Just had a thought.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just had a thought.

We are all quite hung up on rebuilding for the future. But while it is a worthwhile endeavor we must not get carried away. I refer to Goodisons recall. Though in his mid thirties, he's doing quite well for his club so why not consider him

Franco Baresi and Martin Keown are two notable examples of Central defenders who played into their late 30's with distinction.

Remember, by the time we understand the game were too old to play it.

better late than never

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I think most on this site (including your's truly) have decided to give Goodison the benefit of the doubt. We will watch and hope he still has it for this level of football.

While your two examples are well taken, we have to realize that they were also competing at a much higher level than Goodison has been for the past 5 years.

That said, what will matter is what Goodison does on the pitch. Hopefully he will hold his own and be there to help us shore up that back line which needs some serious help.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I hear Tappa was running the midfield in practise....

Comment

Tilla as usual we are doing this backwards. Boxhill and co had the right idea of using youth, the problem is not enough games and not choosing the right opponents. Now with WQ just a few months away we have to use the best team and thats related to performance and not age. If things were done properly Shavar would be ready, but what we have done is shameful with the transition of shavars group to the next level.

Comment

Many players in their mid to late 30's played international ball.

Included, also, are: Lillian Thuram (France); Cafu (Brasil); Claudio Suarez (Mexico); Cobi Jones (USA); Dwight Yorke & Latapy (TnT); Dino Zoff (Italy); and the list goes on.....

If a player is still in good physical condition and is better than most in the pool of players, then he should be selected. Afterall, the new mantra is foucussing on "the best X1 at all times."
            "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Tilla, with all due respect let's not forget that during Pepe's international he was ALWAYS playing against/marking forwards who were playing in much higher leagues than he was playing in. A case in point: when Dwight Yorke was tops at ManU, he looked like putty when he came up against Pepe.

Now, Pepe has surely lost a step or two but I still believe he will pleasantly surprise all the naysayers!
              "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

The only thing is Rico, even when Pepe was in his prime, I appreciate his comittment and leadership but I am one of those who believe that my central needs pace height and ability to play from the back. Pepe lack pace and I think he made up for it with agressive play and sometimes harsh tackles. I am still waiting to see something comming out of Jamaica with the ability of Pepe but with pace and a bit more cerebal quality. Gerald Scott had the cerebral quality but not the pace. Still waiting on that package.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
                  ...the new mantra is foucussing on "the best X1 at all times."
                  So it should be, boss - "The best X1 at all times!"
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

True, especially in 11th-hour situations like now. When we failed to qualify for WC2006 we should've been experimenting on a massive level to unearth the Pepes and Tappas for WC2010. At this moment, and so close to qualifications, we cannot afford much more dress rehearsal. It's crunch time! So it's time for:
                    - "The best X1!"

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
                      True, especially in 11th-hour situations like now. When we failed to qualify for WC2006 we should've been experimenting on a massive level to unearth the Pepes and Tappas for WC2010. At this moment, and so close to qualifications, we cannot afford much more dress rehearsal. It's crunch time! So it's time for:
                      - "The best X1!"
                      I disagree with you on "experimenting with...".

Our youngsters should move naturally as deserving of place - i.e. among our very best - through from our age-group teams i.e. U-17, U-20, U-21 and U-23/Olympic teams.

These youngsters would be in their age-group national teams touring and traveling the world gaining the experience and showing by performance that they are worthy of national senior team selection...thus replacing those who they have surpassed in ability to perform....in others words - demand selction on merit!

Our national teams will thus be, at all times, our best!
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I have no disagreement with what you're saying re: youth "deserving of place" and the need for "touring and gaining experience." I think that is a premium and should be in the works at all times.

However, being that over the last two years our youth "touring and gaining experience" has been kept at a minimum when compared with our CONCACAF neighbours, we have not been able to conclusively identify much talent to take over the reins. Demar Phillips, Luton shelton and the U23 goalies aside, we have not done much to unearth much from the feeder system.

That has basically left us with a situation where some of our best players are our older players. With WCQ a few months away and our FIFA ranking plummeting faster than the USA dollar, we have no recourse but to call in season pros to plug the holes.

Comment

Tilla quick question, if you
                          don't mind: What league was Tappa (Gardner too) playing in prior to
                          WC98? Weren't these players starters over players from the EPL?
                          Sorry to show the flaws in your reasoning.

Comment

Mi like everybody a gi Goodison a bly now

Do we realise that this is the highest level he is playing clubwise?

When he was in his prime he was playing for Hull City in Division 3, now Tranmere is in league one which was D2 a few years back and you want tell me the man washup?

Nuff man nearly take me to Bellevue fi a tin a milk only to see that Pepe still have little something left.

Bwoy a tell you, It is all fun still.

A suh the forum run. Big up fi yu statement Rico.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

he may have something. I will say that in his prime he was not as good as some think. Keep in mind I saw Jason Devos looking wicked playing for Ipswitch and like a baby playing againt concacaff teams. The lower division is garbage. The game is direct and vertical. I am not taking anything away from Pepe but I am not a believer because he has won some award.

Comment

Working...
                              X