Weeping fi Bora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weeping fi Bora

When I looked on this team this afternoon, I shook my head and wept for Bora. Bora was really given a basket to carry water!

A part of the problem with Bora though was that he lacked the sense of urgency, especially with WCQ just months away.

Every now and then I would call my good friend Karl who is residing at his comfortable retirement setting of Shady Pines. We always talk for a couple hours on the path the program was taking under the Boxhill/Bora regime. I always said to Karl that while it was good that the Boxhill admin wanted to focus on youth and build for the future, it was really asinine to see they brought in Bora and he basically threw out all the established players we have known and decided to start from scratch. I maintained that this was not how you rebuild.

To borrow from an article from a writer called Tillamawnin submitted to this site approximately four rears ago:-

"The infusion of young talent and the exposure of that talent at the highest level should always be at the top of the list of priorities of any technical staff, if the team is to have a successful run in coming years in international competitions.

The constant injection of new talent and the promotion of young players from the age-group teams to the senior level should ensure that we have players coming through to give us quality and depth at every position of the team. If this happens, it would be unnecessary for us to seem to be always milking our older players for all they've got. Instead, we could see the gradual phasing in of the talented young, and a judicious ushering out of the old guard over time."

On Becoming Reggae Men - January 2003.

Whereas the writer was calling for more young players to get opportunities, the call was never for the whole-scale throwing out of the old guard. To do this would be tantamount to throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Any one wishing out team well must be able to see that the approach by Bora was not going to bear fruit, especially in the short run and the fact that we did not have time on our hands. Bora should have been working with this set of guys listed below and over time blending in the young talents with these players. I will therefore agree with the current Burrell admin for getting rid of Bora, who after four years in the TD position may have amounted to nothing more than a costly mistake of the previous administration.

Well,, with Bora out o the way, let me hope that interim TD Whitmore and whoever take over the program will let good sense prevail. The good sense which should be learned is that to rebuild a team does not mean tearing down and starting with the young and inexperienced.

I love this squad and look forward to enjoying some good Reggae Boyz ball again. . .

Goal Keeper
    Donovan Ricketts Bradford City England
    Richard McCallumn Waterhouse FC Jamaica
    Duwayne Kerr Portmore United Jamaica

Defenders
    Damian Stewart Queens Park Rangers England
    Ian Goodison Tranmere Rovers, England
    Demar Stewart Royal Whitestar, Belgium
    Rafe Wolfe Royal Whitestar, Belgium
    Tyrone Marshall Toronto FC Canada
    Shavar Thomas Chivas USA USA
    Wolry Wolfe Portmore United FC Jamaica
    Christopher Jackson Tivoli Gardens FC Jamaica

Midfielders
    Sean Frazer Miami FC USA
    Jason Morrison Royal Whitestar, Belgium
    Ricardo Gardner Bolton Wanderers, England
    Omar Daley Bradford City England
    Jermaine Johnson Sheffield Wednesday England
    Jamal Campbell-Ryce Barnsley England
    Khari Stephenson AIKS, Sweden Jamaica
    Rudolph Austin Portmore United FC Jamaica
    Ricardo Geddes Seba FC Jamaica
    Damian Williams Waterhouse FC Jamaica
    Demar Philips Stoke City, England

Strikers
    Luton Shelton Sheffield United England Forward
    Ricardo Fuller Stoke City England Forward
    Dane Richards NY Red Bulls USA Forward
    Fabian Taylor Harbour View FC Jamaica Forward
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
    When I looked on this team this afternoon, I shook my head and wept for Bora. Bora was really given a basket to carry water!

A part of the problem with Bora though was that he lacked the sense of urgency, especially with WCQ just months away.

Every now and then I would call my good friend Karl who is residing at his comfortable retirement setting of Shady Pines. We always talk for a couple hours on the path the program was taking under the Boxhill/Bora regime. I always said to Karl that while it was good that the Boxhill admin wanted to focus on youth and build for the future, it was really asinine to see they brought in Bora and he basically threw out all the established players we have known and decided to start from scratch. I maintained that this was not how you rebuild.

To borrow from an article from a writer called Tillamawnin submitted to this site approximately four rears ago:-

"The infusion of young talent and the exposure of that talent at the highest level should always be at the top of the list of priorities of any technical staff, if the team is to have a successful run in coming years in international competitions.

The constant injection of new talent and the promotion of young players from the age-group teams to the senior level should ensure that we have players coming through to give us quality and depth at every position of the team. If this happens, it would be unnecessary for us to seem to be always milking our older players for all they've got. Instead, we could see the gradual phasing in of the talented young, and a judicious ushering out of the old guard over time."

On Becoming Reggae Men - January 2003.

Whereas the writer was calling for more young players to get opportunities, the call was never for the whole-scale throwing out of the old guard. To do this would be tantamount to throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Any one wishing out team well must be able to see that the approach by Bora was not going to bear fruit, especially in the short run and the fact that we did not have time on our hands. Bora should have been working with this set of guys listed below and over time blending in the young talents with these players.
    Good!

I will therefore agree with the current Burrell admin for getting rid of Bora, who after four years in the TD position may have amounted to nothing more than a costly mistake of the previous administration.

Bora has been here only - ...the contract, reportedly valued at US$1 million per year, took effect on November 16, 2006

http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/articles...al=the&id=1069

Well,, with Bora out o the way, let me hope that interim TD Whitmore and whoever take over the program will let good sense prevail. The good sense which should be learned is that to rebuild a team does not mean tearing down and starting with the young and inexperienced.

I love this squad and look forward to enjoying some good Reggae Boyz ball again. . .

Goal Keeper
    Donovan Ricketts Bradford City England
    Richard McCallumn Waterhouse FC Jamaica
    Duwayne Kerr Portmore United Jamaica

Defenders
    Damian Stewart Queens Park Rangers England
    Ian Goodison Tranmere Rovers, England
    Demar Stewart Royal Whitestar, Belgium
    Rafe Wolfe Royal Whitestar, Belgium
    Tyrone Marshall Toronto FC Canada
    Shavar Thomas Chivas USA USA
    Wolry Wolfe Portmore United FC Jamaica
    Christopher Jackson Tivoli Gardens FC Jamaica

Midfielders
    Sean Frazer Miami FC USA
    Jason Morrison Royal Whitestar, Belgium
    Ricardo Gardner Bolton Wanderers, England
    Omar Daley Bradford City England
    Jermaine Johnson Sheffield Wednesday England
    Jamal Campbell-Ryce Barnsley England
    Khari Stephenson AIKS, Sweden Jamaica
    Rudolph Austin Portmore United FC Jamaica
    Ricardo Geddes Seba FC Jamaica
    Damian Williams Waterhouse FC Jamaica
    Demar Philips Stoke City, England

Strikers
    Luton Shelton Sheffield United England Forward
    Ricardo Fuller Stoke City England Forward
    Dane Richards NY Red Bulls USA Forward
    Fabian Taylor Harbour View FC Jamaica Forward
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I never said Bora was there more than a year. I said after 4 years (sometime in 2010) MAY HAVE AMOUNTED to a costly mistake. Because I cannot see the future, I can only say may have. . .

Karl, si wid mi nuh man? Memba seh a STETHS mi goh? Never had the opportunity like you to go to a Munro.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
        I never said Bora was there more than a year. I said after 4 years (sometime in 2010) MAY HAVE AMOUNTED to a costly mistake. Because I cannot see the future, I can only say may have. . .

Karl, si wid mi nuh man? Memba seh a STETHS mi goh? Never had the opportunity like you to go to a Munro.
        I see!
        Got yuh!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
        X