Response to OJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Response to OJ

OJ re the mistake you made re the removal of the turf at Catherine Hall that was made into a political football by Clive Mullings.

First things first the Catherine Hall stadium's turf is grown on a bed of some synthetic material along with sand and dirt etc and grown on pallets that can be taken up and replanted elsewhere and if dont properly the grass grows back in little or no time.

The field at the national stadium was tough and even our own overseas based players used to complain about playing on it.

At the time the Cathertine Hall field was not being used by anyone and thus taking the sod from there to Kingston was in fact helping both facilities.

First it provided a much better surface for out football teams to play on and also it helped the Catherine Hall as the inactivity there caused the grass roots to growth thicker and choke the growth.

I keep asking those who were protesting the removal, that aside from the silly country vs town arguments that are stale, who was being denied the use of the field when the sod was removed???
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

one question, why wasn't the field been used?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I dont disagree with your take on it, but more so why is it that they have let the ntl stadium field turn into cow pasture. Were they not gloating that it was one of the best surfaces.

Comment

The field needs to be maintained and to think just giving it water is enough could not be further from the truth. Even if it rains daily, that would not be enough to ensure proper growth of the grass.

You have to fertilize, seed and water to keep the grass growing healthy. It would be good if they areate the soil occasionally too.

I was talking to a guy who worked as a grounds keeper at Kauffnam Stadium, home of the Kansas City Royals. I asked how they were always able to keep their outfield in such immaculate condition. He told me it was a full time job of maintenance.

Many people would think you do not need to seed fields as grass grows seeds naturally. Well, because we constantly cut these grass, they do not get the chance to grow seeds and regenerate. Constantly cutting grass prevents it from developing seeds which is a crusial piece of the regeneration process. This makes seeding a necessary part of keeping the grass looking healthy.

Anyway, grounds upkeep should not be taken for granted. It is full time work or if you let it go, it will turn into a bed of dead grass as we saw with the national Stadium on Sunday.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I did not see the game and have no comment on the national stadium but you also need to take in mind we have had a lot of rain in the last two months and longer and all the fields in the island have taken a battering
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

The field was not used then because the facility was not even half way completed, they did the field and the trcak and the fencing.

The field has since been heavily used but the construction has re started.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

True, its the little thigns we dont do sometimes. We want millions to fix roads but no one understand let clear the drain and the gully and we will spend less. We want fields but we dont want to areate seed ect. We cant say for sure that Stadium was over used as we were playing football so there is no reason why the field is bumpy (means it needs rolling) or yellow which would mean its proably over fertilised as if you did nothing else with all this rain it should be good.

Comment

no excuse for the poor condition of the field with all that rain... fertilizer, lime, grass seed, aeration, roll and cut... thats all thats needed... even a novice like me know that...
                'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

yuh need a proper drainage and foundation too...if yuh just throw grass pon di ground that is not good enuff!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yeah but the feel was pristine the last i saw it. How did it get so bad so fast considering its not heavily used?

Comment

Well, they had some primary school match on it the other day.

Seriously, how does any prep or primary school competition get to be played on the National Stadium field?!!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                      X