• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sass: Your boy sings for his supper! Crouch: Put the burden

...on me!

(AFP) Monday 19 November 2007

(AFP)
    Peter Crouch insists he can cope with the pressure of leading England's attack in their decisive UEFA EURO 2008 showdown against Croatia.
    Injuries to Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney have left Crouch to shoulder the responsibility of providing Steve McClaren's team with a cutting edge at Wembley on Wednesday.

England need a point to qualify for next year's finals and the Liverpool striker is confident he can fill the void left by Owen and Rooney's absences.

Crouch, who scored the winner in Friday's friendly win against Austria, has never established himself as a regular in the England team despite an impressive record of 13 goals in 23 appearances for his country.

The giant forward feels he has always had more to prove than other players but he is relishing the chance to underline his quality in such a vital game.

"I seem to have always had to prove myself," Crouch said. "Every time you go on the pitch you have to prove yourself to stay in the team and win matches. Of course I relish the responsibility. I've done it before in big games with Liverpool and England. "

"I've always managed to cope and I'm sure I'll do it again if I'm selected on Wednesday," he added.

That winner in Vienna has given Crouch a burst of confidence at just the right time after being left out for long spells this season by Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez.

"It meant a lot to me personally to score against Austria," he said. "Going into a massive game like Wednesday having scored the only goal, I can take massive confidence from that."

McClaren is considering a 4-5-1 formation for the Croatia game with Crouch in a lone role up front.

"I've done it before, for club and for England as well," Crouch said. "I'm certain we've got enough attacking players in the side who can join up with you and link play as well so that shouldn't be a problem if that's the case."

If the England coach does use that tactic if should release Frank Lampard to get forward and support Crouch.

Lampard has become a target for a minority of England fans, who have booed him during his recent international appearances.

But he has been in superb form since returning from injury and Joe Cole, his Chelsea and England colleague, is adamant the midfielder is showing why he is so important for club and country.

"With Frank people don't realise how good he is until he isn't there. We miss him when he's not playing," Cole said. "He's vital for us because of his experience and stature as a player. He's given so many great performances. It's great to have him back. He's come back on another level."

Cole believes Lampard's time out of action has allowed him to return with renewed vigour.

"Frank has done so well to keep fit and play every match for the last few years," he said. "But when you come back from injury you often find you've got your freshness back."

Cole has no doubts that David Beckham is still worth his place in the team even though the LA Galaxy midfielder is patently short of full fitness after his injury problems.

"I thought he played well against Austria. He's experienced and his dead balls are so important for us," Cole said. "He's another one whose stature makes him important. It's great to have him playing."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

...and watch him do it! General!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

All the big forward England a boast, and nuh want give Crouchy nuh play them nuh score as much goal as him over the las year inna the England colours.

This youth get no respect, a him save them inna the friendly last week.

Watch the space yah now only that the "big balla" them nuh want give him the ball till when them team down and then them a boot it up to him.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

hope dem memba when a ongle mi and sass a tout crouch as the real deal...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
        X