X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England gifted lifeline by Israel

England gifted lifeline by Israel

Barda scored the goal which put Israel ahead against Russia

England earned a Euro 2008 qualifying reprieve with their fate again in their own hands after Group E rivals Russia dramatically lost 2-1 in Israel.

England are now two points ahead of Russia and need a draw against Croatia in their final qualifier on Wednesday to secure a Euro 2008 place.

Israel took the lead through Elyaniv Barda before Diniyar Bilyaletdinov levelled as Russia started to dominate.
    Russia hit the post late on before Omer Golan netted a winner for Israel.

The goal would have been the cue for celebrations from England boss Steve McClaren and his players who were relying on Israel to do them a favour.

McClaren's job would also have been in jeopardy if Russia had won but his belief that the campaign would go into the Croatia game proved correct.

There were plenty of England fans at the Ramat Gan stadium to cheer on Israel, while a strong Russian contingent were also evident to provide support for their team.

Russia started off nervously and went behind when Barda was slipped in on goal by a slide rule pass and he did the rest by dinking over on-rushing Russia keeper Vladimir Gabulov.

Israel had chance to add to their lead before Russia finally settled and grabbed an equaliser after the break when Bilyaletdinov fired after an Andrei Arshavin cross.

Russia grew in confidence and threat as the game progressed with England nerves jangling, especially when Sychez struck the outside of the post with a long range shot.

But the visitors were caught out on the break when Golan raced through to score.

The result meant that group leaders Croatia, who lost 2-0 in Macedonia, have qualified for Euro 2008.

That result also gives England the prospect of overtaking Croatia to finish top of the group depending on next Wednesday's scoreline.

But, while England were celebrating, Scotland suffered heartbreak as they were eliminated after a 2-1 loss to Italy, whose win secured their qualification from Group B along with France.

Northern Ireland kept up their hopes of qualifying with a 2-1 win over Denmark in Group F and they now need to beat Spain, who earned a win against Sweden, to be in with a chance of booking a Euro 2008 spot.

But they also have to hope Sweden lose to Latvia to reach the finals.

Elsewhere, in Group A, Poland qualified for next year's tournament with a 2-0 victory over Belgium.

Finland came from a goal down to beat Azerbaijan 2-1 in Helsinki.

Finland dominated but went behind to a Makhmud Gurbonov goal before Mikael Forssell headed a 79th-minute equaliser and Shefki Kuqi nodded in a winner four minutes from time.

Finland are now three points adrift of Portugal, who beat Armenia, and the two countries meet next Wednesday.
    They drew 1-1 in the corresponding fixture and a win for Finland would send them through at Portugal's expense.

Turkey leapfrogged Norway into second place in Group C after a 2-1 win in Oslo.

Erik Hagen put the hosts ahead from close range before Belezoglu Emre levelled with a long-range shot with Kahveci Nihat then putting the visitors ahead.
    Turkey now lead Norway by a point and host Bosnia-Herzegovina, while Norway travel to Malta on Wednesday.
    Holland also secured qualification after a 1-0 win over

Luxembourg in Group G so Bulgaria's earlier 1-0 victory over Romania proved in vain.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

McClaren upbeat over Croatia tie

McClaren wants the fans to show their support for England

England boss Steve McClaren says he is confident his side will get the result they need against Croatia at Wembley on Wednesday to qualify for Euro 2008.

England need the minimum of a draw to ensure a place in next summer's finals after Israel did them a favour by beating Russia on Saturday.

"It will be a difficult game," McClaren told the Football Association website.
    "But I'm convinced we will get the result we need and will qualify for Austria and Switzerland."

England lead Russia, who play Andorra next Wednesday, by two points in Group E going into the final round of qualifiers.
    Croatia have secured their Euro 2008 spot thanks to Israel's 2-1 win over Russia but they lost in Macedonia and could now be overtaken at the top of the group if England win by a two goal margin.

McClaren's future would have been considered under threat if Russia had beaten Israel and England had been all-but eliminated going into the Croatia tie.

The reception from fans at Wembley if that had been the case was a matter of debate with the threat of supporters taking out their frustration by booing McClaren.

But the scenario has a different look to it now and McClaren issued a rallying call to fans for the sell-out game against Croatia at Wembley.

"It's back in our own hands now and we really need the whole country to get right behind the team over the next few days," said McClaren.

"We've got to get the result on the pitch on Wednesday, while we really want the fans to generate another really big Wembley atmosphere - just as they did against Russia."
    McClaren's delight at Israel's performance in Tel Aviv was also plainly evident as he praised them for their professional performance.

I know we've made things difficult for ourselves by dropping points early on in the group

England boss Steve McClaren

"What a night! Absolutely fantastic news for us all," he said.

"I'd like to pay tribute to Israel for the professional way they went about the job - they showed what a proud nation they are and deserve a lot of praise for their efforts.

"I've said several times over the past few weeks that the campaign was never over until it was over and that I always believed it would come down to the Croatia match - thankfully it has.

"I watched the match with my family at the team hotel in Watford.

"All the coaching staff are also in the hotel, and as you can imagine we're all delighted qualification is back in our own hands.

"However, what's really important now is that we get the job done on Wednesday. "I know we've made things difficult for ourselves by dropping points early on in the group, but we have played a lot better during the second half of the campaign and I've got every confidence the players will do the job at Wembley."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X