• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billion $$$$ Budget

Billion dollar budget
    published: Friday | November 23, 2007

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

Captain Horace Burrell (left), president of the Jamaica Football Federation, in deep discussion with Jeffrey Webb, president of the Cayman Islands Football Association, at the National Stadium on Wednesday night. Webb said he was impressed with the national team's showing after their 2-0 beating of Guatemala. - Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer

JAMAICA'S BID to qualify for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and the development of national programmes is estimated to cost an already cash-strapped Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) just a shade under $1 billion over the next few years.

The estimate was put forward by Leighton McKnight, chairman of the JFF's financial committee, during a press conference at the organisation's head offices in New Kingston yesterday.

"We have some significant financial challenges. It is going to take quite a bit of money. I don't want to frighten anyone with figures but it has to be an all-inclusive project," McKnight said.

"We certainly have the talent, but talent alone cannot do it. We are going to need support from the Jamaican public, corporate Jamaica, everybody," he said.

Already used up
    The JFF recently received a $35-million grant from the Jamaican government through the Sports Development Foundation, but that amount had already been used.

The money was used to offset the total amount owed to fired technical director Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic ($29.5 million), staff salaries and statutory payments, which amounted to 1.6 million along with expenses for the women's teams, which totalled nearly $800,000, and leaves the newly elected Captain Horace Burrell administration, which began with a deficit of more than $100 million, still heavily in debt.

"The injection from the Government was really highly appreciated and I would like to publicly express my heartfelt gratitude, but looking at some of the expenses we face, it is a drop in the bucket," Burrell said.

The organisation still owes the English Football Association about $22 million and the Government another $16 million in unpaid statutory deductions.

Profits from friendly
    Despite the financial difficulties, the administration has been encouraged by its start which preliminary figures indicate was $11.3 million from the El Salvador friendly.

However, with expenses, which included airfare and hotel accommodation for both teams plus other expenses totalling in the region of $10 million, there was only a small surplus of $375,000. With the cost of hosting internationals on the rise, spectators could soon be asked to pay more as, according to the administration, current ticket prices are well below what is asked for on the international market.

"The Reggae Boyz is a brand which has got some serious injury in recent times but we have a strong team of doctors who, with the help of the public, our sponsors, the Government and private sector, have begun working to repair it," said Burrell.

Pay for flights
    With the cancellation of the Air Jamaica to London route, the JFF has had to pay heavily to get the overseas-based players on flights to the island, according to Burrell, but the new board was seeking meetings with several airlines with a view to alleviate the situation. The financial arm of the new administration is currently working on a detailed budget.
    Last edited by Karl; November 23, 2007, 12:10 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

When in history did we get a breakdown like this from any JFF administration? Including the Burrell Admin of the past?

Good going, keep it up.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      When in history did we get a breakdown like this from any JFF administration? Including the Burrell Admin of the past?

Good going, keep it up.
      Yuh rite!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I told you were talking crap some time ago and yuh come back with this nonsense. I repeat - I have been to press conferences where this sort of breakdown was given to the public.

Anyway, stay up in Atlanta and gwaan believe that you know everything that takes place on the rock.

Change is good, indeed! Was the Captain this open with his previous administration? That's what you need to find out.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

a budget proposal was every put forward for 4 years? by any admin?

Comment

I don't believe so, but that was not what you meant by breakdown, and you know it!

Again - change is good. We are not only getting breakdowns as was supplied by the last administration, but 4 year budgets! That would be the only difference, assasin, so let's not get gushy. Even so, there appears to be some information that was not forthcoming regarding the matches but because I am fully aware that the media does not report every little detail, then I will refrain from accusing this admin of not having supplied much more.

You should do the same for the last.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Have you forgotten the "jump in the sea" comment? Yuh think it was in response to some unreasonable request made by the RBSC?

Settle down, sass.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mo as you say I said the details provided now is more than any other admin. I also meant the overall 4 year plan, if my wording was not correct sorry for it, but I am just calling it as I saw it. A few days ago you weren't expecting anything and now?

Comment

It is rather disingenuous to be gushing like this:

"When in history did we get a breakdown like this from any JFF administration? Including the Burrell Admin of the past?

Good going, keep it up.

Ossie Ardiles

How can you attempt to diss the previous administration when they are the ones who set the transparency ball rolling? The fact that Burrell has taken it a step further is laudable, but the attempt to diss is uncalled for and baseless.

Yes, you have recognized that Burrell did not do it in the past (certainly not regularly) but no need to throw any other group into the gutter. If you don't know what is happening, or what has been happening, ASK! Or continue to take what you read on the internet as the whole truth and nothing but.

And I was not expecting anything!? Please don't speak for me, assasin.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is this a diss to any admin? get a grip man. I said it is better than any we have gotten in the past, did I say they didn't do any in the pass? How is this a diss when you saying the same thing?

Comment

Okay. Time for me to go. We are definitely not saying the same thing, and if you can't see that, then...

"I said it is better than any we have gotten in the past" - that's not what you said, assasin. Your words are right there in your post!

Carry on!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

those are my words

Comment

Working...
                        X