X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shavar Thomas spectacular for Chivas

Shavar Thomas spectacular for Chivas

By Luis Bueno / MLSnet.com Staff

Shavar Thomas has been excellent in defense for Chivas since being traded from LA. (WireImage.com)

CARSON, Calif. - When

Chivas USA acquired defender

Shavar Thomas from the Los Angeles Galaxy in May, the move seemed to slip quietly under the radar.

Chivas USA gave up a second-round draft choice for Thomas, who was a victim of circumstance with the Galaxy. As it turned out, the move may have tipped the balance of power locally, and perhaps in the entire Western Conference, toward the Red-and-White.

Thomas has been nothing short of spectacular with Chivas USA this season. Despite coming in midstream, Thomas has been one of the club's most valuable players as he teamed up with Claudio Suarez to form one of the league's best central defense pairings.

"He's been as important as anyone to our success this year," Chivas USA midfielder Jesse Marsch said.

Initially, Thomas added depth to Chivas' backline. The Red-and-White started the season off with Suarez and Lawson Vaughn at central defense but Vaughn's speed and passing ability were best suited on the right side. Preki knew of Thomas' imposing physical skills from their days together at Kansas City and jumped at the opportunity to acquire Thomas from the rival Galaxy.

During the preseason, the Galaxy acquired Thomas from Kansas City to add depth to their own backline. But the club shipped him before acquiring the well-traveled Abel Xavier and cleared room for him by sending him across the hallway to Chivas USA.

Thomas played just one game for the Galaxy -- a U.S. Open Cup qualifier in Columbus -- so he was well-rested when he joined Chivas USA. His contributions came almost immediately. Thrown into the mix because of a shortage of available players, Thomas played the full 90 minutes against the Crew in his Chivas USA debut on May 12.

Struggling before the match with a 2-3 record, the 1-1 tie was the club's first of the season. Afterward, Chivas USA went 2-0-2 with Thomas helping stabilize the backline.

Overall, Chivas USA won the Western Conference with a 15-7-8 record and allowed 28 goals, the second fewest number in the league.
    "Shavar has done a great job but at the same time Claudio has done a great job, Jason Hernandez has been doing a solid job when he comes in," Chivas USA coach Preki said. "Shavar has been a great piece that we found and we expect even better things from him."

Marsch, meanwhile, said the Jamaican-born defender deserves some recognition for his efforts.

"He came late to our team but I've actually been surprised that he hasn't gotten more recognition for what he's done this year," Marsch said. "He's been a big part of it. I haven't heard talk much of him being Defender of the Year, not just for us but for the league and I think that he should be in that mix of guys they're talking about."

Thomas, though, was not a finalist for MLS Defender of the Year honors. Suarez, though, made the final three.

Still, Thomas is a taken aback somewhat when he hears the words "breakout season" mixed in with his name.

"Right now, some people think this is my breakout season," Thomas said while flashing his ever-present smile. "This is my fifth year in the league. In 2004 when I went to Kansas City, I played a lot of games. If you don't go back to the stat sheet, a lot of people don't see that. We made it to the [MLS Cup] final and I won the Open Cup, I was starting along with Jimmy (Conrad)."

After appearing in 15 games in his rookie season with Dallas, Thomas joined Kansas City before the start of the 2004 season. In his three seasons with the Wizards, Thomas played in 76 games and was a key part of the Wizards' defense during that span.

Having played with Preki helped pave his way to Chivas USA.

"As a teammate he believed in me and now he's my coach and he still does," Thomas said. "What better way to repay him than to go out there and play hard game in and game out and do my best?"

The rapport between Thomas and Preki is strong and carries over onto the team.

"Certainly, we've all come to respect him and the way he handles himself every day," Marsch said. "He's still a young guy in some ways but he's experienced too. He bring a good, physical presence to our team and he has a good relationship with Preki and kind of understands what Preki is looking for."

Luis Bueno is a contributor to MLSnet.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.
    No need to thank me forumites.

Originally posted by T.K. View Post
    [B]Marsch, meanwhile, said the Jamaican-born defender deserves some recognition for his efforts.
    [/I]
    Jamaican-born?! Or Jamaican?

Sigh...he is still not as good as Pepe.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Jamaican-born?! Or Jamaican?

Sigh...he is still not as good as Pepe.
      He may not be as good a man marker as Pepe Goodison in his day but he is much cleaner with the ball and does not give away possesion as much which is also a crucial skill for a center back to have. Also back in 97 we played with a true sweeper system which played to Pepe's strengths as he could play the stopper role. If we stick with the flat four then I would put my money on Shavar over Pepe any day. No disrespect to the general defender in any case. Pepe is still a great. - T.K.
      No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

tell them TK. Good to see Shavar settling with a team.

Yes he has the potential
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
        X