RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reflections on a schoolboy match...but, much more than that!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflections on a schoolboy match...but, much more than that!

Calabar, David Hunt and Walker Cup
    published: Tuesday | November 6, 2007

Devon Dick
    The great Calabar High School has done it again. Last week Friday, the football team defeated Jamaica College (JC) to lift the Walker Cup trophy, symbol of the best knock-out schoolboy football team in the Corporate Area. They did it in 1974, when I was a member of Calabar High School.

Calabar, under the coaching of David Hunt, a Kingston College old boy, was fast becoming a football powerhouse to match its well known exploits in track and field. Under the guidance of David, Calabar won the Manning Cup and for the first time won the Olivier Shield. It was therefore, fitting tribute that manager Homer Morgan, new coach, Lijyasu Simms and the footballers dedicated the victory to their beloved and respected coach, David Hunt.

The match was not the best schoolboy football match I have watched. That honour belongs to the Calabar vs Clarendon College (CC) match in the 1970s. We drew with CC in Chapelton and we went to the National Stadium with high hopes. However, led by Lenny 'Teacher' Hyde, now coach of Harbour View, we got a fine lesson in playing total football. I have not since seen a schoolboy dominate a football match as Lenny Hyde. Neither have I seen a schoolboy team play better.

Emotional maturity
    However, what this year's Walker Cup Champions lacked in class, they made up with sheer grit, emotional maturity and finishing power. To ask teenagers to play football matches so soon after the death of their coach was asking a bit much. That they did it and won showed supernatural power. To be honest a 3-0 margin flattered Calabar.

As saw it, JC had more of the ball possession.
    However, JC lacked the finishing power. Calabar was strong in defence and the goalkeeper was assured most times. And captain Cleyon Brown was a marvel with a hat trick of goals. It was really a fitting tribute to David.

In the late '70s, I used to visit the home of the Hunts frequently because my cousins, the Robinsons, were close friends of theirs. But strangely, I did not associate the white-haired and bearded David Hunt with his parents. But I admired David as the coach of Calabar.

My admiration grew even more, when, as the under 17 coach, David provided insightful analysis of the game, without berating his players, even when he lost. David had a masters degree in finance, which he never used in the financial sector but instead channelled his analytical mind on the field of play.

What a man
    David has the distinction of being the only coach to have led a Jamaican football team to victory over a U.S.A. football team. Nevertheless, he resigned as coach after that feat because his team failed to qualify for the World Cup. He honoured his word to resign if his team did not qualify. What a man!

He did not appear to be in football for fame and fortune. In fact, the Walker Cup final match showed boys who were playing a game for the love of the game.

On Saturday, TVJ, in doing a profile on Captain Horace Burrell, said that after he lost the JFF presidency, he did not attend a football match for four years at the National Stadium involving the Reggae Boyz. I hope that example will not be followed by Boxhill. The example of David Hunt is worthy of emulation by the football fraternity.

Calabar honoured the memory of David Hunt in the manner they played and won the Walker Cup final.

Rev. Devon Dick is pastor of Boulevard Baptist Church and author of "Rebellion to Riot: the Church in Nation Building".
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X