• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mourners pay last respects to David Hunt

Mourners pay last respects to David Hunt
    Howard Walker, Observer writer
    walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Friday, November 09, 2007

Georgette Hunt, wife of the late football coach David Hunt, grieves while comforting daughter Amira at the Meadowbrook United Church yesterday. (Photo: Michael Gordon)

JUST AS he did during his lifetime, David "Wagga" Hunt did in death, as he drew a multitude of people to him as hundreds of Jamaicans came to pay their last respects to one of Jamaica's most beloved football coaches.

Hunt, 51, a former national Under-17 coach, was laid to rest at Dovecot Memorial Park after a thanksgiving service at an over-filled Meadowbrook United Church, just a stone's throw across the road from his home on Flemmington Drive.
    So huge was the crowd that two tents were erected on either side of the church with several big screen televisions to accommodate the unfortunate mourners who arrived late.

People from all walks of life poured in to say goodbye to a man who touched their lives in one way or the other.

Hunt, who died of a heart attack on October 27 after collapsing at his home, was paid the highest respect, as the accolades kept pouring in.

In painful and emotional tributes, Hunt was described as a family man, an excellent coach, a business man, a giant among men, unselfish, passionate, multi-faceted, never-say-die, honest and of the utmost integrity.

The list went on and on and would have even continued into today if the mourners had the time.

While the football fraternity, friends and family grieved and could not hold back their tears, some toddlers across the adjoining Meadowbrook Prep school were prancing around in their bright green, yellow and red physical education gears, oblivious to the fact that Jamaica had lost a man who shaped many young lives through football.

Students from his alma mater Kingston College, Calabar High, Meadowbrook, Norman Manley and Jamaica College turned out in their colours and numbers.

Robert Palmer, who captained Calabar to the Manning Cup and all-island Oliver Shield titles in 2005, was inconsolable. Now 18, Palmer had been under Hunt's tutelage since he was 10 years-old, winning numerous titles at the Under-13, 15 and Under-17 levels for his school and Meadhaven Football Club.
    "The last time I spoke to him it was about Economics and he told me it takes a lot of reading. He always tells us to do the right thing. He was like a father, coach and mentor," Palmer told the Observer.

The football dignitaries were also there, from Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president Capt Horace Burrell to past presidents Crenston Boxhill and Tony James and Hunt's mentor and former national coaches Winston Chung-Fah, who flew in from Cayman Islands, and Velibor "Bora" Mulutinovic.

Former Prime Minister and chairman of the Premier League Clubs Association (PLCA), Edward Seaga, and Derrick Smith, the Minister of Security, were also in attendance.

As the tributes flowed, Burrell, who apologised for the absence of the Minister of Sport, Olivia "Babsy" Grange, said Hunt was always a distinctive figure on any football field with his outstanding height and silver beard.

Said Burrell: "But this distinctive look was far from being the only distinguishing feature of this very outstanding Jamaican."

Ambassador Stewart Stephenson, the president of the Kingston and St Andrew Football Association (KSAFA), who worked closely with Hunt, who was his general secretary, could not hold back the tears as he gave his tribute.

Alvin Lue, a close friend of Hunt, said even when Hunt was atop of the football world, he would never forget his friends.
    "He was a caring man. Everybody in the community and the football fraternity knew what kind of person he was. He was not a person to beat up his chest and say, 'I did this and I did that'."

But it was not all sadness as some of the tributes highlighted the humourous side of Hunt, which had the congregation laughing - if only for a few minutes.

Further tributes came from family members, who shared with the mourners their wonderful time with the man they described as a family man and a great philosopher.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

The man was pure class, and he seems to have gotten a befitting send off.

Comment

Some individuals gave the man a very hard time following our exit from the U-17 World Cup qualifications. Some had a problem with his "arrogance".

I guess some wear arrogance better than others.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Some individuals gave the man a very hard time following our exit from the U-17 World Cup qualifications. Some had a problem with his "arrogance".

I guess some wear arrogance better than others.
        David...arrogant?
        He must have changed tremendously since I left Ja?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
        X