Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy, Burrell, easy-Observer West Column

Easy, Burrell, easy

No one doubted newly elected Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president, Horace Burrell would hit the ground running in his effort to resuscitate Jamaica’s flagging football fortunes.

Jamaica’s football, which reached its highest levels under Burrell between 1995 and 2000, including qualifying for the FIFA World Cup Finals in France in 1998, sunk to new depths under Crenston Boxhill and nothing but strong leadership and tough decision making is necessary if we are to get back any semblance of decency.

Burrell’s haste in getting rid of Technical Director Bora Milutinovic and replacing him with Rene Simoes within two days of returning to office is some cause for alarm and hopefully it is not a sign of things to come.
    Sporting Edge still believes Bora is the best coach for Jamaica right now and the least the new Burrell administration could have done is seek to work out a deal with him, maybe reducing his hefty salary.

If the JFF’s coffers is as bare as we were told on Tuesday, how come there will be two friendly internationals in the next two weeks? Where will this money come from to host two countries? I hope the new JFF is not digging itself into a deeper financial hole in its rush to return international football to the country.

There is also a lot of celebration with the expected return of Simoes to Jamaica and former FIFA referee Peter Prendergast was heard on one radio sports talk show welcoming back “the little magician from Brazil”. I guess like many others, Peter’s memory is very short, or he chose to ignore the failures under Simoes.

Maybe the qualification to France overshadowed everything, for we seem to have forgotten that Simoes basically walked away from the job after a series of failures, while advising the JFF and the government how best to spend money instead of investing in foreign coaches.
    He then went to Trinidad and Iran with very little, if any, success before turning up with the Brazil female Olympic team, then a second division club team. Hardly worthy of the résumé of a coach that took a minnow to the World Cup and won a game.

One gets the feeling however that Simoes’ return is a done deal and all we can do is hope he can recapture the magic he did in his first stint. After all, regardless of how we feel about his abilities as a coach, we have to support the national programme.

Sadly, not a whole lot has changed in the infrastructure of the club system since Rene was last here and he will be faced with the same obstacles as back then. We had heard in 1994 when he arrived that he would be putting in place a blueprint for sustained growth and development.

We were still waiting for that blueprint when he left.
    With the qualification for the 2010 World Cup set to start in June, it is hardly likely that there will be time for any holistic overhaul of the Jamaican local football product.

Interesting.

HoraceBurrl
    Last edited by Karl; November 8, 2007, 12:37 PM.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Yes, it would be interesting to hear what Simoes thinks of our progress since he left our shores. How has schoolboy football improved? The premier league? Infrastructure? Coaches? The JFF?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

As the article said, we are still waiting for the blue print he was supposed to have left, but he has no interest in schoolboys football, he did say it was a waste of time.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Yes keep waiting; that is our mentality
        that Garvey spoke about it. We need to be constantly spoon fed (like babies). The man came and coached; why didn't someone try to LEARN from him instead of constantly criticizing and finding faults?

Comment

Stop being an idiot. Or you think people learn by osmosis. His job title was TD not coach- not sure when it changed. The man made a promise and never delivered, he said himself that going to the WC was like building a house from the roof down as there was no infrastructure to support it- or are you going to say he never said that or try to re-interpret it?

Dont forget, he was the one who packed his bags and left and in departing he told us what to go do with our money.

This one will not end as nice and I can bet you right now he will be run by Captain.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
            ... but he has no interest in schoolboys football, he did say it was a waste of time.
            I have to agree with him there.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

And we should all remember that he was upset when his salary was made public. Is he going to strike a deal with the Captain and insist the details be kept under the cover again?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Despite his claim for transparency, dont be surprised if Burrell tells the nation that he does not feel comfortable disclosing a man's salary. he did it before, he will do it again.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

Relative to INT'L football
                  the Prof. is right but relative to sunday evening entertainmenta nd feel good among friends he is wrong.

Comment

The man was here for years, yet no one
                    was able to learn from him. The Prof. was able to coach our young and senior team, in order to achieve results. I guess he spoke in one language to Tappa et al and a next around the local coaches.

The local experts were too busy tring to show him their extensive "knowledge" of the game (which was really centered around high school soccer). I too would get fustrated and leave.

Comment

sickko... when did simoes say schoolboy 'football was a waste of time'... i think you are reporting out of context... its one thing to have a personal disagreement with a person's philosophy and their abilities and everyone, including you, is entitled to voice opposition and concerns about the qualifications of that individual... its an entirely different matter to attribute incorrect statements, made out out of context to support a personal viewpoint... that is cheap and disingenuous...
                      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

I see we are going to make a point about schoolboy football and Simoes. I brought it up simply because I know Simoes use to watch every type of foobtall in Jamaica. I just wondered if he would have noticed a difference. Wasn't trying to say that he had any significant interest in it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well, nothing has chnaged. Are we to expect that he will again "get fustrated and leave"?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

No Jawge, youv wrong (so whats new?) Dean Weatherly, Jackie Walters and Walter Gama coached the Under 17 to the WC and then Simoes came in and messed things up.

Bertis and his staff coached the Under 20s to the WC and then Simoes came in again and did the same thing.

Think about this...we qualified two teams to youth WCs and came away with one goal, and it came form a 5-1 loss to Argentina in the Under 20s.
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

I was at a function to honour the Reggae Boyz at Sandals MoBay and in his presentation, Simoes (and it was reported in the Gleaner) said our schoolboys football system was a waste of time and the JFF should scrap it and instead put in a youth club system.

Simoes had very little tolerance for what he did not know or did not agree with and that was what led him to down play the Caribbean Cup when he said when he was in the Emirates all he heard about with the Confed Gold Cup.

Unless you have facts to counter this please dont waste my time.
                              Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                              X