Playing for Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing for Jamaica

What does it take to really play for Jamaica?
    This is a serious question, yet instead of treating it as such we are left with an indelible strain in the form of pure mockery.
    Is jamaican football that good that Cash Plus players are still better than a Lisbie, Euell, Burton, riding the bench of professional setting. I guess even in football we Jamaicans come across as arrogant an downright "bareface' as grannie use to sey." Riquelme please give thanks you weren't born in Jamaica, Beckham, ronaldo please if you were Jamaican ease off of the comeback trail. Adriano a bly would elude you.

People my point is this, Please I am begging each reader and poster on this site we are not as talented or as good as we think we are. No No there isn't 25 Adu's around. Professional players compete in practise and are kept on the bench because certain styles and preference by coaches dictate these happenstance. During our last qualifying game against the USA, our style of play and the choice players chosen were our achilles' heel. In my observation Tappa should have given way much earlier to Hue, Fuller should have been taken off or instructed to play pass first, hold up play for midfield support and then run off into position for an option pass receipt. With all our exploits in track an Field it amazes me how we have never utilise speed with wingers and good crosses into danger areas.
    Jamaica does need more than top class coaches, what we need is top class recruiters an someone with a style that benefit the type of players available.
    Simple soccer...ala arsenal or manu; pass run pass run support pass run support..That is how we as sprint champs should play... days of holding trying to broke three people are over"
    Our style and objective is simple, get fast, thinking players on the field, and it matters not each person's age if during practise. they are better thinkers, faster, fitter then they are the ones we should always choose...and so from now on it is not style over substance when playing for my beloved team but substance over style.
    Last edited by PeeJay; November 15, 2007, 09:31 PM.
    "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Mr. PM, I agree wid dah pos' yah! There are some things I need to address, but I will do so in a likkle while. I hafi mek a run pon di road an come back.

Soon come.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

PJ, OK I am back. Let us be fair and remember that we could no call everyone at this time. I asked why is it that Burton was not called and some folks believe he is too old and riding bench at Sheffield Wednesday.
      I think there will still be room for the likes of Lisbie, Euell, Burton, King and Nosworthy to contribute. World Cup Qualifying is going to be long.

I do not want to revisit the Tappa situation again, but you brought it up. I do agree with all you have said about Tappa and Fuller. For a game which we needed to win, I would not have started Tappa either. But CB and Laza did just that and then brought on Hue when it was too late.

We cannot forget however that it was through Fuller's efforts that our goal came about as he forced Onyewu to foul him in the box from which Andy Williams converted.

Yuh nuh PJ, I am not even going to take the position that Tappa should not have played. The fact is, CB and laza left out Hue, our most potent and on form midfielder for most of the Qualifiers. Added to that, they also had Shavar Thomas in exile too.

We should be playing our best team at all times. We had maybe our best collection of players at that time, but did not use them effectively. Laza blamed the fact that he did not know the players and CB look like he was keeping malice with certain players.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Where was Lisbie ?

If you are having problems with scoring, how is it possible that Lisbie was not even in the squad ?????!!!????!

Comment

Oh mi figet bout that. It is all making sense now, Tappa left out Hue because he is still sour over him being put out to dry for Hue to take his place.

Comment

All I can say is Oh my God

after reading your post...That reply was to myself, Your post reek in accuracy.
            Especially in the panama game. i couldn't believe it that Carl Brown sitting on the bench allow a newly install coach to tell the media that lame A$$ excuse.
            And Sikko et al didn't take the whole staff to task. I would think that would be the duty of assistants. However, I think Carl Brown wanted us to fail for what ever reason. Maybe Karl and Mosiah can enlighten us.

One of the reason why I am being vigilant is I personally do not want these repetition of bias to cloud our progress this time during qualifying.
            "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

And he left out Andy Williams because of di bad vibes between them ever since Andy did haffi play second fiddle to him when is long time Andy did want to be the centerpiece of midfield...

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                Laza blamed the fact that he did not know the players...
                That insistance by some that Laza did not know our players in the later part of that 2006 World Cup Qualifying competition always moved me to

It suggests among other things that Laza was either a moron or a very slooooooow learner!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Ja's fundamental problem is:
                  Having quality coaches at the youth level. Here the coach would emphasize technique (good first touch et al),vision and passing. I know it helps because I personally changed a player from one who couldn't kick the ball to one called a general. I first worked on juggling (means to an end) then passing, then the hardest holding the ball even when a player is very close (don't take this for granted most players have difficulty here) this leads to the player gaining confidence to dribble. Yes I as acoach encouraged dribbling, instructing the player when to release the ball to destroy a defence, also using both feet (spent hours on dead ball too).

yes after many tears and fustration with the coach; turned out they are saying 'give the genral the ball" even taught how to move in tight spaces. If Robinho et al weren't exposed to quality coaches they would not be what they are today. A good first touch is of paramount importance at the INT'L level. I watched prep school games in Ja and I see why we aren't as good as we think we are. It starts at the youth level and most of our certified coaches are fighting to coach Ja or some "big" local club team.

Comment

A di right method of coaching yout yuh have sah, Good first touch a teacha, plus close control unda pressure a worl an last but not least juggling. Surprisingly dis yah drill (Juggling) create a deft touch pan di ball in flight. Kah wi juggle ball ah yard nuff, nuff coach nuh really realize di importance. Mi wouldah seh deese as di most important aspects of yout development miself. Dem seem simple but dem very, very important and neccessary.

Comment

Working...
                    X