X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $200 million to fire ‘Bora’

$200 million to fire ‘Bora’

By André Lowe

It could cost the new Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) administration in excess of $213 million if it is to go through with its reported plan to terminate under fire Serbian coach Velibor ‘Bora’ Milutinovic, because of the glaring absence of a “buy out” clause in his contract.

Details of the massive US$1 million-a-year contract revealed that there is no provision of a buyout clause, as is customary with agreements of a similar nature. The only detailed grounds for Milutinovic’s dismissal are; first and foremost, failure to qualify for the 2010 FIFA World Cup finals, insanity and a neglect of duties, which speaks to inexplicable absences.
    The agreement also allows Milutinovic up to three weeks time off at a “convenient time” subject to the approval of the JFF president. This it is understood, can be at any amount of time for the year.

Milutinovic was unveiled as coach of the Jamaican team in November 2006, on a four year US$1 million contract to much fanfare. The government and several private sector companies are jointly funding the contract.

However, a string of poor performances – resulting in the nation’s plummeting in the FIFA world rankings – and an appearance of nonchalance on the part of the Gulliver-like tactician, have led to whispers of a possible sack and the sensational return of World Cup 1998 hero Rene Simoes.

The Sunday Herald also understands that crunch meetings will be held at some point during the next two weeks between returned JFF boss Captain Horace Burrell and Milutinovic, to discuss the direction of the senior squad and the details of his contract.

n the meantime Simoes, who was recently paired with the Bermudan and Canadian national teams, has recently come out publicly denying any interest in those posts in a move that some pundits have interpreted as an indication that he is paving the way for a return to the Jamaican bench.

Captain Burrell convinced the Brazilian to take control of the Jamaican team in 1994 on an $8 million-a-year contract. Simoes – who is currently finishing up a season with Brazilian Série B leaders Coritiba Football Club – led the Jamaicans to their first and only FIFA World Cup berth in 1998 before surprisingly stepping down two years later.

e went on to coach Caribbean rivals Trinidad and Tobago before leading the Brazilian women’s team to a silver medal at 2004 Olympics. He was also at the helm of the Iranian Olympic team.

Burrell has chosen his words carefully in regards to his plans for the Serbian but has however promised “sweeping changes” and “bold moves”, hinting at a possible change at the helm in the technical department.

A key member of the Crenston Boxhill-led team that negotiated Bora’s contract, speaking in anonymity, revealed to the Sunday Herald that unless a mutual termination agreement is reached between both parties, Bora’s removal could prove costly for the new administration, should they move to take that route. The other available option is for the JFF to pay off the entire value of the two remaining years of Bora’s contract, which amounts to approximately $213 million

Copyright © 2005 Sunday Herald. All rights reserved
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    $200 million to fire ‘Bora’

By André Lowe

It could cost the new Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) administration in excess of $213 million if it is to go through with its reported plan to terminate under fire Serbian coach Velibor ‘Bora’ Milutinovic, because of the glaring absence of a “buy out” clause in his contract.

Copyright © 2005 Sunday Herald. All rights reserved
    Sounds unreal...doesn't it? Who in the JFF in sound mind would accept any such contract prepared on the JFF's behalf for presentation to an employee/coach?

...but, then again...what if such a contract was prepared with the JFF individual or individuals very much of sound mind? ...i.e. deliberately wanted such a contract as it was in that individual or those individuals interest so to do?

Things like this make you go...mmmm?
    If a-suh - Wonder if there was a genetically connected 'agent' in on this 'deal'?

I wonder if there was also a signing-on bonus? If so would the agent and any genetically connected person be due a part of that signing-on bonus and sharing the spoils/commission with any other person or persons?

Unreal to box-cova?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Well lets see some action from the senior team. Friendlies, etc etc
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I said it from the getgo, and I've maintained my stance since he signed the contract, that Crenston and the JFF fumbled the ball on acquiring Bora. As I stated in another post yesterday, it was smart going after Bora but signing him for that staggering amount was preposterous! Now hearing that unlimited 3-week-vacations was also penciled in the contract, makes me think that some real jokers were running the JFF. Disappointing!! After so much was expected of them given their pre-election manifesto!

Well, if we're left with no recourse then we just swallow the spit and hope for the best.
        "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
          I said it from the getgo, and I've maintained my stance since he signed the contract, that Crenston and the JFF fumbled the ball on acquiring Bora. As I stated in another post yesterday, it was smart going after Bora but signing him for that staggering amount was preposterous! Now hearing that unlimited 3-week-vacations was also penciled in the contract, makes me think that some real jokers were running the JFF. Disappointing!! After so much was expected of them given their pre-election manifesto!

Well, if we're left with no recourse then we just swallow the spit and hope for the best.
          We are where we are...so?
          Let us see - proof of the pudding is in the eating - what The Captain plans are!

Comment

The Captain will work it out.

Chussss mi!
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
              The Captain will work it out.

Chussss mi!
              Like you, I am banking on The Captain!

Comment

When you consider that the JFF had other options (John Barnes and the other Brazilian guy, not Simoes), how is it they allowed Bora to get such a good deal? Them mussi did frighten fi Bora or Bora had a hell of a agent to negotiate for him.

The Captain will have to pull on all his management skills to steer us out of this one. It would seem as if this Boxhill experiment has done more damage to our football than we originally thought.
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                  When you consider that the JFF had other options (John Barnes and the other Brazilian guy, not Simoes), how is it they allowed Bora to get such a good deal? Them mussi did frighten fi Bora or Bora had a hell of a agent to negotiate for him.

The Captain will have to pull on all his management skills to steer us out of this one. It would seem as if this Boxhill experiment has done more damage to our football than we originally thought.
                  I was told there shall be more revelations in the days ahead.

Comment

so what about gross negligence...?

what about the team dropping to its worst ranking under Bora's stewardship...isn't that negligence of the coaching staff?

What about the trashing given to us by the Asian teams, when we had the potential to do much better if a more experienced team was taken...wouldnt that be seen as negligence tooo

What we need is more details on his contract and not this superficial data

Comment

I sure hope if all else fails, those in Jamaica can convince him to leave under a mutual understanding.

Those against him should get vocal about it to let him know he is not welcomed in our country.

Man...he played the HELL out of us!

We truly got pimped!

Comment

that salary is ridiculous whether or not he took unlimited 3-week vacations.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Bora cannot be blamed for the Boyz not getting any games. Isn't it proof enough that Boxhill was responsible for putting pen to paper to make whatever arranged friendlies by Bora was ironclad, like his contract.

Think about this forumites: Bora's first assignment with the U-23 Reggae Boyz was winning the Lunar Cup. Now the JFF and Jamaicans were jumping for joy so Boxhill quickly put pen to paper when Bora came and talked about an Asian tour for the U-23s immediately. Now when the Asian tour ended in disaster a huge backlash followed which gave Boxhill cold feet about playing another friendly too soon.

My solution is to let Bora play out his contract. What's the worst that can happen. Simoes did fail too. And as Bora pointed out; Jamica's Reggae Boyz will be his greatest challenge. So let him have his chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                            The agreement also allows Milutinovic up to three weeks time off at a “convenient time” subject to the approval of the JFF president. This it is understood, can be at any amount of time for the year.
                            What the hell is this fool talking bout?

Comment

Working...
                            X