Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all this because emgland might not qualify for euro

Foreign limit would help England - Gerrard

Steven Gerrard believes a limit on the number of foreign players in English domestic football would benefit the national team.
    Several figures including Sepp Blatter, the president of world governing body FIFA, and Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson have called for the number of overseas players in the Premier League to be capped.
    The issue has proved particularly pertinent with England in serious danger of failing to qualify for Euro 2008.
    Liverpool star Gerrard, who is currently captaining England in the absence of injured John Terry, stopped short of calling for such restrictions but can see their merits.
    'I'm sure it won't do any harm and I'm sure it would help the national team,' he said.
    'We want as many homegrown players in that league as possible.
    'I think there is a risk of too many foreign players coming over, which would affect our national team eventually if it's not already.
    'It is important we keep producing players. There is no point having the best league in the world if the national team is going to suffer in the long run.'
    Michael Owen, one of the few members of the England squad to have actually played overseas himself, accepted the best foreign players had made a positive contribution to the Premier League.
    And although he had no doubt the very best youngsters would make it to the top, he was concerned some players who had a chance of making the grade would have their progress hindered.
    'We all want one thing at the end of the day, we want our national team to be very good and our league to be good,' he told a press conference televised by Sky Sports News.
    'The foreigners have helped raise the standard of our game but if you want to be greedy you would want English players to raise that standard further.
    'You always think to yourself the top English players will come through and play but there are some who are late developers and they get pushed to the back of the queue because there are too many foreign players.'

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Well, they need to do something don't it? I saw an article on newsnow a few weeks back where it was pointed out that even though England had 4 teams in the Champions League, the lat minute appearance by Sidwell for Chelsea allowed England to have the same amount of players in that round as the Ivory Coast.

This article was after they lost to Russia and Fergie came out pointing out that if England had more players playing Champions League football it would have better prepared the players for situations like they faced in Russia. Like him or not he has a valid point. Looking at the team sheet against Russia, England had only 1 defender, 3 mids and 1 forward that play Champions League football starting.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

yeah but is not the marketplace determine that? granted it's a kind of affirmative action and maybe i should be sympathetic but i'm not.

english sportsmen just don't have it.....they are undeachievers in all the sports they "invented"...cricket, football, tennis, rugby (although they won a world championship).

same thing they did with cricket and it seemed to help but then not really...they are still some distance behind australia and south africa especially...not because of a lack of facilities (same with football) but because of the mentality!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yeah same ole story fi Englan, Dem nuh have no enterprise an creativity inna dem game. It too static and robot like. Dem have to much TEAM ah Karl wod dat. Individuality an enterprise pan di fiel, ah weh dem waan. Dem nah guh reach nuh weh until dem recognize individuality creativity and enterprise pan di ball.

Comment

Originally posted by myYout View Post
          Yeah same ole story fi Englan, Dem nuh have no enterprise an creativity inna dem game. It too static and robot like. Dem have to much TEAM ah Karl wod dat. Individuality an enterprise pan di fiel, ah weh dem waan. Dem nah guh reach nuh weh until dem recognize individuality creativity and enterprise pan di ball.
          ...and, I wonder what you think is the reason why I am saying the USA TEAM cannot go any further until they introduce the monority immigrants e.g. the more creative and technically more talented Haitians, Jamaicans, Central Americans and South Americans? You are not thinking I meant the admirable TEAM play the USA has on display should be destroyed?

I rather hope you think that the creativity and superior technical ability should be added ingredients to TEAM USA! ...and, that should propel TEAM USA forward and upward!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Sometimes we need to tek a step back and be honest. If Jamaica had one of the most exciting leagues in CONCACAF, with players from all over CONCACAF and mek mi push it ... CONMEBOL playing in the league, but our national team is suffering because of the influx of foreign players, what would our reaction be?

Looking at France's starting 11 in their previous Euro 2008 qualifier, 8 of their staring 11 plays overseas and 7 play Champions League the other plays UEFA cup.

The English needs to do something to address the problem they're facing. One thing they can try to do is drive down the enormous transfer fees for English players. Maybe then, more of them may get into bigger teams like Liverpool and Chelsea.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Platini blast for English clubs

Michel Platini has attacked the foreign scouting policy of clubs by insisting youngsters must be protected against the lure of big-money moves.

Platini's comments come after suggestions by FIFA president Sepp Blatter that domestic teams should be issued with a quota of homegrown players.
              Arsene Wenger's table-topping Arsenal side scored their 1,000th Premier League on Monday evening as they beat Reading 3-1 with an all-foreign starting XI - a policy which has evoked much criticism.
              However, Platini cited Arsenal and Manchester United for their youth team policies that do not prohibit poaching the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Gerard Pique and Giuseppe Rossi from their hometown clubs before they sign professional terms.
              The Frenchman said: "I am totally against this philosophy and I am a firm believer that we need to take care of the identity of the club.
              "This is why for Manchester United there are no English players and I'm totally not in favour of that.
              "Don't get me wrong I like Ferguson and Arsene Wenger is a great friend of mine, but I don't like the system that scours other countries for the best young talent to bring back to their team."
              England midfielder Steven Gerrard has admitted he fears for the long-term future of the England side unless more homegrown talent is allowed to develop and flourish in the Barclays Premier League.
              And Platini added on BBC News 24 programme Hard Talk: "It is difficult for all the countries because they cannot all have the best players.
              "But because of the money the best players will leave at 14 which means success will always follow money and we need to correct that.
              "You have regulations in England that you can buy players from other countries and other clubs so you protect your clubs but you go and attack foreign teams' youth set-ups.
              "I want to protect the young players of 14 or 15 years of age who need to stay with their hometown clubs, with their families and then if they go to England at the age of 20, 21, 22 it's no problem.
              "Many will come back at the age of 16 destroyed because it was not a success."

Comment

It appears Michel had a little too much Sauvignon Blanc. "This is why for Manchester United there are no English players and I'm totally not in favour of that"

When the UEFA President sobers up, ask him what nationality is Wes Brown, Gary Neville, Ben Foster, Rio, Carrick, Scholes, Hargreves and Rooney. Which other top 4 team have as much English players as Manu?

Comment

plus his issue seems to be "young" players.

the BPL is an exciting league and it did not get there because of the english talent!

lampard and gerrard have benefitted from playing on club teams with creative players...notice how they flop when they play for england? they don't get the same service....

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                    plus his issue seems to be "young" players.

the BPL is an exciting league and it did not get there because of the english talent!

lampard and gerrard have benefitted from playing on club teams with creative players...notice how they flop when they play for england? they don't get the same service....
                    Correction, Lampard is the one that flops. Anyhow, the point you just made could simply fuel the argument of those wanting to see more English players in the top clubs.

Comment

ok...underachieves, better?

i take the alternative approach...if english players were good enough, they would be there. there are just not that many rooneys and walcotts in england.

what should have been the golden age of english football...hoddle, barnes, lineker, platt was stymied because of racism.....and they continue to pay the price meanwhile ..france...

Comment

ok...underachieves, better?

i take the alternative approach...if english players were good enough, they would be there. there are just not that many rooneys and walcotts in england.

what should have been the golden age of english football...hoddle, barnes, lineker, platt was stymied because of racism.....and they continue to pay the price meanwhile ..france...
                        Well the FA shot themselves in the foot when they implemented a comical rule that youngsters should live within x minutes of the training ground or something close to that.

Then the playing field changed when Arsenal and Chelsea changed and focused on bringing players instead of bring them through. In order to stay in the runnings, Fergie had to change his approach as well and send most of his young players out on loan and see the brightest prospect, Rossi end up being sold.

The FA needs to decide if they only want to have an exciting league or if they also want to have the English national team making an impact on the international scene.

Comment

look at france.....they do well with "foreign" talent in their leagues.

Comment

look at france.....they do well with "foreign" talent in their leagues.
                            Thats because their top players are playing for the top clubs in England, Spain, Italy and Germany. They have no reason to complain. Futhermore, with the stars going overseas it provides room for younger player to gain experience. I saw a youngster play for them in their previous qualifier, a 19 year old, well ... he is currently the leading scorer in Ligue 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                              Platini blast for English clubs

Michel Platini has attacked the foreign scouting policy of clubs by insisting youngsters must be protected against the lure of big-money moves.
                              Football has it risks. Who then would pay the youngsters to forgo a good financial future and stay at home?

Platini's comments come after suggestions by FIFA president Sepp Blatter that domestic teams should be issued with a quota of homegrown players.

Arsene Wenger's table-topping Arsenal side scored their 1,000th Premier League on Monday evening as they beat Reading 3-1 with an all-foreign starting XI - a policy which has evoked much criticism.

However, Platini cited Arsenal and Manchester United for their youth team policies that do not prohibit poaching the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Gerard Pique and Giuseppe Rossi from their hometown clubs before they sign professional terms.

The Frenchman said: "I am totally against this philosophy and I am a firm believer that we need to take care of the identity of the club.

"This is why for Manchester United there are no English players and I'm totally not in favour of that.

"Don't get me wrong I like Ferguson and Arsene Wenger is a great friend of mine, but I don't like the system that scours other countries for the best young talent to bring back to their team."

England midfielder Steven Gerrard has admitted he fears for the long-term future of the England side unless more homegrown talent is allowed to develop and flourish in the Barclays Premier League.

And Platini added on BBC News 24 programme Hard Talk: "It is difficult for all the countries because they cannot all have the best players.
                              "But because of the money the best players will leave at 14 which means success will always follow money and we need to correct that.

"You have regulations in England that you can buy players from other countries and other clubs so you protect your clubs but you go and attack foreign teams' youth set-ups.

"I want to protect the young players of 14 or 15 years of age who need to stay with their hometown clubs, with their families and then if they go to England at the age of 20, 21, 22 it's no problem.
                              "Many will come back at the age of 16 destroyed because it was not a success."
                              Well you have to balance on e the one hand the opportunity given to the young workers to sell their labour to the highest bidder and on the other hand the 'emotional tug' of wanting your best to remain at home.

...why not pay them the big bucks these foreign teams pay? That would help!
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X