X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitmore now, Simoes later

Whitmore now, Simoes later

By André Lowe
    Former national standout Theodore ‘Tappa’ Whitmore was yesterday named by the new Jamaica Football federation (JFF) administration as the interim coach for the national senior team and will take charge of the Reggae Boyz November 18 and 21 friendly internationals against Guatemala and El Salvador respectively inside the National Stadium.

While revered by fans all over the world as a slippery midfield general, the move comes as a shock to many, as Whitmore’s coaching CV only has six National Premier League games with league leaders Seba to its credit. Speculation has been rife in recent times, linking Brazilian René Simoes to the post. However, it is understood that an agreement has been reached in principle between Simoes and the JFF for him to take over the programme in a few week’s time.

Simoes is currently contracted to Brazilian second division outfit Coritiba FBC, which currently commands a four-point lead over their closest rivals in the race for promotion having played one less game. The Brazilian Serie B season comes to a close on November 16, two days before the Reggae Boyz square off against Central American rivals Guatemala.

It is understood that Simoes has asked Captain Burrell to allow him to finish the season and secure promotion with his Brazilian club before taking up duties with the JFF.

In the meantime, Whitmore is relishing the opportunity to further expand his coaching experience and expressed confidence in his abilities.

“This is an opportunity that I cherish and have dreamt about since playing the game at the highest level and even more so, since I started coaching. I think it’s fitting for me and it is an honour to now be coaching at this level,” said Whitmore.

He continued, “I have had the opportunity to be a peer, motivator and role model to the players on this present squad, some I have also played with so I’m looking forward to it. Captain Horace Burrell, Horace Reid and the new JFF have shown that making the right moves at the right time equals World Cup 2010.”

The two-match series is sponsored by telecommunication leader Digicel and will be referred to as the “Digicel International Series”. The matches are considered to be extremely important in the country’s World Cup 2010 qualification push, which officially gets underway next June. It is also hoped to raise the level of support around the national football programme.

Invitations have already been sent to the full complement of the country’s overseas-based players, including Barclay’s Premier League campaigners Ricardo Gardner and Claude Davis. Recently reinstated marksman Marlon King has expressed delight at being able to once again represent his country, but will be forced to miss the two encounters. He is however hoping to feature in future encounters.

JFF boss Captian Horace Burrell made an impassionate rallying plea to local supporters, pointing out that ticket prices have been kept at their lowest possible rate, despite the flurry of stars expected to feature, so that “no one will be left behind.”

Said Burrell, “I am expecting a full house. I am expecting to see people weep with joy. Please let us rise up to the occasion and let us rally around the Reggae Boyz on our way to South Africa 2010. This is the start that we need we can do it. I am confident and my board is confident.”

Digicel’s Group Marketing Manager, Wayne Miller promised an exciting affair for patrons on hand and reiterated his company’s support for the national programme.

“The Reggae Boyz have our 100 percent support as they prepare for the road to South Africa. We hope the chance to play more international games will be a major plus in their training programme and we wish Jamaica the best of luck in the matches ahead,” said Miller.

The Jamaicans will play Guatemala on Sunday November 18 before facing El Salvador three days later at the National Stadium. Tickets for the Grandstand section will be sold for $1,200 and $1,500 while admittance to the bleacher section will cost $500.
    Last edited by Karl; November 12, 2007, 09:56 AM.

I wonder why Tappa did not see it fit to take up the offer by the Boxhill admin to join Bora's team? He seems so passionate about coaching the Boyz, but months ago said no.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

didn't they say that the offer to tappa by the boxhill crew was only made after they got word of Burrel's talk with tappa.

Comment

thats the story.. the youth did not want to get up in politics so him just cool and wait. or else he would be thrown out with the bathwater too.l

Comment

This is the first i am hearing of this. If this were the case, I could understand Tappa's reluctance to join them.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Thats what he told me...
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Should Be Whitmore Now, Bruce Arena Later!!!
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
                didn't they say that the offer to tappa by the boxhill crew was only made after they got word of Burrel's talk with tappa.

If true shows the Captain was on the ball...from the earliest! ...and, Boxhill was taking his lead!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Stop making sense...this is so unlike you...LOL!
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

great decision by burrell to bring tappa into the national program as coach of the senior team... afterall, tappa is the most accomplished footballer jamaica has produced... very intelligent player, has strong command of the game and a lot of experience in professional settings... he has lots to offer the game in jamaica... i view this as a progression from the best and most accomplished player to being a future head coach... it is done throughout the world, where nations recognise their talents and allow for a transfer of knowledge for future development...

another grand move by the captain... knowledge building...
                    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

yow sickko, does this mean you agree that bruce arena should be the next coach...
                      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
                      X