X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observer EDITORIAL: Openness is the watchword, Captain

Openness is the watchword, Captain Burrell

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Jamaican sport, as we have said before on a number of occasions in this space, would hardly be worth mentioning were it not for the hundreds of millions of dollars in support that flows annually from the government and the private sector.

All of which should mean that sporting bodies are accountable and transparent. Hence our disappointment over the refusal by new head of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Captain Horace Burrell to explain the reasons for dismissing the technical director for football, Mr Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic.

We are among those who welcome back the Captain as head of Jamaica's football and salute his phenomenal achievements that led us to an ulikely World Cup final in 1998. But while he has our support, it is not uncritical support.

Captain Burrell told journalists that Mr Milutinovic had been fired with immediate effect "for breach of contract". But while revealing that he and his administration had been guided by a lawyer in arriving at their decision, the Captain refused to explain further.

Said he: "I am not prepared to outline the details, as Mr Bora is a professional and being a senior football administrator and a professional myself, I think it would be inappropriate to divulge the reasons."

We beg to disagree with the good Captain. He may not be able to provide every last detail, but the Jamaican public, who ultimately, one way or the other, is required to cover the cost of Jamaica's football have a right to know - if only in broad terms - what the allegations are that have been brought against Mr Milutinovic. And we need to hear it from the JFF.

Of course, this inclination to secrecy did not start this week with the return to power - after four years - of Captain Burrell and his administration. There appears to be a feeling in the leadership of Jamaica's football that football business is private business. Or at best, that the public should be told only when it is expedient to do so.

For example, we still do not know what was the precise nature of the contract agreed with Mr Milutinovic. And while Jamaicans have heard in the media that his salary was in the region of US$1 million annually, they were never told by the JFF.

This newspaper believes it is appropriate to tell Captain Horace Burrell and his administration that we expect the public to be informed in far more detail of the reasons for terminating Mr Milutinovic's contract and what were the terms of that contract. Our position is not to be construed as defending the coach's honour or suggesting that he did a good job. That's not the point.

We also expect that the public will be informed in detail about the terms and conditions of the contract for the yet-to-be-named replacement coach, so long as any part of the salary package is covered by the public purse.

And Jamaicans will expect to be informed every step of the way as the drive begins to rebuild Jamaica's football. In any event, football will only success if it is built in partnership with the people.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Bora to consider legal action against JFF over sacking

Bora to consider legal action against JFF over sacking
    CMC
    Saturday, November 10, 2007

KINGSTON, Jamaica (CMC) - Less than 24 hours after he was sacked as Jamaica's head coach and technical director, Serbian Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic, has hinted at a possible legal showdown with football authorities here.

The 63-year-old Milutinovic was dismissed for a breach of contract, the Jamaica Football Federation announced Thursday.

However, in an interview with a local radio station, Milutinovic said it was the JFF who was in breach of contract.
    "I can tell it's the federation that breached the contract, based on how they think," the 63-year old contended.
    "I need to analyse my contract and speak with my lawyer."

JFF president, Captain Horace Burrell, elected last Sunday to the top post in local football, said they found clauses in the contract which allowed them to dismiss Milutinovic and said legal advice had been sought before doing so.

"We have in this particular case, in terms of ranking, we have moved from the late 40s to now beyond 100," he added.

"We have failed to qualify the Under-17, Under-20, Olympic teams and our senior team have performed most miserably, putting all that together, wouldn't take a rocket scientist to realise that the performance of coach Bora was, and has been way below what one would have expected, based on the terms of the contract," Burrell said.

The JFF said Thursday they were in the process of arranging a financial settlement, but Milutinovic said he had come to no agreement with his former employers.

"They (didn't) make any negotiation (for a settlement)," Milutinovic said.

Reports in local media had earlier stated it would cost the JFF J$200 million (US$2.8 million) in settlement if Milutinovic was fired, as his contract stated he could only be dismissed if Jamaica failed to reach the World Cup in 2010.

The JFF will announce further details regarding the coaching situation for the friendly internationals against El Salvador and Guatemala on November 18 and 21, respectively.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Observer EDITORIAL Cartoon

Comment

VOXPOP
        published: Saturday | November 10, 2007

Do agree with the Jamaica Football Federation's (JFF) decision to fire former technical director Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic?

Durrant Gordon: "Yes, because he wasn't doing anything for out football. We could have used a local to do what he was doing for a much cheaper price."

Charmaine Rowe: "Yes, he should have been fired a long time ago because it makes no sense we have him here and paying millions of dollars and we are not benefiting from what we are paying him to do. So he should have gone home a long time ago."

Wilfred Brown: "Yes, because I think that he wasn't using our best players out there on the field and this is why our world rankings have gone down so low and so he should have gone a long time ago."

Pete Gaynor: "Yes, because he wasn't performing and performance is what we want in Jamaican football. We want to win and the team is not performing to win, no matter which level they are playing at. So we now need to give a next man a chance to coach the team."

Roger Robinson: "I think it's a very good idea because he is getting US$1million a year and I have never been to a Premier League match nor a schoolboy match and see him there, so that goes to show that he is not doing much for our football. The only time you hear his name called is when people are discussing the amount of money he his receiving and not the amount of work he is doing."

Fernando Douglas: "At this time no. However, I agree that it is a tough administrative decision but when all is said and done, we have to look at the position the JFF is in now in terms of monetary funding and if they can come up with a breakthrough by not paying him for what is owed to him for the rest of the contract period that would be a plus on their side, but in terms of moving forward with the football I would agree with them firing him at this moment."

Comment

Working...
        X