Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA defeats South Africa in friendly

United States edges South Africa in friendly

Steve Cherundolo scored in the first half, lifting the United States to a 1-0 victory over South Africa on Saturday.

The Hannover 96 defender blasted home after 26 minutes as Bob Bradley's team ended the year on high note, winning for the 12th time in 18 matches in 2007.

The game also marked impressive performances from Freddy Adu - in his first international start for the U.S. - and Maurice Edu in just his second game for his country.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Impressive game considering a young inexperienced team playing away and at high altitude.

(I wonder what the Freddy Adu and US Soccer team nay-sayers are preparing to say now).
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Freddy who ?
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
        United States edges South Africa in friendly

Steve Cherundolo scored in the first half, lifting the United States to a 1-0 victory over South Africa on Saturday.

The Hannover 96 defender blasted home after 26 minutes as Bob Bradley's team ended the year on high note, winning for the 12th time in 18 matches in 2007.

The game also marked impressive performances from Freddy Adu - in his first international start for the U.S. - and Maurice Edu in just his second game for his country.

(continue)
        Have it recorded. have not watched it yet...but, heard the match was crap!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
          Impressive game considering a young inexperienced team playing away and at high altitude.

(I wonder what the Freddy Adu and US Soccer team nay-sayers are preparing to say now).
          Man HL I am still scratching my head at this one.

South Africa better get their crap together or else they will be the first host nation to bust out of the first round of a World Cup. I thought 1-1 would have been a fair scoreline. The US were the better team in the first half and SA the better in the 2nd. I was shocked to see that SA outshot the US 12-3 yet the US created more outright scoring opportunities. Bizzare man.

Again I have to say, outside of Donovan, Cherundolo has been the US' best player over the last 5-6 years. Glad to see him score. The keeper had no chance. I thought Bradleys' subs of Cherundolo (off injured) and Bocanegra at the start of the 2nd half really hurt the US. That gave the S. Africans the greenlight to come down the US's right side without worrying about defending. That problem was not remedied until late in the game when Bradley brought in Klisjtan (sp) which kept them honest.

Feilhaber is wasted out wide if you ask me. He simply is not an outside mid. Bradley should either play him in the certain of the park or not play him at all. He does not bring anything to the game out there. Your outside mids have to be difference makers plain and simple.

Also the experiment of playing Dempsey as a center forward needs to be scratched permanently. He is not a target forward period. Let it go Bob....let it go. He does his best work in mid-field.

I thought Howard and Guzan were solid. Neither missed a beat. Interesting to see Guzan start time wasting with about 18 minutes left in the game. I call it time wasting but I really think what he was doing was trying to break SA's rythm (sp?). He was desperate to do anything to slow them down. Actually to the US' credit they managed the last 15 minutes of the game as well as I have ever seen a US team do. They completely killed off the game. Parreira's face was priceless as Guzan would dribble the ball to the corner of the penalty box.

Would have been nice to have seen Bornsteing start over Pearce. He gives much more on the attacking end but I understand when you are the away team you're looking to give as few a opportunities as possible.

Was I the only one that noticed the ball kept getting stuck on the pitch? Not sure if the grass was too high or if it was the type of ball they were using but every pass made seemed to slow down dramatically before it reached its intended target. Both teams had goal scoring opportunities messed up by this.

Clint Dempsey and Freddy Adu ****************ed away two opportunities to end the match early. S.A should have had a penalty kick on the hand ball. McCarthy should have been yellow carded for diving in the box. He reached out and grabbed Edu and then threw himself on the ground when he could have easily played the ball. The guy who tackled Chrerundolo at the end of the first half should have been yellow carded.

Speaking of Edu he had another strong game. The US has found a player in this kid. (Dane Richards still was robbed OJ)

Suprisingly Onyewu actually had a good game. First time in a long time for him.

The little left back that came on in the 2nd half for SA should have started. That guy was a terror the entire 2nd half. I have to give alot of credit to the entire SA midfield. That 2nd half they dominated the middle third of the field. Altitude had something to do with it but it was more so the urgency showed by Bafana Bafana that had the US struggling.

Bringing on Altidore relieved some pressure for the US as he knocked down a number of balls for his mid-fielders to run onto. He kind of looked like Brian McBride there. He did not get to see the ball much so I can't really judge him.

It would have been intersting to see how it would have panned out if Eddie Johnson and Landon Donovan had made the trip.

A very good year for Bob Bradley. He has to be happy with what he's been able to accomplish. Glad to see him willing to travel and face tough teams in their back yards. This was something that Bruce Arena always avoided.

I have to admit the US and Mexico are starting to seperate themselves from the pack in a big way. I am glad to see Tappa call in a strong team for our two friendlies today and wed. We need to have a team chock full of our best professionals to compete in concacaf this time around. - T.K.
          Last edited by T.K.; November 18, 2007, 05:32 AM.
          No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Yeah, it was crap choice of a game for Altidore to make his debut in. We were just hanging onto the lead and making him chase a few hopeless and imprecise long passes.

Onyewu did play well. You're right that Feilhaber is wasted out wide. I guess it's just part of our endless search for a decent right winger.

And Edu had a solid game.
            "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
            - Xavi

Comment

Working...
            X