X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sky's the limit for Delmar Phillips

Sky's the limit for 'Peelhead'

LeVaughn Flynn, Staff Reporter
    Demar Phillips (centre) participates in a training session at the National Stadium yesterday with teammates Sean Fraser (second left), Oneil Thompson (second right) and Wolry Wolfe, as trainer Sean Samuels looks on. - Levaughn Flynn

Stoke, England is a long way from Yorke district in St. Thomas and along the journey Demar 'Peelhead' Phillips' football career has included a Premier League title with Waterhouse, the right to call himself a Reggae Boy and the pinnacle so far, a professional contract with English Championship club Stoke City.

Now that his appetite has been whetted, the 24-year-old, who displays his skills at left back or left flank, has realised the endless possibilities.

Phillips had long won the hearts of Waterhouse loyalists playing in the National Premier League with his pace, passing and game savvy, but the nation was really exposed to his abilities over the past 18 months when he took full advantage of being selected to the national senior team.

PIN-POINT CROSSES
    His performance in those games, particularly against Chile on June 6 when he consistently fed the forwards with pin-point crosses into the area, won him a contract in England, which in turn keeps him competitive for a spot on the World Cup team which begins their campaign next February.

"I definitely (want to solidify myself in the team) so that means I have to go out there and train hard," said Phillips shortly after lagging off the field following a training session at the National Stadium yesterday.

"I have to do more than what is expected, I have to push myself because I really want to be in the World Cup team," added the former Seaforth High student.

Phillips had arrived less than 24 hours in the island from England and he admitted that he was feeling the effects of the nine-hour flight, plus the two training sessions yesterday. What will keep him going, though, is that valuable spot on the national team and a starting position at Stoke City.

After sitting out games against Leicester City, Sheffield Wednesday Crystal Palace and Scunthorpe United, Phillips made his first team debut on Saturday in a 1-0 loss to Sheffield United, in which he came on as a 78th minute substitute.

It was a valuable 12 minutes which Phillips believes signalled what was to come.

"I just went out there with confidence and showed the coach what I can do and after the game he told me he was pleased with the performance," noted Phillips, whose club is currently ninth and 13 points behind leaders Watford.

"I went out there and added something to the team. In the last 15 minutes, Sheffield was on there back foot and I went out there and won three corners in the space of 12 minutes, so that was good."
    Under Velibor Milutinovic, the recently sacked national coach who went around the island recruiting local talent, Phillips got the platform to establish himself.

"He contributed a lot because he gave me the chance and I took that chance and I did well," said Phillips of Bora's impact on his career.

MOTIVATING COACH
    Phillips said his new tutor, Stoke coach Tony Pulis, is just as effective in motivating him.

"Me and the coach talk a lot and he pushes me a lot. He encourages me to go in the gym so right now I'm in the gym everyday. He said I have to put on some body and that is good because with the size of the guys there I have to keep up with them," said the diminutive player who is listed at 5'6" and 140 pounds.

Over the next three years, Phillips will call the town of Stoke home after signing a three -year deal at the end of August. No fee was disclosed, but it represents one of those significant milestones in his football career.

"Compared to where I'm coming from, I'm in a good position in my life right now, but I'm not comfortable; I want more," he stressed.
    "I've really come far in my life, but the sky's the limit."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

is he a direct threat to bibi ?
    It would be good to be there when da gates of Zion are closed ......... Chalice

Comment

BIBI at LB
      Phillips at LM

Comment

How many more Demar Phillips are out there? (25 Adu's in Jamaica)

How many youths out there like Shatta who just a ask fi "one chance" just one chance fi buss. How much youths out deh just a ask fi "one mic" like Nas?

We need those players to push the complacent national team players

Nothing like competition to stoke a player's fire. Can someone tell me of one industry that thrives without competition?

Did that person say our mobile industry? waait hold on HL you say something? What about you too Mosiah? Sickko mi caaaan hear from you.

A full time we all stop form the fool and realise that we can't continue doing things the way we have been doing it.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different result(that includes just talking)

So sickko you say the right thing come Jamaica come do mi thing and leave cali and come east fi inna the midst of things.

Atlanta to North Carolina corridor is the new renassaince area so mi see it clear.

You mean to tell me that with Mosiah and Sickko round the JFF dem we can't get no video of a training session? or a video interview?

Its like man and man a bar off access to people so that a dem alone can do interview. A man would pop down everything fi selfish game when it would be easier for EVERYONE to have access and everyone eat.

If only they listened to reggae they would know that
        "You nah go mek it if you badmind"

Or better yet read Proverbs

Righteousness shall exalt a nation

The time is short for qualifications and the only way wi ago mek it is if we work within a system both on and off the field

A system where everyone knows their role, and if you think a lie just look at the level of the dutch coach Russia?

Its the SYSTEM We have the players but we don't have the SYSTEM. We don't have ORDER and so we never mek it as each man too busy a focus pon holding back or pulling back the next man fi be the big man

Boasy slaves the lot of them!

Any man who wants to be first have to be last, and SERVANT of all
        (taken from the Book of Life)

Chief Servant to the streets because we no fraid a people

Comment

Working...
        X