• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boyz's next international friendly details within 48 hours

Boyz's next international friendly details within 48 hours, says JFF boss
    Howard Walker, Observer writer
    walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Captain Horace Burrell (left) addresses members of staff shortly after his arrival at the offices of the JFF yesterday. Accompanying Captain Burrell (from left) are first vice-president Dale Spencer; third vice-president Raymond Anderson and treasurer Gary Sinclair. (Photo: Lionel Rookwood)

Within the next 48 hours Jamaica will know which team the Reggae Boyz will be playing at the Office in a couple weeks, Jamaica Football Federation's (JFF) president, Captain Horace Burrell, told the Observer yesterday.

Captain Burrell, in his first day at work at his New Kingston office, said he will be meeting with some investors and an announcement will be forthcoming shortly.

Said Burrell: "We will be meeting with some interests today (Monday), who want to partner with the Jamaica Football Federation in seeking out international football. There are two friendly international dates on November 18 and the 21 and within the next 48 hours, I will be making some announcements as it relates to International Friendlies at the Office. We intend to rekindle all the sparks in making the National Stadium the office once again."

Jamaica have not played a game since their 1-8 mauling away to Iran in early July, and several international football dates have blown by since.
    During Jamaica's successful run to the 1998 World Cup Finals in France, the Reggae Boyz played a plethora of International Friendlies while turning the National Stadium (The Office) into a fortress.

That was the platform on which Captain Burrell galvanised his team and got the entire Jamaican populace behind the football programme.

Jamaica's 2010 World Cup campaign to South Africa starts next year and the JFF will have their hands full in getting the Reggae Boyz train up to full speed.

When Captain Burrell demitted office in 2003, Jamaica were ranked 46 and even reached an all-time high of 27 in August 1998. Now four years after, he is in charge of a team now ranked 103rd with a lot of work to do before World Cup qualifiers start next year.

Jamaica have plummeted down the world ranking mainly because of poor performances and a lack of games over the last year or so.
    This inactivity has seen the Reggae Boyz slumped to their lowest ranking ever in the world, just behind Namibia (101) and ahead of Libya (104) after starting the year at 57.

Jamaica are now the seventh-ranked team in the Caribbean behind Cuba (64), Haiti (68), St Vincent and The Grenadines (73), Trinidad and Tobago (78), Guyana (92) and Barbados (93).

"We have to start dominating the Caribbean again. You have teams like St Vincent and Guyana ahead of us," remarked Captain Burrell.
    He continued: "Once there is confidence in an administration the support will come."
    Last edited by Karl; November 6, 2007, 11:58 AM.
    President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

What a difference a leader makes? Football again!!!
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

It is my understanding that the previous administration was hesitant to host games as it has been proven many times even under Burrell that the Federation loses more than it makes from the endeavors.

Regardless of the feel good emotions from Sunday, I am willing to go on record to say any games this month will be a loss to the JFF, money wise.

The JFF books also show that the Gala ground breaking ceremony for the Academy in Portmore also cost the JFF a lot of money.

OK, HL and RF- you have the right to call m a hater and bad mind.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

I agree with you Sickko (and that doesn't happen too often). Any match held during this month at the stadium will inevitably be a financial loss to the JFF. However, the Captain has to get the ball rolling again even if these matches will be more for "show" than anything else. But what it will do is renew corporate interest into the program. What i do hope though is that the Captain will think hard before he "lends" the JFF anymore money, and if he does so, make the terms and conditions public.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Even a broken clock is right twice a day by accident...
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

And any businessman will tell you that you have to take risks in business, and they will also tell you that not everything you put your hand to will return profits 1005 of the time. Now you see how much of a fearless leader burrell is. This is what our football has been missing for the past 4 years.
            President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
              Regardless of the feel good emotions from Sunday, I am willing to go on record to say any games this month will be a loss to the JFF, money wise.
              You are possibly right! ...but, it need not be so.

How long would it take to organise all tickets to be sold by entities outside of the JFF? (I am saying too often JFF operatives report losses on ticket sales for various reasons).

How long will it take to get an entity to underwrite the enter cost such that all income from advertising (other advertising), media rights, ticket sales, etc. accrue to the JFF....and, from such a 'standpoint' represent 'profits'?

The RBSC has been advocating for yeeeeeeeeeeeeears that the JFF not have its officers and operatives involved in ticket sales for matches. History has proven that that JFF officers/operatives handling sales has allowed vast sums to disappear!

Last report instance referenced -
              http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/editoria...?val=the&id=96
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

and how many of these businessmen who throw good money after bad for an extended period stay in business very long...dont forget that Burrell left a $60Million hole in the JFF books when he left in 2003.

Does that make him a good business man or a reckless one? And to make it worst he is being reckless with other people's money not his.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

Sikko, yuh did really want Boxhill stay? Even with the rapid downward spiral of our football due to his incompetence. I can understand if you have a personal vendetta against Burrel but bredda, u playa hate the man so much that you would rather see our football continue going down with Boxhill as long as Burrel dont come back? You need to put your personal feelings aside and realize that Jamaica's football is the important thing here. There was no way we could recover with Boxhill. The man all say him neva want play friendly a stadium because it would cost too much. Yuh crazy don?

Comment

Well, Einstein once said the ones that got us in this mess won't be the ones to get us out of it. Sickko and man like Jawge need to comprehend that.
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lionpaw View Post
                      Sikko, yuh did really want Boxhill stay? Even with the rapid downward spiral of our football due to his incompetence. I can understand if you have a personal vendetta against Burrel but bredda, u playa hate the man so much that you would rather see our football continue going down with Boxhill as long as Burrel dont come back? You need to put your personal feelings aside and realize that Jamaica's football is the important thing here. There was no way we could recover with Boxhill. The man all say him neva want play friendly a stadium because it would cost too much. Yuh crazy don?
                      well said Lionpaw,this bredda always a back some ole forth.

Comment

and how many of these businessmen who throw good money after bad
                        How so?
                        ...what is the reasoning that sponsoring JFF football is throwing good money after bad?
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Guh whey with that idiot line of thinking- if you cant come with better argument dont even bother.

haven't I been on record from last year saying Boxhill has lost his way, the problem with people like you is that you are stuck in a rut and hopelessly start struck.

I notice you have the Portmore crest as your avatar so I can understand where you coming from but thank God neither Horace Reid nor Horace Burrell chupid like you.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

since I need to dumb it down for you, can we afford a friendly against El Salvador right now, or another team ranked in the 100s like us?

I know we have been starved for national football but who will fork over the expected high fees to go watch a game that will no doubt also feature members of the Under 23 team?

You seem to forget the number of times cost to watch games were raised.
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

since I need to dumb it down for you, can we afford a friendly against El Salvador right now, or another team ranked in the 100s like us?

I know we have been starved for national football but who will fork over the expected high fees to go watch a game that will no doubt also feature members of the Under 23 team?

You seem to forget the number of times cost to watch games were raised.
                              mmmm?
                              We'll see!

Comment

Working...
                              X