X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOMKINS: STUCK IN PUNDIT HELL ......Peter R

TOMKINS: STUCK IN PUNDIT HELL
    Paul Tomkins 14 November 2007
    Ten goals in two home games, achieved despite the absence of a number of the club's creative players, but to read some of the press reports you have to wonder what the team and its manager has to do to get some credit.

For me, and a number of fans, it's important how the Reds are treated within the media. I don't expect glowing praise, but I do want to see some balance. Just a little credit where it's due, as opposed to undeserved criticism and petty snipes.

The Daily Telegraph match report on Monday was a case in point. It was basically written from the point of view that Liverpool, had they not scored two late goals, would have drawn another game. (Wow, really?) And the piece suggested that drawing another game was not good enough, and certainly not championship form.

Of course, let's not forget the awkward fact that it wasn't a draw, and that matches last at least 90 minutes. The last 10 minutes are where the best teams often make it count. Anyone who has watched football for more than a month knows that.

Somehow it's okay for Manchester United to unconvincingly beat Spurs, Sunderland and Everton 1-0 with late or very late goals –– that's "the sign of a great team". But Liverpool deservedly winning 2-0 with late goals is somehow just not good enough and the equivalent of a draw.

To put things into context, Alex Ferguson believes that his current crop is the best squad he's ever had. Yet the Reds, on their coattails (only three points behind when level on games on Saturday evening), are widely portrayed in the media as some second-rate outfit with no chance of the title in a million years.

Something is wrong with this picture. If United are ever-improving (and to my mind they are), and Chelsea have the most expensive squad in the history of the English game, and Arsenal are playing "the best football ever seen" (slightly facetious, but you know what I mean), then how come the Reds aren't getting at least some credit for still being unbeaten and within touching distance, while experiencing far more medium- and long-term injury problems?

(All of a sudden Chelsea have a few players injured, and "injury crisis" has started appearing in the press.)

This Liverpool side is improving. The top four in England has been close to being the top four in Europe since Benítez arrived in England. Five years ago that was nowhere near the case.

Even when Liverpool hammer someone, as they did against Besiktas, it's down to poor opposition; no-one said the same when Arsenal thrashed Slavia Prague.

The Telegraph piece, which said Fulham failed to get the point they deserved, ignored that the Cottagers are the best team in the league when looking at half-time scorelines, so it was likely to be a case of wearing them down –– tiring them out as they chase the ball –– and striking late on.

Indeed, that's precisely what the great Liverpool sides of the past had to do on plenty of occasions. Or are we forgetting that? (And if late goals suddenly don't count, can we please have our league title from 1989 back, Mr?) Earlier this season Fulham were actually winning at Arsenal until the 84th minute, and then drew 0-0 at Chelsea. So their obduracy when visiting the big clubs is obvious. That's their style.

I also fail to see precisely what Fulham did to deserve a draw on Saturday. They defended very well, as they set out their stall for a goalless encounter.

However, they offered nothing going forward, and did not stop Liverpool, on top of the two goals, creating several undeniably clear-cut chances: two for Voronin, one of which was well saved, the other fractionally wide; Torres' shot that was saved; Crouch's header off the bar; Benayoun's wonderful dinked chip that was just tipped round, and his miss from a yard as two Liverpool players dived in at the loose ball. Only one keeper was actually involved in the game (unless it was creating assists).

While I'll never lose sleep over what's said in the papers on the telly, views expressed in the media do still irritate me; they can become the mantra of many fans –– particularly those who don't pay close attention to the facts but are quick to pick up their mobile and dial a phone-in –– and add to the pressure on a manager and the team.

One of the drawbacks of not being able to get to many games these days is that it leaves me, and my sanity, in the hands of the commentators.

I frequently switch off the sound during live games, only to quickly need it back on to either hear the crowd (as it's unreal without them) or for an explanation of what's happening when the pictures aren't clear (such as when the director focuses on a vaguely attractive woman in the crowd; wow, a woman! –– at a football match! –– and she doesn't look like a man! Unbelievable!)

These days, rather than write straight match reports, I concentrate on the bigger picture, and what surrounds each game: the form overall of the team and players; the tactics and systems; the short- or long-term patterns that can picked out with statistics, or from watching games over and over on the video; and so on.

And I guess I also look to provide what could be called a 'mediawatch' service, where I look to redress the balance from some of the more outlandish things said about the team.

For instance, on Sky's The Sunday Supplement, Paul Hayward of the Daily Mail accused Rafa of rotating because of his ego –– "it's all about him and his rotation"; rotation that is undertaken, he said, to prove how clever he is.

Presumably Benítez's two titles and Uefa Cup with Valencia, and his European and FA Cups with Liverpool –– while using these methods –– were merely to prove how clever he is? (Well, actually, it does suggest he might be fairly clever when it comes to this management lark.)

Quite what gives a journalist, whose cleverness is confined to the keyboard and who has never picked a team in his life, the right to make such an accusation is baffling.

I've never known of a manager who'd rather prove his cleverness in any other way than in winning games and, subsequently, trophies. Managers are obsessive winners. They'd feign a heart attack if their granny was going to beat them at tiddlywinks.

In three years, Benítez has reached four finals and achieved the Reds' highest points tally since 1988 with rotation. With just five unchanged teams in his 200 games, Rafa's win-rate of 56 per cent bears comparison with the club's greats. It is fractionally behind Bob Paisley's, at 57 per cent, but quite a way ahead of Bill Shankly's, at 51 per cent. Only Kenny Dalglish's, at 60 per cent, is significantly higher since John McKenna's 61 per cent way back in the 1890s.

As for Benítez's ego, we're not talking about another Jose Mourinho, for whom the limelight was the only place to be, but a far lower-key man, who preaches the power of the collective, not the culture of the individual. But because he has 'ideas' –– ideas that he has the temerity to stick to in the face of press criticism –– he's an egotist? It's laughable.

"The fans are fed up with his rotation" said Hayward. Well, some fans may well be. But that doesn't mean we all are; or that those who are fed up are right and the rest of us wrong. The trouble is if you listen to phone-ins for the opinion of 'real fans', you are likely to get the most controversial opinions, as that's what the producers want. The views of the fans of any one club vary quite wildly; as such I've never tried to represent "the fans" as a whole, just present my own views.

Another theory espoused by Hayward –– which the Daily Mirror's Oliver Holt did well to debunk –– was that the European Cup now means nothing to Liverpool fans, who want the Premiership title.

Holt was spot-on when he argued that the European Cup has a special place in Liverpool's history and in the hearts of its fans. It's almost being treated as if it counts for nothing now, in order to find a reason to slate Benítez as a failure in his three years.

I'm sorry, but the European Cup meant plenty to Liverpool fans while the Reds were winning it, and arguably even more between 1985 and 2005, when repeating the feat had become the most spindly of pipe dreams as we looked on in envy. Yes, the Premier League is desired after such a long wait, but the Champions League cannot be devalued as a result.

It may sound paranoid, but if Manchester United had been doing as well in Europe while they weren't winning the league there would be no such criticisms of the competition meaning so little.

I mean, Ferguson has only made one final in the 15 years United have been consistently qualifying for it. This from a man whose first five seasons in the English league ended with United 11th, 2nd, 11th, 13th, and 7th!

And while the league title has yet to return to Anfield, before Rafa arrived the Reds' league form meant the club weren't even qualifying for the Champions League every season –– something he has a 100 per cent record with.

I do think as fans we can be oversensitive to some criticism of the club we hold dear, as it can be like hearing someone criticise your wife or your mother –– but while some of it will be fair (no manager, player or club gets everything right), so much of it can be ludicrous.

When it comes to televised games I don't tend to watch the pre-match discussion as it just winds me up ahead of the game, and adds to the nervous energy which I need to control.

Last week I was invited to be interviewed by Setanta, for use in the pre-match build up to the Fulham game, which was an honour, but too much for me to manage.

I also get asked to do a lot of radio and podcasts, but unless my health is 100 per cent I can struggle to think and speak as quickly as I'd like, as at times I can be affected by 'brain fog'. (Brain fog is described as "the sensation of a physical obstruction to clear thinking in the brain, often extended to apply in general to neurocognitive symptoms experienced by many people who suffer from neuroimmune diseases such as ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, Lyme disease and multiple sclerosis, amongst others.")

I have visions of coming across like Forest Gump's dim-witted brother, without my sibling's supposedly witty aphorisms about life and boxes of chocolates.

I trust that this platform gives me enough of a chance to get my views across to a wide audience of Liverpool fans, and that I can at least make some sense when it comes to answering the excessive criticisms of the club.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

The Problems of Being a Liverpool Supporter

By Flagpole Corner
    Date: 8/11/2007

As I write this I hope that the editor of Shankly Gates will not modify any of the content here because I am, once again, speaking from the heart.

Ever since an early age there has been a mass emphasis on football in my life. My dad started me off by taking me the match and I pretty much took over things from there. However, it has only dawned on me that my love of the match and Liverpool Football Club has done more harm than good. Over the past few days people have said to me that mates and girlfriends come and go but your football club is always there. I used to hold that belief but now it's dawned upon me that the reason why friends and girlfriends have gone is because of Liverpool FC which has engulfed my life for well over a decade now.

Ever since I can remember my life has been ruled by the club's fixture list with me only missing a handful of games since I became a Kop season ticket holder in the 1995/96 season.

As a Liverpool born lad I know what football means to the people of this city. It's more than a pastime; it's a religion, a way of life, the reason for living. I used to believe that also but not any more.

I was not at the 8-0 defeat of Besiktas despite having a ticket for the game, nor was I at the Arsenal game the week previous but the latter was more to do with a cock-up on the club's part over their electronic card readers. The feeling of going the match has completely gone from my heart. The thought of going for a few pints with mates or even just going straight into the ground and then off home doesn't appeal to me at all.

The problem is that I've let my love of Liverpool Football Club take over my life and essentially it has been my downfall. I've also become involved in so-called 'fan politics' which has seen me strongly disagree with several supporters and their views of my presence at the games is one of the main reasons why I have come to this decision.

As much as I have promoted Reclaim The Kop in my articles, I feel that the campaign has fallen a little short with some of it's more outspoken members using their position at the forefront of the campaign to exonerate supporters who aren't behaving in accordance with their beliefs. Now while I agree that jester's hats and chants deriving from Soccer AM is not part of matchday etiquette, calling someone a 'whopper' because they have a name and number on the back of their replica shirts or based on what they wear to the match is not the way to gain support.

However this berating of individuals does not take place at the match itself - it takes place on the forums and message boards instead. I myself have become the target of this 'bitching' but many would argue that some of it, if not all, was warranted. However several supporters have made it abundantly clear that my presence at Anfield, or any other Liverpool game for that matter, is not welcomed.

One supporter remarked to me on my decision to walk away from the match and everything associated with it:
    "Eleven men get paid top whack to do what most of us want to do. We go watch, enjoy, sing, fight (if that way inclined), argue in the boozer, celebrate, cry and all sorts of other ****************, to basically for a few hours take us away from the mundane dross of getting on with life."

For me that's where the problem stems from. Liverpool Football Club isn't just a diversion from my life - it is my life and it has done some pretty severe damage to it.

I'd like to thank everyone who has read my articles on Shankly Gates and e-mailed me about them whether it's to say 'nice one' or tell me that they're ****************. I'd like to thank Chris McMullan for giving me the opportunity to write for one of the biggest Liverpool FC websites around. Hopefully I'll be back writing on here in a few months or years calling myself all sorts for packing it in and then having a go at how **************** I think John Arne Riise is.

I won't go on a self-pitying rant a la Paul Tomkins but what I will say is that for some the match is a part of their lives but for me it is my life and it's time to walk away which means there will be one less Liverpool-born supporter on The Kop.

If I do change my mind then feel free to e-mail me and let rip. A few mates are taking bets on how long I'll stay away for and who knows I might be at Newcastle away for all I know (my willpower's not exactly exemplary) but for the time being I'm walking away because I have found out just some of the problems that come with being a supporter of Liverpool Football Club.

Take it easy

Richard Buxton
    flagpolecorner@shanklygates.co.uk

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Premiership - A Long Haul Destination

By Darren Phillips
      Date: 8/11/2007

On the night of 16 May 2001 Gerard Houllier walked across the pitch of Borussia Dortmund's Westfalen Stadion clutching the UEFA Cup in his arms. It was the third trophy of a memorable treble and the first non-domestic prize The Reds had claimed in 17 years.

It was also the club's most successful season in terms of silverware won in the same period.

The players came home to a heroes welcome but no one was lauded higher than the manager. In just three seasons in charge Houllier was seeming to measure up to the mantle of Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley, Joe ************an and Kenny Dalglish. The 1990s and the poor quality football not to mention commitment on display for most of the past decade seemed banished.

However, just three seasons on all the goodwill and hope built up had evaporated.

A particularly sorry brand of football unacceptable to Liverpool fans was being played at a time when The Reds would have realistically expected to push on from not only that campaign but the one which followed. After a flourish in the 17 games to the season's end which followed a 2-0 reverse at Southampton in early January Liverpool recorded 13 wins, three draws and a single defeat finishing as runners-up for the first time since The Premiership was established. Also reaching the last eight of the Champions League.

There was no silverware except for The Community Shield and European Super Cup but there was certainly progress and an exceptional start to the term which followed when a dozen games without defeat including nine wins had The Reds not only top of the pile but flavour of the month. The press, wise as ever during an event, started to eulogise about all things associated with Anfield forecasting that the title race could be nothing more than a chase after the leaders.

Cosy ups from the papers is never a comfortable feeling for any Red.

However, the duopoly of Manchester United and Arsenal remained unbroken as just like the Old Trafford outfit who were often acclaimed as champions elect autumn after autumn Houllier's men collapsed. In the last game of the season that fourth Champions League place was lost to Chelsea and though it wasn't known at the time that result ushered Roman Abramovich into Stamford Bridge.

Murmurings of discontent started. A banner of protest something unheard of at Anfield was unfurled before a UEFA Cup tie with Steaua Bucharest in November 2003 which read: "Not good enough for LFC. Time to go Houllier."

The dissent wasn't based on a culture of campaigning for anything other than what was just or protest at the slightest provocation as it was at many clubs who chanted "sack the board". By the close of that season it's sad to say that the Liverpool team was disorganised, deflated and dispirited. Only identifiable as a unit by the shirts they wore. The football was flat, uninspiring and overly defensive and while the manager did guide his side into the Champions League at the expense of Newcastle United he had spent months answering criticism from two crucial areas - fans and ex-players. The groundswell of both had turned against him and made his position untenable.

David Moores a man who had stood by Graeme Souness throughout some very testing times on the field and away from it while calls for his dismissal were made and decided not to demote or ask Roy Evans to leave his post but install a manager alongside him like his executives knew they would have to sack a manager as he wouldn't leave voluntarily.

There could be no question of inaction and while Gerard Houllier was making plans for his summer spending, his record signing's introduction and the shape of his team at his Melwood office the decision to end his tenure was made. Even at the press conference to announce that departure the now former manager intimated that he had no regrets about the job he had done and wanted to stay in command. Those same naysayers he had been denying for almost a year didn't escape on last shot in his firing line. They were held to have formed part of the pressure on the board and players Houllier alluded to as a reason behind his departure.

At roughly the same time two hot commodities were steeping on to the managerial job pool - Jose Mourinho who had guided Porto to Champions League glory and Rafael Benitez a man who had taken Valencia on from being an aspiring team who had threatened to breakthrough on both home and European fronts but fell just short under Hector Cuper.

When appointed to take charge at The Mestalla Bentiez was fresh from guiding Tenerife to La Liga after the Canary Island club had captured the Segunda Division. He brought the first championship win the club had witnessed in over three decades at the first attempt. Fifth place the following season was a huge slip but rather than go with the knee-jerk reaction often common in Spain Rafa was left in place and regained the title then added the UEFA Cup to the trophy cabinet.

However, a rocky relationship with the board not to mention Sporting Director Jesus Garcia Pitarch led to Benitez quitting Valencia with a more than a year remaining on his contract and a two year extension on the table.

Though Rick Parry was said to have courted Mourinho during the trip his Porto side made to Old Trafford in the first knock-out round of the Champions League in February 2004 Benitez was appointed as the 16th manager of Liverpool Football Club's 112 year history with a fortnight.

A five year contract was a display of the faith held in him at that stage not to mention his pedigree and his impact at Anfield was just as spectacular if not more so than at any of his previous clubs culminating in the dramatic capture of the European Cup. A team comprised of the same players who had looked so flat under Gerard Houllier had captured the most the most prestigious trophy in club football.

That victory was followed up with an equally dramatic FA Cup win - a first domestic knock-out trophy at any level for Rafael Benitez but more importantly Liverpool not only significantly reduced the points gap between themselves and Chelsea who finished as champions in both seasons but increased the tally earned by 41%.

There are only four trophies available to most Premiership teams and while The Reds saw league form slump in the third season under Rafa Benitez a second Champions League final in three years marked another magnificent achievement but fate can be a very fickle mistress in football.

On balance AC Milan may have been more deserving winners in Istanbul but 90 minutes or even 120 minutes plus penalties do not always reflect the balance of play and though Liverpool were the better side when the team convened in Athens the game was lost 2-1.

So a question those who may believe in patterns ask is does the third season in charge, as it did under Gerard Houllier's stewardship, indicate a high water mark and will the ship slowly start to list from here on in? 8-0 wins are all well in good but most of that haul would be swapped to ensure Liverpool don't draw any blanks or register another run of draws.

This is the longest tenure Benitez has spent at any club but while the waters may be unchartered the seas are far from stormy and Rafa has a guiding principle he will stick to.

A key factor in successful teams over recent years - excluding Chelsea - has been stability. It seems slightly unfair to contrast the two as Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger took charge of their respective teams in very different eras. However, what can be said for the Manchester United manager regardless of some of the limp challenges his team faced during the 1990s is that he has straddled two, notionally three, different eras of the English game - the Football League days, The Premiership and the age of foreign ownership and investment - winning not just trophies but championships in each and will be regarded as one of the great managers as a result.

It took him six and half seasons to claim a first title during which time he was rumoured to be flirting with dismissal more often than a drunken accountant at the office Christmas Party. However, once he brought his side on Ferguson was never in any danger of leaving at a time other than his own choosing and that remains the case.

Similarly Arsene Wenger could hold the Arsenal hotseat until he is forced to leave in a wooden box but he too took time to assemble not only a first championship winning side. Admittedly a mere two seasons by comparison but he has found retaining that level of performance tricky. His sides have lasted no longer than a few seasons and though Chelsea are often taken out of equations due to their financial bubble their extreme wealth has been a factor throughout Rafael Benitez's stewardship of The Reds. Something Alex Ferguson certainly never had to contend with as the money making monolith that was Manchester United throughout the 1990s onwards ensured he had the deepest pockets. Wenger was in situ and winning the title five years before any body outside Russia knew the word oligarch.

At The Mestalla Benitez had the spine of a very good team but much of that was about potential rather than established talent. Rafa merely complimented what was already there with his own choices to blend a unit which didn't have the star quality of The Bernabeu or The Nou Camp but had the beating of both Real Madrid and Barcelona.

If he is able to retain and develop his current side which has essentially been built from the ground up the chances are he will only need to alter odd things rather than make wholesale changes on the road to achieving the domestic success Anfield craves.

Players who had been with the club for a good while and those new players who made the field on Tuesday proved they can work together The money Tom Hicks and George Gillett have been able to bring in has bought nothing more than a chance to catch up on those who have had the luxury of time as well as money though in some case just funds to pull away.

A little like Wenger Rafa is planning for the long rather than short or medium term trying to build a narrative which cuts throughout the club. It made The Reds a force for many seasons and could do again. A huge injection of funds into playing staff this summer. It may be so in the winter and certainly when the current season closes but it was never going to make The Reds title favourites. Amongst the runners - almost certainly and that still has to be the aim.

Anything above is a bonus and if things pull together quickly enough it's not impossible to hope but failing to parade the Premier League crown in May will not amount to failure.

Money is of no particular use at the present time in any case. Momentum is the commodity required

Comment

Cho. Yuh know X, yuh just waste big man reading time when yuh put up dem long post yah. Me start read the first article because when me glance through it, me see the Empire name only fe realise seh a one a de Livafool fanatic a bitch bout nonsense. Stop full up the forum with foolishness.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

10 goals in 2 games? These Liverpool people either drinking mad puss **************** or something. Unuh score 8 pon Besiktas ... ooowww! Big deal. Unuh score 2 pon Fulham ... how many away games Fulham won this season?

Livafool ..... a comical bunch. If unuh want credit ... guh to a financial institution.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            10 goals in 2 games? These Liverpool people either drinking mad puss **************** or something. Unuh score 8 pon Besiktas ... ooowww! Big deal. Unuh score 2 pon Fulham ... how many away games Fulham won this season?

Livafool ..... a comical bunch. If unuh want credit ... guh to a financial institution.
            Livierpool is one of the big 4! ...possible in the big 3?
            ...and, they could win the EPL!
            ...although it is the GUNNERS to lose!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              Livierpool is one of the big 4! ...possible in the big 3?
              ...and, they could win the EPL!
              ...although it is the GUNNERS to lose!
              I'll give Liverpool some credit, they're the artists of the EPL. They draw too many games.

How you come to the conclusion that the EPL is the gunners to lose? When are you jokers going to be real and objective? Last I checked there are 2 teams playing flowing and attractive football in the league, there are 2 teams that are scoring alot of goals, there are 2 teams with the same goal difference, same points although Arsenal has a game in hand.

How is it Arsenal's to lose? Be real Karl.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

well if they had played an equal amount of games arsenal would be ahead by 3....as it is if the season ended in a similar situation who would be the champion?

perhaps you mean that as defending champions man u is the team that will lose the title? please clarify.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  well if they had played an equal amount of games arsenal would be ahead by 3....as it is if the season ended in a similar situation who would be the champion?

perhaps you mean that as defending champions man u is the team that will lose the title? please clarify.
                  Last I checked, the league is 38 games long, not 13. The fact is you have a game in hand, Newcastle has a 50% chance of getting the 3 points right? I don't write checks until there is money in the account to cover that check. Win yuh game in hand then come back.

On Manu's form, its only a matter of time before they're the sole leader of the league. Unuh escaped 2 weeks ago .... at OT, people dead from half time.

Comment

coming from a man whe didi a preach armageddon...hehe
                    Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                    Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Working...
                    X