Rafa's level of success, whilst (regardless of what people may say about our spending under him) keeping the books pretty balanced, whilst leaving the club in a state where, even if he were sacked or resigned we are in a much stronger a position on the pitch than we were after his predecessor left.
    Houllier, Evans, Souness Dalglish, of those the only one who could lay any claim to having left any foundations was Souness - a man who spent close to a british record fee on Paul Stewart, one of the lest talented players to have ever played for us, in my view.

@Eccles.

There you have a much more valid point. Check my profile, I even wrote and article a while back on the idea that while our flexibility is a strength, especially in Europe, our lack of an overall, definite plan A may be costing us in the Premiership.

That said, Rafa had a 'plan A' at Valencia.

a plan so effective that it utterly destroyed one of the most effective defensive units in World Football - one that had snuffed out teams like Barcelona and Man Utd on their own pitches - to such an extent that the fans of the beaten team applauded Valencia off the pitch.

That team was Houllier's Liverpool, playing at around their peak.

I would say that we have been getting closer to Valencia each season.

Rafa has had to take a team built on counter attack and (I admit now) quite a lot of long balls, and a defense so deep it made deep blue look shallow and turquoise, into one that plays technical football based on possession football and zonal marking.

This season he finally has the players to get close to that game plan, and we play like that when we have our better players fit...EG Besiktas.

Even in the Arsenal game I would argue that for all their passing, they did not actually start regularly hurting us till Alonso went off.

Starting Torres was a mistake, but for that 15 minute spell where Crouch and Alonso were both on we looked at least Arsenal's equals, and I doubt we'd have drawn if Alonso had not been injured, he was simply majestic in that spell, and Fabregas was snuffed out utterly by Masher, who also picked up a knock in that game.

Similarly we have beaten tems like Barca, Chelsea and Juventus, even your own United in the FA cup semi as much through possession and skill as through obstinate defence.

I firmly belive that Rafa's ethos is this:

"Football is an extremely random sport. However, the more you control possession, the more you reduce the randomness. The way to dominate possession is to have a dominant defence and especially, central midfield. Once youhave that, and dominate possession, you muct then add those players who can add the random to your team."

He has had to try and get those players on the cheap. Problem is, Wenger is seen as a genius entirely due to getting those types of pleyers on the cheap. Others have to buy 'em or wait for them to appear.

Rafa is trying to make 'em, but that takes time. This season, the one player he has ever bought who can fairly be described as being in that 'batteries included, ready out of the box, world class flair player' category is Torres.

The same Torres who even no LFC fans agree is easily the best striker we have had since Fowler/Rush.

I would argue that he already has a superior all-round game to either of them, even more to his game than the legendary Dalglish, and hence he has the potential to be our best ever.

He came because of Rafa. So did Alonso, so did Mash. No sane owner backs himself ahead of his owner in the face of such praise from the players.

That's the Abramovich way, not the building a great club for more than a season way - esactly why I worry about Capello in particular. A phenomenal coach, but one who epitomises the 'buying success, one season at a time, using players picked by the owners' approach.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

X -- Rafa made a point today after the game to state that he is worried that Hicks and Gillette don't understand the transfer market. If a player is "available" you can't sit around and wait for the window, you have to move as early as you can to secure that player's services while you can, first and foremost being to make sure you have the $$$ to do it, which is what led to the "bust up". He also said that he is focused on the immediate games as he has been directed.

Now, in my opinion, Rafa MUST realise that he is going to lose MASSIVE credibility if he does NOT qualify for the knockout stages of the UCL. As you know, we are a team of destiny and we have overcome long odds before, but if I were in Rafa's shoes, I'd shut up and worry about beating Porto and Marseille (not to mention winning the next few Prem games against: Bolton, Reading, Manure and Portsmouth. Not to mention the Carling Cup semi against Chelsea in the middle of all of that.

By the time we play Manure, we will know if we are in the UCL or not. If not, my *guess* is that Rafa's days are numbered, so it makes sense that he worries about the team NOW and lower the priority of the transfer window. The only exception that I would 'low him is Mascherano. We have to figure out how to pay for him.
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Peter I think Rafa has a point , he has achieved a lot with little in the past he has proven he is a tactical genius , the trophies and % dont lie.If liverpool sack Rafa it would be catatrosphic.I argue it would put us back 5 years.He has a bonafide plan to build a foundation like Arsenal.His moves in the past to buy and acquire talent is remarkable our youth system seem to be holding its own against the Big boys.

Even if we dont qualify for the C.L group stages or win the prem (horse race ) I believe he will prove this year that it is within reach ,with the right injection of players everything will be ours.

I dont believe he will be sacked end of season if we under achieve,if we do it next season then I say yes sack him .I expect us to win a majour title this season and i expect it to be the prem.If not one then both majour titles .

We are on par with Arsenal our pedigree is that of Champion League CHAMPIONS.Rafa is hungry for the prem and screaming at Hicks & co is justiafiable for the required resources.If he screams I dont doubt his reasons.Obviously the americans are not forth coming in some areas?

Undefeated in the prem ! a game behind Arsenal .Interesting to see Arsenal with an injured Adebayour out for 3 weeks .We have seen Man who without Ferdinnad and Rooney out 2 weeks.Rotation Rotation Rotation !
      Last edited by Sir X; November 24, 2007, 10:24 PM.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

How much money him want so?

Him get a lot of money in the last transfer window and brought in alot of players. Him can't get big budget all the time, after him a nuh Chelsea.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

He was promised a budget of 50 million ! As much as he brought in this past summer rumored to be at 26 million pounds with the sale of players, If he brought in that much and Torres cost us 17 million then we have a 9 million difference which is profit !He spent 45 million on new players which means 20 odd million wasnt touched in his promised 50 million transfer kitty. So what happened to the promised financial support?

To tell a genius shut up and play ball just wont cut it at liverpool.

He spent liverpool monies wisely only to be shafted by the yanks.which top class manager is going to run a prestigous club like ours on a shoe string budget? If these yanks think Mourinho or anyone of quality is coming in to work with that budget they must think its a draft system , not only will Rafa riot but the fans too.
          Last edited by Sir X; November 25, 2007, 08:57 AM.

Comment

The question is how many players him a go bring in?

As the coach of Liverpool Rafa has bought a lot of players so him need fi just start coaching and stop that rotation policy of his.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Rafa is a comedian. Time to stop the excuses. The man went and got two players for each position and has enough talent to be topping the EPL. If he chooses not to play Torres and work with the other missers then that is his problem.

Comment

thank you sah.

Comment

Spoken like a novice .

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
                    Rafa is a comedian. Time to stop the excuses. The man went and got two players for each position and has enough talent to be topping the EPL. If he chooses not to play Torres and work with the other missers then that is his problem.
                    How long has rafa been at Liverpool?
                    Has he been a success or a failure?

My take is the man is demonstrating a novel way of managing his players. ...and, he has been a success at Liverpool!
                    Liverpool owners and fanz waaaant more! That's a fact!
                    ...but, Rafa's results speak for him!

Liverpool is sitting pretty at this moment!
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

why him a keep up a stink so over transfer? How many players has pool brought in since he has been there? Fergie and Wenger just been through periods where no money was there for transfer but them never lick out.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                        why him a keep up a stink so over transfer? How many players has pool brought in since he has been there? Fergie and Wenger just been through periods where no money was there for transfer but them never lick out.
                        It would suggest he was being denied money he determined he needed...and, he hoped by taking it public his backers would relent?

Who knows, he may have miscalculated and perhaps at the first opportunity his current backers...who apparently are upset...receives he shall be shown the door?! ...or, he gets his money...bring further fame and fortune Liverpool's way and becomes the next 'hero of Anfield'?
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Here comes a time when you have to use what you have. He doesn't have a bad team and he request most of the players.

A dat the man them a tell, "we give you what you want now shut up and give us what we want".

Comment

Well like you said you support football not a specific club , so I dont expect if I explanied the politricks behind Rafa moves you will understand.

BTW liverpool has far from a strong squad , our Forward line needs strengthing , our left flank needs strengthing and so does our defence.Our midfield is ready.Simply put having quantity doesnt spell quality.

If we are a game or two off the leaders by New Years or at the Top He needs funds and Hicks and Co will be forced to give it to him , point is he believes he will be and as he said the transfer window doesnt start in december it is on going.

Comment

Since Rafa been there he has bought in Olanzo, Crouch, Pennant, Kuryt, Bellamy, torres, the guy who name start with V, and babel amongst others. How many forward him a go buy inna such a short space?

If him buy so much forward how the forward line so weak?

Comment

Working...
                              X