• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speid explains JFF debt

Speid explains JFF debt

by Ainsley Walters, Freelance Writer

Rudolph Speid - Andrew Smith photo

RUDOLPH SPEID, former Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) treasurer, yesterday defended his two-year tenure during the Crenston Boxhill administration, insisting the federation made profits for the years 2005 and 2006 but has always been dogged by a working capital deficit inherited from the previous Horace Burrell-led board.

"We inherited a broke federation and it is still broke, although we improved the finances," Speid said, responding to pronouncements from Burrell, who on Sunday regained the presidency of the JFF after delegates abandoned Boxhill.

No opposition
    Burrell, who had no opposition in his presidency bid, afterward said he was "baffled" by the state of the JFF's books which, on preliminary estimates, showed payables at $83.4m and receivables at $27.7m.

"It's incredible that this is so, having heard these revelations of profitability on the radio, television and in the newspapers," the new JFF boss was quoted as saying in yesterday's Gleaner.

Speid, group financial controller/manager of The Gleaner Company Ltd., yesterday said he was not disputing the figures up to October 2007, quoted by the new JFF administration, but pointed out that was not all.
    "I am not saying the figures for debt are inaccurate, except they did not quote all the receivables," he said.

"The JFF did make a profit during the two years I was treasurer," he said, pointing to figures of $17.2m and $16.3m for the years 2005 and 2006, respectively.

"What they can't reconcile is why profit does not equal cash and anybody knows that's not so in accounts," he added.

Speid went on to point out: "The JFF was always in the red after the World Cup year.

"At the financial year of March 1999, we made a profit of $8.8m after earning $127m from the World Cup in 1998 but, in the same breath, we had a working capital deficit of $36.6m.
    "That's current assets minus liabilities. Payables were $79.2m against receivables of $42.6m," he pointed out.

Speid produced audited documents showing that in his second year, due to profits generated during his tenure, the JFF's working capital deficit was gradually reduced, from $28.8m in 2005 to $17.9m at December 2006.
    "That's coming from $36.6m in 1999," he said. "Therefore, whatever payables are now on the books, some were carried forward from the previous administration," he explained, pointing to a loan of $15m owed to Burrell, which the Boxhill-led board said it was unable to pay.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

So how comes we owe England FA and we make Seven Million profit offa the England tour?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

This won't stop the current administration from hauling the lot of them thru the mud. Memories are short and agendas abound.

Speid better get used to doing this every other week!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Really...aren't you one of those who were cheering to see the back of Crenston and his cronies?
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Well, I wasn't cheering, but it was clear that the last admin failed. Royally, too!

I am certainly not happy to see how Burrell has re-ascended to the throne. He seems vindictive, bitter, and revengeful.

Nothing really has changed with me. I am for JAMAICA'S FOOTBALL.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Rudy Spied is a victim as he tried to put things back on track after two years he was brought in but repair thing but the goal post kept moving, without him we would have been further up the creek.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

yeah the problem here is transparency. They preached it and lied about the financial viability of the program saying all was well.

Comment

I don't think so, OJ. I have been hearing about the debt for a while now. Maybe the news media (instigated by persons, perhaps) chose to dwell on the profits until the change of admin, then all of a sudden is nutten but debt.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Boxhill and company were very evasive about it to say the least.

As you pointed out that Rudy pointed it out at least once but for three years they made no reference and at one stage saying they were getting ready to get rid of the death.

Comment

Not true, assasin. Simply not true. Just because the media may choose not to report does not mean it never happened.

Anyway, my words won't change anyone's mind. Mi dun wid dis.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

whether it is the death he tried to get rid of or the debt, he would be hauled and dragged thru the mud even if the JFF wa sin the black today..like unnu nuh see wha deh gwaan
                      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

lol... funny sickko... just imagine the death of debt... anywayz, lass nite one a good fren who in de know tell mi suppen bout this...
                        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
                        X