Capello steps up England bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capello steps up England bid

Fabio Capello feels his chances of becoming England's new coach have been boosted by Jose Mourinho's lack of interest in the role.
    Former Chelsea manager Mourinho is understood to be lukewarm to the idea of replacing Steve McClaren in the England hotseat.
    Another early favourite with the bookmakers - Martin O'Neill - has also ruled himself out of the running after pledging his commitment to Aston Villa.
    That has prompted ex-Real Madrid and Juventus coach Capello to emerge as the leading contender to take on the job.
    He admitted to an interest earlier in the week and reports have claimed that he is due to hold talks with the Football Association.
    Convinced

"I was convinced that Mourinho would have accepted," Capello told Rai 2.
    "But the fact that he has opted to step aside means that he has another aim.
    "But I am older than Mourinho."
    Capello also reiterated his earlier view that he would savour the challenge of coaching England after the failure to qualify for Euro 2008.
    The Italian added: "It would be a very interesting challenge and difficult challenges have always fascinated me."
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

What? Where is the campaign for an English coach? I recall after Sven everybody was calling for an English coach. I guess now they see that there is no competent enough English coach.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X