The level of incompetence in our football is amazing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The level of incompetence in our football is amazing

When the Observer informed Porter that Barriga revealed that he (Porter) had told him that his last day is December 17, Porter replied: "That don't mean fire," and asked what is the definition of fire under Barriga's contract?

Barriga booted?
    W'house's Peruvian coach said to be given 30 days' noticeBy Howard Walker Observer writer walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Waterhouse Football Club is in the process of sacking head coach, Danilo Barriga, the Observer has learnt, and he has been given one month's notice until December 17 to pack his bags.
    BARRIGA . if the club fires me, they pay four months

When the Observer contacted Barriga, the Peruvian said nothing has been communicated to him officially and he is still trying to make contact with the club president Peter Hibbert.

But he did say that Felix Forter, the club's general secretary, telephoned him about the bad news.

Said Barriga in his usual stuttering English: "Mr Porter told me the last day for me is December 17. He called me Saturday in the morning and said to me, 'I have bad news for you'. I said why? 'The club fire you'. He said I have 30 days. I asked about my ticket to Miami. He said ticket is ready.
    "They give me no reason, nothing at all. Friday no try (call) me, Today no try me. I try everybody, nobody don't try me. This is terrible. I don't know what is happening, no communication. I am waiting for the president to hear what he is saying."

But Porter said he had not spoken to Barriga and referred the Observer to Ainsley Smiekle, the club's treasurer. "I told the coach no such thing. I am on vacation studying for exams."

Smiekle, when contacted, said: "This is news to me, I am not aware of it."
    However, when the Observer contacted Barriga again for confirmation on whether Porter had spoken to him, he gave a belly laugh which must have been in proper English and reiterated what he said Porter had told him on Saturday. "This is unbelievable," he said.

When the Observer informed Porter that Barriga revealed that he (Porter) had told him that his last day is December 17, Porter replied: "That don't mean fire," and asked what is the definition of fire under Barriga's contract?

Club president, Peter Hibbert, who said he had been engrossed in a church convention all of last week, told the Observer that all he knew was that the club was discussing the matter.

"There has been talks among the executive about the performance of the coach and whatever. In terms of a decision, I asked that information be provided to me. You have to make changes if you want different results. I know the coach might have some concerns and the club also. It is a long season and mistakes will be made, but it is how you deal with it after," said Hibbert.

Waterhouse are currently eighth in the 12-team league on nine points with two wins, three draws and three defeats.
    Barriga, who coached at Seba United last season, said he has contacted his attorney because no one has given him a clear reason why his three-year contract will be cut short.

"I am looking for one lawyer for communication with Waterhouse. They don't respect my contract. If the club fires me, they pay four months. Contract expires three years," he explained.
    "I know I am doing a good job, but it is difficult for me to prepare the team right now," noted Barriga.

Coulda mean kill!

Comment

Working...
    X