• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big up Buff Bay, Georges United a gwaan

St Georges overrun Sporting Central
    published: Friday | November 16, 2007

Gareth Davis, Gleaner Writer
    SAINT GEORGES showed off their fighting spirit on Wednesday as they earned a come-from-behind 3-1 victory over Sporting Central Academy in their Cash Plus Premier League (CPPL) match at Lunch Park in Buff Bay.

In wet and slippery conditions, the first half was dominated by Sporting Central and they duly took the lead in the eighth minute when the dangerous and unmarked Onike Ford latched on to a cross and fired past St. Georges' custodian, Ralston Robinson.

Sporting continued to dominate the game through Ford, Linval Lewis, Karl Wiggan, and Hughan Gray, who launched repeated attacks at the St. Georges' defence.

But spurred on by their supporters, St. Georges started to counter-attack and were rewarded in the 24th minute when Danian Reid and Damion Harwood combined their passes and found Kanute Harrison, who beat goalkeeper Leighton Murray from close range.

Attacks
    Both teams launched series of attacks but were kept at bay by good defending and goalkeeping. The first half ended 1-1.

Upon resumption, St. Georges surged ahead in the 48th minute after Dale Wallace fired a powerful 30-yard free kick which proved too much for Murray to handle. Before the celebrations could die down, St. Georges went further ahead after Denroy Dennis capitalised on a defender's error, controlled and beat two other defenders - firing pass Murray in the 51st minute. St. Georges continued to dominate through Omar Brisset, Reid, Dennis and Dwane Holmes, and should have scored a fourth goal when Harwood fired over the crossbar. In another CPPL game Wednesday, western Jamaica sides Reno and Village United fought out a 0-0 stalemate at the Elliston Wakeland Sports Complex in Falmouth.
    Last edited by Karl; November 17, 2007, 10:41 AM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

All that is really needed now is for some Portlander (Dukie, Colour, MadmeX, Assasin, et al) to approach Mr Michael Lee-Chin with the of gaining funds to fully upgrade both Lynch Park and Carder Park. I'm sure he will give it plenty consideration, given that he is from Portland.
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

to their credit St.Georges have been doing their thing for the past 5-6 years.

Last time I went there I think in 2002 they had a fence around the field and you couldn't see anything from the road. They charge a small fee and they had some seating. The community centre was still in very good condition. They may have added things since then but Lynch park is not in terrible shape. I heard there was some upgrade to carder park as well.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

King ah gwaan wid tings. Bigup mi Portland side kah yuh done know seh ah dung di road wi deh.

Comment

Working...
        X