Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here on Facebook? Big SidEEE!!! weekend

Big SidEEE!!!
    The score shall be an Arsenal 3-1 victory, since we are healthy with just RvP our big striker missing, ohh and Senderos

Rack em

Referee
    • Howard Webb

Match Report

Barclays Premier League

Emirates Stadium

Saturday, November 03, 2007, 12.45pm

Arsenal

-

Manchester Utd

-

By Richard Clarke
    The pinnacle game of the Premier League season has re-discovered its meaning.
    In the estimate of Arsène Wenger, fixtures between Arsenal and Manchester United have been on sabbatical for the past two years while his side have re-grouped.
    For almost a decade these games shaped the seasons of English football’s two predominant teams. But, at the same time as Chelsea emerged to interrupt their duopoly a couple of seasons ago, Arsenal title-credentials began to slip.
    However Manchester United awoke revitalised last term to take the title. Likewise, Arsenal’s alarm clock roused them with a start in August. They have been unbeaten all season but it is worth noting only lead Sir Alex Ferguson’s side by the smallest margin — goals scored — albeit with a game in hand.
    To show the lack of importance of this fixture last term, Wenger’s side did the double over Manchester United and yet finished 21 points adrift of the champions in the table.
    On the evidence of the season so far, it is hard to see there being much more than a cigarette paper between the sides. Their meeting on Saturday WILL be important this term — in the minds of the two teams as much the table. That is why Wenger was looking forward to a renewing of hostilities (though not in the tabloid sense).
    "This game dropped off from the top for two years because we were not good enough,” he said at a candid press conference on Friday. “And of course I missed it highly.
    “I don't put the effort in to finish fourth. I want to win the League and at the moment this game is back to its tradition. In the last 10 years a lot of these games were the decider for the title.
    “Of course the commitment in these kinds of games are always very high, but the characteristics of the players are a little bit different. Maybe we are both more technical than a few years ago but a little bit less physical.”
    Arsenal’s only absentees are Robin van Persie (knee) and Philippe Senderos (back) who have been missing for the past four games. They are unlikely to be back until the end of the month. Therefore Wenger will select from the same squad that brought back a fine point from Anfield last Sunday.
    If you believe the English newspapers, an enmity was established between the sides when they were jostling for top spot. But that has dissipated more towards respect in the past couple of seasons.
    “Enemies is a big word,” said Wenger when the notion was put to him. “I don't know Ferguson well enough to say that I am friends with him. But I respect him for what he has done, and for what he is doing in the job. That's it.
    “Sometimes, the atmosphere was hotter and the climate was a bit warmer. You could always handle things more differently, and just sit back and do nothing.
    “I feel the papers also have a responsibility to heat it up as much as possible before the game, but I feel the managers have a responsibility to make first a football game.
    “What is important is that tomorrow is a good football game and that we win. All the rest is less important.”
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...w-kit-0708.gif the wisdom and courage of my mind and the strength and vigour of my body", to enable them to enjoy a better life. I ask God's blessings on our nation. I ask for His guidance on the government that I will lead as we face the challenges of the future. I know that we can't even walk without Him holding our hands. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aa20b58a33.gif

Top-of-the-table BPL clash

Carlos Tevez has partnered with Wayne Rooney to score nine goals in the past five games for Manchester United. - Reuters

LONDON (Reuters)
    Arsenal claimed a rare league double over Manchester United last season yet finished 21 points behind the champions.

The Londoners will no doubt hope anything they get from tomorrow's lunchtime showdown at the Emirates Stadium will count for a little more in the final reckoning this time.

Arsenal won 1-0 at Old Trafford in September 2006 and 2-1 at Highbury in January, both secured by late goals from Emmanuel Adebayor and Thierry Henry respectively.

Henry has moved on to Barcelona, but fears that Arsenal would collapse without him have proved well wide of the mark as they have made a flying start to the season on all fronts.

Unbeaten in the league, they are level with United on 26 points, both with a goal difference of plus 15, though United have played a game more.
    Arsenal's unbeaten run was under pressure at Anfield last week, but Cesc Fabregas grabbed a late equaliser as Arsene Wenger's side yet again showed the mental strength that has seen them turn around so many lost causes.

WENGER DELIGHTED

Cesc Fabregas has matured as Arsenal's playmaker since the departure of Thierry Henry. - Reuters
    Their tendency to over-elaborate, much in evidence last season, was again partly to blame for just one goal at Anfield, but Wegner is delighted by the way many of his young side have stepped up a level since the departure of all-powerful Henry.

Fabregas is quickly developing into a master midfielder and has already scored 10 goals, while Adebayor, often a frustrated squad member in previous seasons, is revelling in his new-found responsibility and has six to his name, all in the league.

"I hope we have convinced a few more people that we have the quality to compete for the championship," said Wenger, whose League Cup side beat Sheffield United 3-0 in midweek.

United boss Alex Ferguson, who enjoyed some memorable duels with Arsenal before Chelsea emerged as his major opponent, said this week that the north London side's inexperience would not necessarily count against them.

"I know challenging for the title is a new experience for a lot of their players but some of them have been there before and the manager has, which is a big help," Ferguson said.

"People said the same about us last year but we led the league for three quarters of the season so I don't think it's a handicap."
    Ferguson, unsurprisingly, is also pretty happy with his own team's progress, particularly the developing partnership up front between Wayne rooney and Carlos Tevez, who have scored nine goals between them in the last five games.

"Everything is coming together in good time to take on Arsenal in what could be a key match in our title defence," he said.

Chelsea, in fourth place, five points off the pace, will probably hope for a draw at the Emirates and try to make up ground with a win at Wigan Athletic later on Saturday.

They will be hoping for more from Frank Lampard after the England midfielder scored a hat-trick in their 4-3 League Cup win over Leicester City in midweek.

Manchester City, third on 22 points, do not play until Monday night when they host Sunderland. By then they could be trailing Blackburn Rovers (fifth) or sixth-placed Liverpool, who meet at Ewood Park tomorrow evening.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

BoyU lucky to get a draw, as expected Arsenal's

Big SidEEE!!! dominated the game for 70-80 minutes, and if it wasnt for the unlucky own goal by Gallas things would have been different.

As I know Big SidEEE!!! is the best team in Europe for sure. The late comers will soon see this.

Anyway some will say a draw is a fair result.... yeah right...

Big SidEEE!!! Full Team pressure stiffled BoU's attacker and they just looked to counter attack like all other teams, putting 9 men behind the ball with outlets to a striker, in this game it was Rooney. Arsenal are used to this now and have more composure even when behind without pressing the panic button.

Ohh and Almunia doesnt give me confidence, he was stranded on more then 2 occassions. Is it time for Lehmans recall? He just isnt a team player with all his silly comments.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...w-kit-0708.gif the wisdom and courage of my mind and the strength and vigour of my body", to enable them to enjoy a better life. I ask God's blessings on our nation. I ask for His guidance on the government that I will lead as we face the challenges of the future. I know that we can't even walk without Him holding our hands. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aa20b58a33.gif

Comment

A match analysis

Not What We Expected, But Enthralling Anyway

Posted 03/11/07 15:19
        EmailPrintSave

There will be the inevitable claims that the ManYoo v Arsenal clash was a disappointment. It was a victim of hype that it could never live up to.

I disagree.

It wasn't the free-flowing, attacking spectacle that we all hoped it would be. It was attritional. It was tough. At times it wasn't particularly pretty.

However it was exciting. Any game with a finish like that is bound to grab you.

However, the main reason it entralled me was the fascinating tactical battle between the two best managers in the world.

Alex Ferguson knew that if he tried to play the sort of attacking play that won them the league last season then Arsenal would take them apart. Instead, he closed down the midfield and allowed Cesc Fabregas, Tomas Rosicky and Alex Hleb virtually no room to do anything, let alone spray passes around.

It also displayed how far Arsenal have come since last season. Instead of allowing themselves to be bullied or out-fought, Arsenal carried on trying to play their way through, and on occasion they succeeded.

The game was perfectly summed up by the man that thought he'd scored the winner for United. Cristiano Ronaldo was one of the men that we hoped would provide some excitement and attacking football, but he was virtually anonymous until he popped up in the 82nd minute to score.

It was a side-foot into an open goal. Not the pacey run followed by a powerful finish that so many of Ronaldo's goals have been over the last year, but it did the job for United.

And that was what the game was like. Not always pretty, perhaps not what we hoped for or expected, but it excited and entralled anyway.

Nick Miller

Comment

Working...
        X