X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observer EDITORIAL: Waiting to exhale

Waiting to exhale

Saturday, November 17, 2007

The newly elected, or should we say re-elected, president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Captain Horace Burrell, is often labelled as "visionary" for his initiatives during his previous tenure as JFF head, which led to Jamaica's historic qualification to the FIFA World Cup of Football in 1998.

What is also not in question is his instinctive expertise as marketeer, aided by the kind of courage and bravado that allows him to make moves which occasionally leave the rest of us in awe.

Of course such bravado can also lead to error and mishap.
    The jury is watching and chances are won't arrive at a conclusion until mid-week following Jamaica's two friendly internationals against Central American rivals El Salvador and Guatemala at the National Stadium in Kingston, assuming that that is enough time to come to any conclusion.

But we can't help but admire the creativity and athleticism of mind that triggered the decision by the Captain and his administrative team to appoint Mr Theodore Whitmore as interim coach of Jamaica's football, pending the arrival of yet another overseas expert to replace the ousted Mr Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic.

Truth is, metaphorically speaking, some of us are waiting still to exhale following our sharp, collective intake of breath when news broke of Mr Whitmore's appointment.

For it would have been easy and straightforward for Captain Burrell to ignore Mr Whitmore. After all, despite his iconic standing in Jamaica's football, Mr Whitmore has no experience or for that matter any coaching credentials even taking into account his recent relative success at premier league club Seba.

But had Captain Burrell done the expected and gone for one or other of the 'experienced, accredited' local coaches available to him, he would not have captured anyone's imagination.

The Captain's gamble is that Mr Whitmore's appointment will provide a much-needed spark. That it will help to energise the nation as we prepare for next year's start to the 'Back to Africa' campaign, which hopefully will end with Jamaica's qualification for the FIFA World Cup in South Africa in 2010.

For make no mistake about it, Mr Whitmore is among Jamaica's most important and admired footballers ever. He scored the goal as Jamaica defeated Suriname 1-0 in Paramaibo at the very start of the historic Road to France campaign.

And as the dream run came to an end at the World Cup in 1998, Mr Whitmore scored both goals as the Reggae Boyz defeated Japan 2-1.

More than that, Mr Whitmore was the main inspiration for Jamaican creativity throughout that World Cup campaign. He was the midfield architect, the wizard, the talisman that lifted his team.

All of that would have been at the back of Captain Burrell's mind as he made his decision.

Even as we await with bated breath the jury's verdict, we wish Mr Whitmore well, knowing, of course, that it is teamwork above all else, that wins matches.
    Last edited by Karl; November 17, 2007, 09:54 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

BOYZ OR BOYS?

By Ainsley Walters, Freelance Writer

JAMAICA's 2010 World Cup ambitions will be under scrutiny tomorrow, starting at 6:00 p.m. at 'The Office', where the Reggae Boyz, now guided by World Cup hero, Theodore Whitmore, face old rivals El Salvador in an acid test ahead for the new Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) administration.

Captain Horace Burrell, the man who orchestrated Jamaica's historic qualification for World Cup 1998 in France, returned with a vengeance last week to boot Crenston Boxhill from the JFF presidency before firing celebrated Serbian coach, Bora Milutinovic.

Burrell installed former midfield maestro, Theodore Whitmore, as interim coach and immediately announced two friendly internationals, tomorrow's match-up against El Salvador and Wednesday's showdown with Guatemala, revving up memories of the 'Road to France' campaign with Brazilian coach René Simoes, who is said to be packed and awaiting the next flight to Jamaica.

In addition to putting Whitmore in charge, with veteran coach Bradley Stewart looking over his shoulders, the new JFF administration has summoned its overseas-based players from every nook and cranny of the planet, a direct contrast to the Boxhill regime, which experimented with local-based players under varying coaches to the point where Jamaica's FIFA rankings hit a rock-bottom 103 in the latest standings.

However, whereas the move has been welcomed by fans, questions are being raised about the selection of defenders Ian 'Pepe' Goodison, who captains League One Tranmere Rovers, and Toronto FC's Tyrone 'Granny' Marshall, who were discarded by the previous administration for a new generation of players.

Horace Reid, who is back as the hard-nosed JFF general secretary, after experiencing glory with Burrell in 1998, dismissed, in no uncertain manner, critics doubting the veterans' ability.

" I am not sure if the questions make sense," said Reid, responding to claims that Goodison's recall, in particular, was a publicity stunt to draw fans to the games.
    " If these players are performing at the highest levels for their clubs, what is there to disqualify them from representing their country?" he asked
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Marshall glad to be back

LeVaughn Flynn -Tyrone Marshall (left) tackles Oneil Thompson during a training session on Thursday at the National Stadium in preparation for their friendly against El Salvador tomorrow, at the same venue.

By Robert Bailey, Freelance
      When the Reggae Boyz take the field tomorrow in their friendly international against El Salvador inside the National Stadium, which is affectionately called 'The Office', it will not only be a joy for many die-hard fans but also for central defender Tyrone Marshall.

Marshall, who last played for the national team last year in a home game against Peru, when the Reggae Boyz were held to a 1-1 draw, said he was delighted to be back in the national team.

"It feels good to be back," said Marshall. "The last time I played was last year around this time against Peru and so it is long overdue and I am very happy again to be back at 'The Office'," added the 32-year-old who plays for Toronto FC in the U.S. Major League Soccer (MLS).

Marshall noted that while away from the national team he has been watching Jamaica's downward spiral on the world ranking, but is prepared to do whatever it takes to put the team back to where it once was.

good decision

He also added that he fully supported the Jamaica Football Federation's (JFF) choice of appointing Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore as interim head coach of the Reggae Boyz.

"I think it's a good decision because he was a professional player and he obviously knows what it takes to prepare a team over a period of time," he said.

"I really respect him and I also look up to him and hopefully we can go out there and put on a good showing for him. I think we have a good bunch of guys here who are going to go out there and perform to the best of their ability," he added.

Marshall, who was traded by the Los Angeles Galaxy to Toronto at the beginning of the MLS season, also noted he has been enjoying his football after the trade.

"It is going good for me over there in Toronto. I think it's a blessing because sometimes you need a change to get that spark in you and I am happy for it and I can't wait to get back and get going again because we have a very good side over there," he said.

Marshall was also pleased with his personal performance. "This year was a very good year for me because I wasn't injured that much this season and I think that I am getting better because I have been taking good care of my body," he pointed out.

Comment

VOXPOP
        published: Saturday | November 17, 2007

From left, Boothe, Stephens, Davidson, Hamilton, Meikle and Nairne.

Question: Are you planning to watch any of Reggae Boyz's friendly internationals next week?

Ruel Boothe: Yes, I plan to do so because they have a new president now. I think that they will come together to put on a good showing for the fans.

Janice Stephens Yes, because 'Tappa' is coaching the team now and I would love to be a part it. I am also a fan of Ricardo Gardner and I heard that he would be here for these games.

Staunton Davidson No, because this team isn't ready yet. They need to build and gel together before playing big matches. These games are also sudden right now.

Norman Hamilton Yes, I am planning to go to the El Salvador game on Sunday. I would also like to see how the local players blend in with the overseas-based players and how the team can knock the ball around together.

Lancet Meikle Yes, because it's a good while now I haven't seen the Reggae Boyz and I hope that they will improve with the playing of this game.

Cornel Nairne Yes, I will go to all of Jamaica's matches becauseof the new administration. It is this administration that took us to the last World Cup in France. I would like for them to go back for René Simoes.

Comment

Corporate jamaica should start supporting netball teams and athletics team because they are performing better with way less financial and spectator support. J.f.f is wasting corporate jamaica money for the result they are producing. Our new footballers are spoiled brats. Too much salary for less effort.

We still don't have a steady midfield general and a good left back defender.

Good luck tomorrow

Comment

Working...
          X