X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pekerman Interview

Developing the Game

Pekerman: It still hurts

Jose Pekerman, former coach of Argentina, speaks exclusively to FIFA.com about his time in charge of the Albiceleste.

(AFP) Juan Mabromata

(FIFA.com) 18 Sep 2006

The recently concluded FIFA/UEFA Coaches Symposium in Berlin, which brought together many of the most senior tacticians in today's game, served a number of purposes. It provided a forum for debate on many aspects of this summer's FIFA World Cup™, and gave planet football the opportunity to catch up with several coaches who have been out of the limelight since Italy lifted that coveted trophy in July.

One such person is Jose Pekerman. The Argentine has eschewed almost all media attention since stepping down as Albiceleste coach in the wake of his side's quarter-final elimination at Germany 2006.

Two months on and Pekerman found himself back in Germany, where he made time to talk to FIFA.com about this summer's tournament, the subsequent criticism levelled at him and his immediate future, on which subject he says: "I'm not closing any doors."

FIFA.com Pekerman, it is two months now since you stepped down as Argentina coach. How are you feeling?

Jose Pekerman: Right now, I'm just taking the opportunity to rest after the exhausting period I went through. With an event of the magnitude of the World Cup, every coach experiences major stress and fatigue. Afterwards, it's the ideal time to analyse and draw conclusions about what happened, and enjoy some time with one's family.

And relax a bit at the same time…

It's always a good idea to spend time with the family and make up for the times when our job keeps us away. But, of course, professionally speaking one is also waiting for offers to go back to work.

There was talk recently about you being a candidate for the job of Colombia coach. Was there any substance to those rumours?

To be honest, I haven't spoken to anyone directly, although I have heard rumours and comments through the media. I'll wait and see what comes up, and only then decide what direction I want to take.

What would be your ideal position - a return to youth football perhaps?

No, I moved on from youth football a long time ago. Once you've coached a senior team at a World Cup, it's very hard to go back to that level. The truth is that no one has offered anything to me yet. If something comes up, then we'll see.

Jose Pekerman speaks to Javier Mascherano and Juan Pablo Sorin during the game against Mexico. The Argentina squad were said to be distraught at the news of Pekerman's resignation.

(AFP)

Daniel Garcia

What type of offer would tempt you, and would you consider a spell in Argentine football?

As I've said on numerous occasions, I haven't ruled anything out or closed any doors. I've always sought to work where I feel I can bring something to the people who hire me. For example, take my spell in Spain (where he was Director of Football at Leganes). On that occasion, the fact that the club and I were in agreement on the kind of project that needed to be implemented was of paramount importance. I've always paid more attention to the nature of the project than the name of the club.

Could you tell us a little about the recent FIFA/UEFA Coaches Symposium in Berlin and your thoughts on the event?

It was very interesting to see an event of this type being organised so soon after the end of he World Cup. In football, given the dynamics of the world game, it's important that we act immediately to improve every aspect, especially as everything gets forgotten so quickly.

You have to recognise it is a good thing when football's governing body is willing to listen to what coaches have to say as it moves forward. The coaches are often the scapegoats, but we experience a lot to get to where we are; things many people aren't really aware of. Now, a channel of communication has been opened up for technical directors and coaches to pass on the benefits of their vast experienc

BLACK LIVES MATTER
Working...
X