• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bennett poised to move to ‘greener pastures’

Bennett poised to move to ‘greener pastures’

BY PAUL A REID Observer writer
    reidp@jamaicaobserver.com

FALMOUTH, Trelawny — Reggae Boy Teofore Bennett is poised for a move away from Swedish club Osters IF after playing there for a season-and-a-half and is headed for “greener pastures.”
    While refusing to say on record where he is headed, the 27-year-old Bennett said the move is a “dream come true”, describing it as “a real accomplishment” and something he has been working towards for a long time.
    Bennett, who watched his alma mater Cedric Titus lose 1-0 to St James High at Elliston Wakeland Centre in a daCosta Cup Inter-Zone game on Thursday, said negotiations should be completed within the next two weeks or so, and by then, he would be in a position to say which club he would be going to when the next FIFA transfer window opens.
    The former Village United striker who is sporting a new Rastafarian dreadlock and a full beard look, was hardly able to contain his excitement at the prospects of the move.
    After a decent first season at Osters where he got off to a fast start, scoring four times in his first six games after his move from United Soccer Leagues (USL) second division Harrisburg City Islanders, he described the past season as “an OK one.”
    The team struggled this season and was relegated to the second division after earning promotion for the 200-7-08 season.
    Bennett, who scored for Jamaica against the United States in South Carolina last year and last played for the national team against Peru at the National Stadium last November, scored just seven goals this past season, but said he played mostly from midfield and was involved in setting up most of the goals for this team-mates.
    He also scored four times for Osters in the Cup where they advanced to the semi-finals.
    Bennett, who said he has been in the island for the past week-and-a-half after playing his final game of the Swedish season for Osters on October 27, said he is keeping fit by training with Village United.
    Asked whether he was disappointed by not being called up by interim national coach Theodore Whitmore for Jamaica’s two international friendlies today and Wednesday, Bennett said no.
    “Only 18 players can be on the team at any one time and only 11 can play at any given time, but I’ll be ready whenever they call me up again,” he said.
    He said he supports the national team and coaching staff, adding he was “100 per cent fit and ready to go and always willing to represent Jamaica any time they call on me.”
    Bennett is the third Jamaican to play professional football in Sweden after national team-mates Khari Stephenson and Luton Shelton — who is now plying his trade in England.

BENNETT... impending move a dream come true

Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Nice read. I wish him all the best
    in his new adventure. Yep, he's got the speed for Europe. One thing though Sickko, I think if we count Jerry Hue then that would make 4 Jamaicans who have played in Sweden.
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Good fi him, as this will generate greater competition amongst our forwards. If him start buss up the net in Ingland, dem him fi get call up.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

>>If him start buss up the net in Ingland, dem him fi get call up.<< This guy deserves a call up more than all the others who have been called, he scored the goal against the USA in the USA mind you before they went on thier WC to germany .Came off the bench to pin back S.A in the Gold Cup.

He has scored against quality teams .This squad Tappa has assembled cannot take us past any of the top 4 in concacaf.

I see no pure strikers.Shelton has a far way to go and Fuller is a proven flop!

How on earth Bennet got overlooked is beyond me and of course Lowe?
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Here we go again...

Comment

He will get his chance. I'm sure that will happen at some point.

Comment

At first I thought England too, but him seh is not England him going, dem dont even speak English there..
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

and if you add ryan johnson that would be 5 jamaicans who have played in sweden...
                'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

You are right, Bennette should have gotten JJ spot. However, Lowe is exactly where he belongs, playing local football. Lowe's hard head and poor work ethics are the reasons he has been relegated to local football, in spite of his tremendous athletic ability. Furthermore, JFF bruk, whey Burrell ago find $US25,000 fi pay him.
                  Six days I work for my children, on the seventh day they work for me.
                  Mitty

Comment

Working...
                  X