RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Bruce Arena be headed to Jamaica ? coincidence ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Bruce Arena be headed to Jamaica ? coincidence ?

The Red Bulls and Arena Part Ways
    Mike Stobe/Getty Images for the New York Red Bulls
    Under Bruce Arena, the Red Bulls twice lost in the first round of the playoffs.

function getSharePasskey() { return 'ex=1352091600&en=759330be4c5783d5&ei=5124';}funct ion getShareURL() { return encodeURIComponent('http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/06/sports/soccer/06redbulls.html');}function getShareHeadline() { return encodeURIComponent('The Red Bulls and Arena Part Ways');}function getShareDescription() { return encodeURIComponent('Bruce Arena was dismissed as coach Monday after he failed to take the Red Bulls beyond the first round of the Major League Soccer playoffs.');}function getShareKeywords() { return encodeURIComponent('Soccer,New York Red Bulls,Major League Soccer,Bruce Arena');}function getShareSection() { return encodeURIComponent('sports');}function getShareSectionDisplay() { return encodeURIComponent('Sports / Soccer');}function getShareSubSection() { return encodeURIComponent('soccer');}function getShareByline() { return encodeURIComponent('By JACK BELL');}function getSharePubdate() { return encodeURIComponent('November 6, 2007');} writePost();

By JACK BELL
    Published: November 6, 2007
    Bruce Arena, the man the Red Bulls were desperate to hire as coach but who failed to take the club beyond the first round of the M.L.S. playoffs, is leaving the team after 15 months in charge.
    Skip to next paragraph

News and features from around the world of soccer and the Web.
    Go to the Goal Blog »

More on Soccer

After a meeting yesterday with Marc de Grandpre, the team’s managing director, the two men decided it was “best for us to part ways.”
    “With the mountain of resources that Red Bull has committed, we expect results quickly,” de Grandpre said during a conference call. “I think a combination of things happened during the season. He left by mutual agreement. We agreed that this is the right decision for the club and for Bruce Arena.”
    During the conference call, de Grandpre seemed to offer conflicting reasons for Arena’s departure. At one point, de Grandpre said it would take time to turn around the Red Bulls, then said seconds later that “we expect to win quickly.”
    During Arena’s tenure, the team compiled a 16-16-10 record, which included two first-round playoff exits. The Red Bulls were 12-11-7 this season and finished third in the Eastern Conference. Arena still had two years remaining on a guaranteed contract worth $1.2 million a year.
    De Grandpre said the club would immediately begin a worldwide search for Arena’s successor, and Red Bull, the energy-drink company based in Salzburg, Austria, is likely to hire a European coach. The Italian Fabio Capello, who led Real Madrid to the Spanish league title last season but was dismissed in June, is a possibility.
    Arena said in a statement released by the club, “Marc and I discussed the direction of the team and decided mutually that this was the best move for Red Bull New York.” Arena was otherwise unavailable to comment, and calls to several Red Bulls players seeking comment were not returned. “I wish the organization the best of luck going forward,” he said in the statement.
    Arena, who was also the Red Bulls’ sporting director, was the ninth coach in the 12-year history of the franchise. The team has advanced past the first round of the playoffs once.
    “I understand that there’s been numerous coaches throughout the team’s history,” de Grandpre said. “But I’m only responsible for one. Yes, stability is important.”
    He said the team would not allow the same person to be the coach and the sporting director, which is in effect the general manager. For now, Jeff Agoos, the team’s head of scouting, who played for Arena in college at Virginia and with the United States national team, will be the sporting director and organize matters ahead of the league’s expansion draft later this month.
    The Red Bulls completed their first full season under Arena on Saturday, when they were eliminated from the playoffs by New England after a 1-0 loss in the two-game, home-and-away, total-goals series. During the game, Arena was often shown by Fox Soccer Channel screaming at game officials in expletive-laced tirades that could not be heard by viewers but that could easily be understood by lip reading.
    At the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea, Arena took the United States to the quarterfinals, losing to Germany. He joined the Red Bulls early in the summer of 2006 after the United States was eliminated from the World Cup in Germany after the first round. His contract with the United States Soccer Federation was not renewed, (he was replaced by Bob Bradley, who worked as an assistant for Arena at D.C. United in the late 1990s) and Red Bull, which had just fired Mo Johnston as coach, pounced. The team gave Arena near carte blanche to remake the team.
    He churned a generally underachieving roster and brought in several of his former players — John Harkes, Richie Williams and Agoos — as assistant coaches and scouting director.
    With the benefit of the designated player slot (a player who can be signed for more than the league’s maximum salary of nearly $300,000), Arena brought in Claudio Reyna (who had played for him in college at Virginia and with the national team) and the Colombian striker Juan Pablo Ángel.
    The Red Bulls had two designated players after Arena traded midfielder Amado Guevara to Chivas USA for that team’s slot.
    Other moves — like the signing of the 34-year-old Dutch goalkeeper Ronald Waterreus — raised eyebrows.
    When de Grandpre was asked about the quick turnaround in Chicago, where Juan Carlos Osorio became the coach in July and has led the Fire to the Eastern Conference final, he said, “I think it just goes to show that with the right chemistry and teacher on the bench, you can change things around fairly quickly.”

who got the la job..

Comment

Scaly, I think you are
      working too hard today. You must be very tired, rest up a little.

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
        who got the la job..
        No one yet but believe it or not they are talking bout Murinho and Capello.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaly View Post
          No one yet but believe it or not they are talking bout Murinho and Capello.
          ... not only for the LA job. A coworker asked if there is any truth to any of those you mentioned along with Lippi coming to the Red Bulls. I asked him which team the Red Bulls playing against cause there is no way him can be serious.

OJ, there is speculation that Steve McClaren interviewed for the LA job over the weekend.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Them a go fi big European coaches and that won't work with the MLS, different league and totally different rules from Europe, It going to be culture shock.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I would welcome him....no joke
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

I think he would be good for Jamaica.
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Some one very familiar with CONCACAF and its ins and outs and who also speaks the languages of the region....
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

Not only that. We tend not to give the Americans credit for their ability to employ tactics and strategies and get the results they want from games. I think Arena could come in and mold the team into a unit which would play with descipline. They may even resort to thr mechanical type ball we blame the USA of playing, but at least they would be able to get the results they want.

Anyway, I am satisfied with Simoes back at the helm.
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Do the Reggae Boyz like to play defensive. Most or almost all of the MLS teams play counterattack football even DC United.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                        Not only that. We tend not to give the Americans credit for their ability to employ tactics and strategies and get the results they want from games. I think Arena could come in and mold the team into a unit which would play with descipline. They may even resort to thr mechanical type ball we blame the USA of playing, but at least they would be able to get the results they want.

Anyway, I am satisfied with Simoes back at the helm.
                        I find it intriguing...Bruce would have us do one thing - PLAY TEAM! ...and, I would bet you that with the technical ability of our players we would beat the USA...and, posiible Mexico.

I would bet a $1,000.00 with Bruce we would beat the USA!
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                          They may even resort to thr mechanical type ball we blame the USA of playing, but at least they would be able to get the results they want.
                          Can we be more mechanical than when Simoes was coach? Not possible!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                          X