X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wenger: Football Is Everything To Me

10/11/2007 00:23

Wenger: Football Is Everything To Me

You'll usually hear him fielding questions about his players, his opponents or his contract negotiations. But at Friday's press conference Arsène Wenger got onto the topic of his life outside of football. Life outside of football?? - There is no life outside of football!

Everybody knows that Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger is a tactical genius when it comes to football. But what about when there is no football?
    Friday at the Gunners' pre-match press conference, the Frenchman shared that while he doesn't mind giving his players the occasional break, he's not one for taking time off himself.

Always Work To Be Done
    "I don’t need a rest," Wenger told reporters. "I am marathon runner. I am always busy. There is always work to do that we can not do when we play.

"I must say I am quite lost on holiday. But the holiday period is the transfer period so there is always football. I can sit on the beach with my phone and I have met players there. The players are at the beach as well in the summer!

Stress At Work?
    "No one has found a machine to measure the pressure so I don’t know how much damage it does to me compared to somebody else," pondered the Arsenal boss.

"Many people say I am under massive pressure and it is terrible to experience but you cannot measure it to see if it is worse than someone else or not. I keep fit, go to the gym, go running. I do a little everyday. But for me if you are in sport then you are in sport."

Managers Aren't Like Players
    Cesc Fabregas and Alexander Hleb were among those given permission to remain behind as Arsenal travelled to Slavia Prague in midweek.

But Wenger insists that players and managers have very different footballing roles. "The players are under physical stress that I am not. Yes, there is mental stress but I like to be ‘in there’ and keep in."

Chris Williams
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X