Why Donovan Ricketts not top Class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Donovan Ricketts not top Class?

"It has been a totally different challenge for me this season. Last season, when I was on loan at Charlton, I was having to make five or six saves a game.

"With a team like Villa this season, I am lucky to have to save one shot a game. That is why [Chelsea's] Petr Cech is probably the best 'keeper in the world because he has that one save to make and he does it.

"For me, I've had to work on different aspects of my game
    "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

"It has been a totally different challenge for me this season. Last season, when I was on loan at Charlton, I was having to make five or six saves a game.

"With a team like Villa this season, I am lucky to have to save one shot a game. That is why [Chelsea's] Petr Cech is probably the best 'keeper in the world because he has that one save to make and he does it.

And who is that quote from?

Ricketts' problem is more fundamental than making saves. While Ricketts is a good shot stopper on his day, it is the thinking part of his game which lets him down. He does not control his box very well for a keeper with his physical attributes and his handling of situations in the back which helps us to start our attack really sucks.

Frankly, I do not think that Ricketts' problmes cannot be fixed. I am kind of dissapointed that he is playing in England in a professional setting for so long and he does not seem to be improving. Moreover, with all of three leagues above the league Ricketts play in (EPL, Championship & League 1), have you ever asked why none of the 68 teams in those upper leagues come knocking down Bradford's door for him? Bradford is bearly above the drop zone for the current League 2 standings in which Ricketts plays.

I think we should push some of the local keepers over Ricketts at this time.
    Last edited by Tilla; November 15, 2007, 03:07 PM.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by PeeJay View Post

Donavan Ricketts was one of the best GK's in league one, He had six shut out to tied the league one record in the 03/04 season.

If he made the comments above I agree with him and the best of Ricketts is not far away.I still believe in him.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepsi View Post
        Donavan Ricketts was one of the best GK's in league one, He had six shut out to tied the league one record in the 03/04 season.
        Shutouts on their own don't really tell you much about the keeper, since the result could have come down to a strong defense rather than good goalkeeping.
        "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
        - Xavi

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
          Shutouts on their own don't really tell you much about the keeper, since the result could have come down to a strong defense rather than good goalkeeping.

Zeppo ...use to follow Bradford when todd was there.The BBC matchcast VIA Internet will highlight Ricketts Brilliant saves.Yes the defence was good with stewpeas but then Danavan made an average 3.5 saves per game.am saying that the best years for a Goalie in his mid thirties, and when Ricketts becomes apart of the National SQuad by 2010 he will have gathered alot.

Comment

I see the Marijuana wear off.

Comment

JB....yu see this why mi rate yu to rhatid.....You sir are a scholar and a gentleman...............When Donovan post these clean sheets come next week we ago CLEAN out de forum of the unbelievers seen......Hold on wait a second....if JB believes one way and everybody else believes the other way and I side with JB and JB's mental faculties aren't exactly up to par then that must make me a mad man to bloo..........nah...... - T.K.
              No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                I see the Marijuana wear off.
                yu ago get me in trouble,mi nuh smoke weed!.

Comment

I don't think JB lights up after Miday so you should be ok sideing with his perspective...until about 11 PM...

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                    I don't think JB lights up after Miday so you should be ok sideing with his perspective...until about 11 PM...
                    Hehehehehehe...... - T.K.
                    No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

only roaches!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

That was Scott Carson speaking

My point is the same as Scott's. He said now that he is not bombarded with shots he can concentrate on his default which was concentration during games. Tilla isn't that what you said ricketts lack.
                        also please be aware that Ricketts attended UWi before embarking on a soccer career...Maudid whey u sey "Good Schooling must count for sumting".
                        Tilla im probably need instruction or a couple of Buffon Highlite Videos.
                        "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

PeeJay (di former Prime Minister ). Yuh can mek everyone know seh a yuh yuh nuh!

On to Ricketts. I suggested that there are certain things in a good goalkeeper's arsenal that Ricketts lacks. Nothing which cannot be taught and I am surprised that at this stage of his career and almost 6 years in England, he is still lacking.

His mental game and ability to function as a leader from behind are suspect if you ask me.

Ricketts' command of the box, his inability to handle crosses and him lacking the knack of how to start the attack out of the back are some of the fundamentals I see need work.

I think his presence (almost 6' 4"), his agility and shot stopping ability are things I give him credit for.

PeeJay (mi jus doh start seh PJ yah man), the opportunity to see some young Jamaican keepers demonstrating some of the very fundamentals I see Ricketts lacking is the reason I say we should give the youths at home a chance. I saw Shawn Sawyers keep in that game against Mexico in Houston in the Gold Cup in 2005, and I was happy for what I saw. Apart from a few nervous hitches brought on by lack of exposure at this level, Sawyers showed that with a competent goalkeeper behind the defenders, our attack can have a spark and not be as predictable as it does when we have Ricketts in goal. I was quite happy to see how Sawyers mixed up the attach and had the game playing through our midfield.

When Ricketts is in goal for example, we are only accustomed to him collecting and booting it high upfield. He is so predictable that the opposing players just stay back and wait for the ball which they have a 50/50 chance of winning. My problem is that Ricketts does this all-the-time.

Do you know how good I felt when I watched the under-20 and under-23 teams and they were not displaying this trait. Because of that, I said I would be happy with either the under-23 keeper of Sawyers or the Waterhouse keeper in goal.

That said, I hope any coach who comes in would work with Ricketts to correct some of his deficiencies. There are many coaches out there who could turn his game around. I hope if Simoes comes here, he would make something out of Ricketts.

PJ, good goalkeepers do not find themselves playing League 2 in England. My take on League 2 ball is that it is below CPPL and I am serious. Ricketts who is an international goalkeeper played on a team which got demoted from League 1 last season. His team is not very far from the drop level for League 2 either and we are not seeing anyone come knocking for his services. Why do you think this is so Mr. PJ?

also please be aware that Ricketts attended UWi before embarking on a soccer career...Maudid whey u sey "Good Schooling must count for sumting". Tilla im probably need instruction or a couple of Buffon Highlite Videos.
                          PJ, ask Karl if I have not made these comments to him over and over about Ricketts. I point to the fact that he is supposed to be an educated and intelligent man, but he is not demonstrating it. Hey, Ricketts can get some goalkeeping instructional videos and they would improve his game immensely. By the way, do not always assume that being educated and smart go hand in hand. . .
                          Secondly, mi lose offa yuh to hear yuh quoting Ben J (Maudib).
                          Last edited by Tilla; November 15, 2007, 09:56 PM.
                          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Tilla Ricketts can throw the ball overhead(GK) or below he does not have to boot the ball up field.He can play Distributive ball with his hands although keepers rarely do it these days but it one of the most fundamental an safer part of Goal tending...

You do not like the guy because you think he's getting up there in age he must retire and give somebody else a chance to tend goal for the National team...

That's the problem with us jamaicans over the years in football we usually change Goalies every year until when simoes came and deliverd us from the arrogance,look at USA & TRINIDAD they do not keep changing there Goalies
                            so often as we do.

Aaron Lawrence is the longest and one of the Most successful keepers from jamaica,does the JFF have the courtesy to call him up as Goal keeper Coach...he has reach that stage...
                            Last edited by Pepsi; November 15, 2007, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Pepsi? Yuh know suppen, mi nuh hab shot fi waste pon black bud.

Comment

Working...
                              X